Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Who's 2006 Rattles at Idle?!?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2006, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i have a fairly new 9 and i get the same type of noise.....was worried at first but...seemed kind of normal and asked some people nothing to worry about i guess.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

I have it too... I didn't really hear it until I put the exhaust on... Sometimes, if I turn off the AC it goes away???
Old Sep 24, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

i guess i,m lucky with evo,s, never a rattle or squeak of any kind in my 03 8 and not a rattle squeak or any kind of vibration in my BR350, not even break squeal.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

input shaft bearing. i had the same noise on my 05 evo. dealer opened up the trans and replaced. quieter now but still a little noisy.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:08 PM

rattle from where?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:54 AM

Red face transmission rattling noise

gsrb80. let me guess, a mitsu dealer told u noises from clutch area engaged or disengaged is normal. you say noise goes away when you press in clutch. then it was not your tob, due to the fact, when you disengage clutch your tob expands to disengage your trans so you can shift, so that is the only time for your tob to make noise. when your clutch is not pressed, the tob is not floating, it is locked in place until you disengage the clutch again[ press clutch to floor.] if evo owners are getting rattling, knocking, and metal rubbing noises when just driving , in gear and foot off the clutch, and gets louder when airconditioner is on, and then magically goes away when they press in clutch, then you do not need to be a mechanic , or a rocket scientist to know it is either your clutch disc , or your inputshaft bearing. if you first start up your car in the morning, and it rattles when you take your foot off clutch, it is your inputshaft bearing inside your tranny. inputshaft bearing is not turning smoothly, that can also cause your inputshaft to be out of spec. mitsu is either using cheap bearings or it is a manufacturig problem. i hope you have a fat ***, because it is a tranny problem, but you already know that because you were probably born after 1985. dont belive the hype.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by mshain
gsrb80. let me guess, a mitsu dealer told u noises from clutch area engaged or disengaged is normal. you say noise goes away when you press in clutch. then it was not your tob, due to the fact, when you disengage clutch your tob expands to disengage your trans so you can shift, so that is the only time for your tob to make noise. when your clutch is not pressed, the tob is not floating, it is locked in place until you disengage the clutch again[ press clutch to floor.] if evo owners are getting rattling, knocking, and metal rubbing noises when just driving , in gear and foot off the clutch, and gets louder when airconditioner is on, and then magically goes away when they press in clutch, then you do not need to be a mechanic , or a rocket scientist to know it is either your clutch disc , or your inputshaft bearing. if you first start up your car in the morning, and it rattles when you take your foot off clutch, it is your inputshaft bearing inside your tranny. inputshaft bearing is not turning smoothly, that can also cause your inputshaft to be out of spec. mitsu is either using cheap bearings or it is a manufacturig problem. i hope you have a fat ***, because it is a tranny problem, but you already know that because you were probably born after 1985. dont belive the hype.
What if the noise doesn't show up when the car is cold - only once good and warmed up - still the input shaft bearing?

I went to two dealerships with this noise and was told it was normal. Not really trusting either (and getting frustrated at the lack of consensus on the Evo Forums) I took it to a friend of mine who does tranny work on BMWs.

He had the car for three days and brought in a friend of his who does work on Subies and Hondas.

Their verdict: Normal and not the input shaft bearing. Here's part of his explanation from the e-mail he sent me:

"The combination of your relatively light flywheel and lack of torsional dampening on the clutch disk is allowing torsional vibrations to get to the gear set. The gears on the primary shaft rattle from these vibrations and these are in turn transmitted through the tranny case as a clattering sound. This clattering sound is nothing more than the main drive teeth rocking back and forth in the countergear teeth. We also noticed that this sound is not present until the drivetrain is up to operating temp......input shaft bearing issues are often present from start-up.

Your only real recourse is to install a more dampened clutch disk or have a heavier (dual mass) flywheel installed. Personally, I would just put up with the sound. There are no longterm effects associated with this rattling.

If you know anyone else who has an Evo, ask them if this sound has intensified if they've gone to aftermarket cams. This would also confirm our analysis."

Anyway, that's two guys opinion after poking and prodding on my car for a few days. Whether they are right or not, I don't know. All I do know is that I don't like the sound, but can live with it if it's not hurting the car.

Last edited by Skiploder; Sep 26, 2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by mshain

Wrong guess. I dont do mitsubishi dealers or any other dealers for that matter never have never will IMO they tend to do more harm than good. All i know is this is common with tons of evos and does it in every EVO ive ever been in. I changed my clutch and now its gone. End of story Even if the imput shaft bering went its not that hard of a job anyway. No worse than doing the clutch agian.

Last edited by gsrboi80; Sep 26, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 06:14 AM

to skiploder. if rattle occurs only when transaxle fluid is warm, it is clutch disc, or maybe reverse idle gear. it has nothing to do with gears 1-5. if it is gears 1-5 that is a major problem. you know why you dont like the sound, because it is not normal. and yes, it is hurting youre evo. remember anything mechanical can break and also can be fixed if you have people that will investigate your concers, and have the experience to do so. also, cams are not a direct and proximate result of the rattle, cams may make the rattle worse,but not the cause. dealer tells you normal, because they do not want to take the time, money, or do the work that needs to be done to repair the car properly. think about it, if enough people are complaining about something, then something is wrong. people in general, dont complain about cars unless they are having a problem with them. dont belive the hype.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:56 AM

I also experienced this problem too. It seems like the noise is coming from the driver's side wheel area or underneath the shifter. I never noticed it until I turned off my radio and it was quiet in the morning but its not that big of a deal I guess...

Last edited by tmd1183; Apr 10, 2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:11 AM

Bringing the thread from 2006. Sorry, but I'd be really interested to know what happen to those rattling evos here now, in 2011. For those who managed to live with the rattle noise and still own the cars, your trannys still OK?
The reason I ask is because I have the exact same rattling at idle but goes away when clutch in. If it does not harm the tranny, I can live with it.