Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

do they sell these in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do they sell these in the US?

The flap on the back of the wing.. its suppose to be functional but not a lot of people on here have them?

Last edited by Derek888; Apr 12, 2006 at 01:32 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah its like an extra $250 from the dealership
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Functional? How so?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Creates more downforce.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

^Really? I tell ya what you drive a stock one then drive one with that little lip thingy and tell me if you notice a difference at 100.

I can gaurantee you it is pointless. Just like the cf hoods, and the vortex generator. Its not going to be the difinitive factor in winning a race at 160mph. Its pointless to have period.

Its like putting a wing/spoiler on a fwd car.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

"Wickerbill Extension"
I think it's part of the "Zero Lift Kit" package which also includes a smoother front undercover or something and who knows what else.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

yes its functional

Last edited by Derek888; Apr 12, 2006 at 01:32 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
^Really? I tell ya what you drive a stock one then drive one with that little lip thingy and tell me if you notice a difference at 100.

I can gaurantee you it is pointless. Just like the cf hoods, and the vortex generator. Its not going to be the difinitive factor in winning a race at 160mph. Its pointless to have period.

Its like putting a wing/spoiler on a fwd car.

Kinda like putting a widebody kit on an Evo...or a shorty antennae, or sideskirts with air vents in them, or even perhaps (dare I say it) new wheels! Will you notice those at 100 mph?

For most people it's about style. So unless you're a mechanical engineer and can give us definitive proof of it's "pointlessness", then try some constructive criticism.

And many NASA racers have spoilers on FWD cars, it's called downforce and works on any vehicle.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
Kinda like putting a widebody kit on an Evo...or a shorty antennae, or sideskirts with air vents in them, or even perhaps (dare I say it) new wheels! Will you notice those at 100 mph?

For most people it's about style. So unless you're a mechanical engineer and can give us definitive proof of it's "pointlessness", then try some constructive criticism.

And many NASA racers have spoilers on FWD cars, it's called downforce and works on any vehicle.
Well of course its about style which is what my point is. And btw, a widebody kit does much more for the aerodynamic balance of a vehicle than a 5mm lip does. If you want to equivocate the difference in cfm^2 area of air mass of the differences of the 2 we can.

O and btw, that has nothing to do with mechanical engineering. Aeronautical engineering would be more suitable for such a diatribe.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
Well of course its about style which is what my point is. And btw, a widebody kit does much more for the aerodynamic balance of a vehicle than a 5mm lip does. If you want to equivocate the difference in cfm^2 area of air mass of the differences of the 2 we can.

O and btw, that has nothing to do with mechanical engineering. Aeronautical engineering would be more suitable for such a diatribe.
Actually, as a mechanical engineer I can tell you that this is something that a mechanical engineer can analyze. Theoretically, the lip should make a difference. For the average user it probably isn't very useful, as the small amount of downforce it creates may only reduce stopping distances from 100 mph by a few inches or increase cornering speeds on high-speed sweepers by 0.1 mph. But for someone that races their car it may end up taking a tenth off of their lap times. It's not a difference anyone will be able to feel, but it will increase the limits of the car by a small amount.

-Paul
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
Actually, as a mechanical engineer I can tell you that this is something that a mechanical engineer can analyze. Theoretically, the lip should make a difference. For the average user it probably isn't very useful, as the small amount of downforce it creates may only reduce stopping distances from 100 mph by a few inches or increase cornering speeds on high-speed sweepers by 0.1 mph. But for someone that races their car it may end up taking a tenth off of their lap times. It's not a difference anyone will be able to feel, but it will increase the limits of the car by a small amount.

-Paul
Very well noted. May I ask where you work as an engineer? My uncle is a mechanical engineer. He is the head mechanical engineer for Lockheed Martin in his division. He heads up a program called CCTT(aka Close Combat Tactical Training) its basically test equipment for the DoD. In a nutshell they are high priced combat video games.

I myself am a aeronautical engineer student studying in the field of kenetics, aerospace propulsion, and of course aerodynamics in the field of aeronautics.

I am currently an intern for Boeing Int within SPAWAR. And hope to someday when I graduate land a job with my uncle or with Boeing.

Well just curious. I was hoping maybe its a small world and you worked in my unit or something.

To elaborate on your thesis, the lip theoretically does much more than just create downforce on a vehicle. You are forgetting that when this downforce occurs not only is it creating the stability element that enforces the vehicles grounding integrity which enables it to handle much much better and precisely, but because of this will cause the tires themselves to last a little longer. The more out of control you are the more slippage on the tires which means the more friction and whenever we have friction we have wear. Also the less tires the car has to use the less money is invested also the less times it has to take pit stops. Also because of the downforce and the increased stability of the vehicle the driver will end entering and exiting turns better and faster. Braking will be minimized. Same with the fuel.

Like I said, I know all the dynamics of this piece of equipment. However, it is hardly niticeable and it will not be used to its potential for daily use. Its more of a show part for the car.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know of a vendor that might carry this?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

its part of the aero package when you buy the IX
Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

unlike most threads that make you feel more stupid than when I started reading, this thread makes me feel smarter with all you rocket scientists. Thanks everyone
Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

its stock on MR's along with the shark teeth, i mean vortex generator