Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cabin Room

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2003, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin Room

If you are here on this board you are undoubtedly a fan of the WRX and of course the EVO VIII. Picking between the two is subjective...they both put out monster power and stats on the track and real world performance and are both aesthetically pleasing to the eye (new WRX) depending on who you ask. For me I am looking for the ultimate daily commuter with which I can still have my daughter, freinds and family go along for the ride. For you lucky folks already owning an EVO, what kind of feedback do you have regarding interior cabin space. The numbers for the EVO are 95.1 cu/ft and WRX sedan 87.6 cu/ft. How do these numbers translate to passenger comfort. Without having rode in either vehicle, the WRX rear seating looks awful cramped for long hauls where the EVO actually looks to have ample room for 5. Thanks ahead of time ALL for any info
Old Apr 6, 2003, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

The EVO has a hell of a lot of room inside. Dunno how the other people in your car will feel about the ride tho, prolly a little rough for the average person.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 08:57 PM

Riding in the evo is like riding in a go kart. You feel every bump in the road. On long trips or rough roads that gets old. Sure it will handle good because of that. Thats the trade off the evo has always been. The sti has a reputation as always being a little more daily driver. I personally am waiting for the STI. It will be a little smaller on the inside. But the car will not be as rough to ride in as a daily driver. But still alot of fun when I open her up and hit some curves. Both these cars are going to be coming in at the same price give or take about $1000. I say just wait till june and see if you can get a ride in both then descide.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

its not as rough as everybody says it is. quit being a bunch of pussies. its not bad and i love having a rough ride, as long as it handles

who cares what the other passengers think? if they don't like it, don't let them ride in it!
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by dlowman
I personally am waiting for the STI. It will be a little smaller on the inside. But the car will not be as rough to ride in as a daily driver. But still alot of fun when I open her up and hit some curves. Both these cars are going to be coming in at the same price give or take about $1000. I say just wait till june and see if you can get a ride in both then descide.
I was under the impression that the STI is going to be much closer to the $34K mark...
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

I think your in the wrong car class!
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:19 AM

I have not sat in the 2004 WRX (none available in my area yet). If you live in an area where these are available, it will be nearly identical in seating room to that of the STi. The seats are different between the standard WRX and the STi. I have driven and sat in the 2002 model WRX. I have also sat in the EVO but have not driven it. Test drives of the EVO are not allowed by the dealer near me. Between those two (2002 WRX and EVO), the EVO definitely has more leg room. It probably has more head room also, if you do not get the sun roof. I was very surprised by the room in the back seat. The seats in the EVO were much more supportive than the WRX. They were awesome for factory buckets. As for room for five, I don't think so. Maybe for a shot ride the squeeze would be ok. Historically the EVO has always had a stiffer ride that the STi. If that holds true the STi's ride should be a little softer. But I'm willing to bet that it will be just marginally so. Only time will tell. Unless of course some of those in the know (press given test drives, come on Shiv we won't tell) were willing to log in under an assumed name and tell us. Which will be more comfortable for a ride along? That will probably be the EVO for the trip to the mall(a little more leg room). In a lengthy commute the STi woul probably be a little better. Which will be more comfortable on a long haul? That would be your other vehicle, whatever that may be.
The rumors for pricing on the STi is $30,995. The comparable EVO (big wing not sun roof) is $29,467. The diff is $1,528. A nice chunk of change. Along with the difference in price the STi is also lacking a sound system. The STi does have a few extra performance gismos for the extra loot. Those would be 6 speed MT, front LSD and DCCD. I'm not certain that any of that will make a difference. I'm pretty certain that the two vehicles will be close enough in performance that the feature between the seat and steering wheel will make the biggest difference.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by AustinEvo8
I think your in the wrong car class!
Dude, my wife is like we're getting a van!!! Hell na!! An SUV is out of the equation being too pricey/ a gas guzzler, so to satisfy both camps, we are opting for a sedan for the three of us. The appeal for me with the new EVO and STI are that they are the upper echelon of 4 door performance sedans let alone the attainable $30K price tag. Lucky for me being in the present market for a new car I have the opportunity to pick up a super car EVO or STI. Life is grand eh Though the IS300 Sportcross and the new Dodge Magnum is also in the running. Tough decisions right
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by STiDreams
I'm pretty certain that the two vehicles will be close enough in performance that the feature between the seat and steering wheel will make the biggest difference.
I agree. The way it's looking the new STI is definitely going to be a couple grand more minus a radio. Basically we won't know exactly how the cabin room will be until a US spec STI is released, driven, and scrutinized side by side with the EVO.

