Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Installing brackets to mount subwoofer box. Are these spots safe? Pic.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing brackets to mount subwoofer box. Are these spots safe? Pic.

Hey guys. I'm installing a small sealed subwoofer box in my trunk and need to install two brackets through the metal of the trunk floor to keep it from moving around. Each bracket is using two 3/4" long self tapping metal screws and need to be placed in the circled red locations. I just want to make sure i don't put a hole through my gas tank or anything. With a short screw like i'm using, will i risk hitting anything?

Old Apr 2, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone?

I may just lift the car with my floor jack and take a real good look at whats going on under there. I'm pretty sure its safe due to it being the area on each side of the rear diff. I think the tank is situated just foward of these locations.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Andrew, you're killin us with all these stereo threads. Damn, it's an Evo, man!
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go buy some bungy cords, buy some big eye bolts, and strap it to the upper part of the trunk. That's what I did, and I didn't have to drill into the car.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Andrew, you're killin us with all these stereo threads. Damn, it's an Evo, man!
LoL. So Evo's aren't allowed to have soundsystems? You kill me Warrtalon. Its only two threads man. I'm sure there are far more threads out there that deserve you dropping a deuce in.

There are plenty of Evo owners who like to listen to some good tunes while doing 'spirited' driving. If you lived here in SoCal and had to endure our traffic... you'd go nuts without music.

Plus i did plenty of searching and couldn't find anything on the two topics i began. So in the end, threads like this will be very helpful in the future for others who are going to upgrade their stock sound systems and run a search when they run into problems or questions.

And just to make you happy, i'll be posting up my engine mods soon which are in the process of being bought and built once everything is ready for installation. Exhaust, MBC, custom dyno tune, fuel pump, boost/oil/egt gauges, and a few other things.

Anyways.... i've decided to bolt it down a different way. I need to get two L brackets bigger than the ones i have in this photo and connect it to the metal where the rear deck meets the seatback.

Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
Go buy some bungy cords, buy some big eye bolts, and strap it to the upper part of the trunk. That's what I did, and I didn't have to drill into the car.
Got a pic? I already have two eye bolts screwed into the bottom center of both the left and right sides of the box from where i mounted it in my last car. I don't know about using something that stretches to hold the box in place considering its weight (Boston Pro Series 12's weigh a lot). Perhaps some heavy black nylon cord or something.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

you should get rid of that stock sub box it just doesn't look right
Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah. I was about to pull it out but the damned carpet doesn't cover the area where its mounted. LoL. So i'm going to keep it there until i can get a carpet piece from a non SSL car.
Old May 7, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how does that stock sub sound. if it sounds pretty decent then i will give u the carpet out of my mr in trade for that stock sub