Last edited by machomachacho; Apr 7, 2003 at 01:43 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Cabin Room

Originally posted by machomachacho
If you are here on this board you are undoubtedly a fan of the WRX and of course the EVO VIII. Picking between the two is subjective...they both put out monster power and stats on the track and real world performance and are both aesthetically pleasing to the eye (new WRX) depending on who you ask. For me I am looking for the ultimate daily commuter with which I can still have my daughter, freinds and family go along for the ride. For you lucky folks already owning an EVO, what kind of feedback do you have regarding interior cabin space. The numbers for the EVO are 95.1 cu/ft and WRX sedan 87.6 cu/ft. How do these numbers translate to passenger comfort. Without having rode in either vehicle, the WRX rear seating looks awful cramped for long hauls where the EVO actually looks to have ample room for 5. Thanks ahead of time ALL for any info

Well I can't comment on the latest WRX, but I did own an 02 WRX, and can tell you that the EVO VIII is definitely more roomy.

The rear seat, in particular, has a lot more room. My EVO has the sunroof, and this does impact rear seat headroom slightly. I am 5'11" and I don't have any issues, but if I were over 6'2" tall it might be cramped.I think hauling five adults would be easier in the EVO.

The front seat area also feels a little more roomy in the EVO, but that may have more to do with the dash layout differences and the way the steering wheel and instruments fit ergonomically.

As far as ride comparison, the stock WRX is pretty plush in comparison to the race oriented firmness of the EVO's suspension. The EVO is about as firm as you can get without compromising normal drivability. That said I also believe that the WRX is probably a more comfortable daily driver...I guess we will see how the new STi measures-up !
Old Apr 7, 2003, 02:27 AM

Definitely. Soon enough my friend...As far as the interior, isn't the new WRX identical to your '02, though I could be wrong with the STI.

I am 5'10.5" so sounds like headroom should be fine. Adding a sunroof decreases headroom??? Well, I'm one of those guys who need to have the moonroof so I could do one of these out the roof of my new street-legal thoroughbred race car. hehehe!!!
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Hi there,

The biggest difference between the WRX/STi and the EVO is rear seat leg/knee room. The Sube has a little. The EVO has much more. The driving position in the EVO, IMHO, is also a bit more natural. Unfortunately, this will vary from person to person since it doesn't have the same adjustability as the driver's seat in the Suby. I also like the pedal placement and the view out the front windshield better. The STi, while nice, does have that big scoop that blocks a good part of the view. I often had to lean to the side to see parts of the road ahead of me

Cheers,
shiv
Old Apr 7, 2003, 03:25 PM

The driving position in the 2002 WRX was fine for me. The EVO on the other hand seemed a bit odd. While the seats were fantastic, I could not find a position that was the right distances for both my hand and feet from the pedals and the wheel. This was just sitting in the show room. It might have been different if I were able to take it on the road. As previously stated, this will be different from person to person.

Hey Shiv,

I know there is an embargo on information for the STi. But can you compare the rides of the two vehicles. I'm not asking for performance handling data, just ride. If you can speak to that, please do. Although if you would like to speak about handling data, I will be more than happy to listen. I also have some concerns about the hood scoop as I'm not a very tall person (5'7"). If you don't mind me asking. How tall are you?

Thanks