Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bunch of Q's ( Turbo timer, Lojack etc )

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2003, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bunch of Q's ( Turbo timer, Lojack etc )

Hi,

I've just bought an Evo and have a few Q's I'd like to run by the list :

1, After driving how long should you wait to cool the turbo down ? I think the delaer or the promo video said 2-3 minutes. But that's getting old REAL fast. I'm kind of thinking this is only really necessary if I've been driving the car hard and then park somewhere. But if I'm pottering around town in heavy rush hour traffic - stop starting all the time maybe 20-30 seconds is OK.

Any comments ?

2, Related to 1, above I've been told I could fit a turbo timer to do the cool down for me. Anybody have any recommendations ? Where to get it fitted ? Do it myself ?

3, It says in the blurb the Evo has an Engine immobilizer. Is this sufficient or is it worth jack and I need an alarm ? Better still shoudl I cough up for Lojack ?
Pros and cons I see :

Alarm : will only stop the honest thief. Real Pros aren't bothered by them. People ignore alarms these days anyway. No matter how good the alarm is. The real pro could always flat bed the car away anyways and work on it at their leisure.

LoJack : No visual warning so the casual thief could be in the car and away with it. Drive it fast lose control, total my pride and joy.
Maybe have a chance of getting back the car from a Pro, if I get to know the thing has been taken in time and get to notify the cops before the pros have had time to work on finding the LoJack / have been able to take it somewhere the signal will be blocked out ??

Any comments ?
Old Apr 11, 2003, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Get a Turbo timer well worth it and look into a Clifford Matrix RS3 alarm very nice. Also you may want a Turbo boost guage, but the others should be a must.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Bunch of Q's ( Turbo timer, Lojack etc )

Originally posted by Gormless
Hi,

I've just bought an Evo and have a few Q's I'd like to run by the list :

1, After driving how long should you wait to cool the turbo down ? I think the delaer or the promo video said 2-3 minutes. But that's getting old REAL fast. I'm kind of thinking this is only really necessary if I've been driving the car hard and then park somewhere. But if I'm pottering around town in heavy rush hour traffic - stop starting all the time maybe 20-30 seconds is OK.

Any comments ?

2, Related to 1, above I've been told I could fit a turbo timer to do the cool down for me. Anybody have any recommendations ? Where to get it fitted ? Do it myself ?

3, It says in the blurb the Evo has an Engine immobilizer. Is this sufficient or is it worth jack and I need an alarm ? Better still shoudl I cough up for Lojack ?
Pros and cons I see :

Alarm : will only stop the honest thief. Real Pros aren't bothered by them. People ignore alarms these days anyway. No matter how good the alarm is. The real pro could always flat bed the car away anyways and work on it at their leisure.

LoJack : No visual warning so the casual thief could be in the car and away with it. Drive it fast lose control, total my pride and joy.
Maybe have a chance of getting back the car from a Pro, if I get to know the thing has been taken in time and get to notify the cops before the pros have had time to work on finding the LoJack / have been able to take it somewhere the signal will be blocked out ??

Any comments ?
Ok in response to your questions here are my findings

1) Ignore the video. If your driving like an average non sports minded citizen let it cool for 30-45 secs under normal driving.
Semi-hard driving go for 1.5 min up to 3minutes MAX when driving really hard for long periods of time. You can even go beyond that to be safe. I say for hard driving in short bursts or doing the 1/4 mi let it stand for 2 minutes.

2) I'm kicking myself now because I just installed my turbo timer and I didn't take pics during install for a tech guide. Sorry guys. It's not super difficult but can be a pain due to contorting one's body to look under the dash,etc. If you have any technical savvy or installation experience it should be a snap. As long as you get the harness. I have an HKS Turbo Timer type 0 black to match dash and an HKS harness. It's literally plug n play with the exception of the rpm wire and the parking break wire. I like a clean install so I tie wrapped everything and made it clean and neat. I'll take some pics to show the install.

3) Mine came with an alarm which I like mainly to open my doors and lock them. I have LoJack for reduced insurance rates albeit not much. Also to get my car back although it can be stripped. The immobilizer is through the key itself. So as long the thief doesn't have your key he won't be moving the car.

In short, get an alarm if you don't have one cuz if "you're" close enough you can do something about it. And it's nice to not have to use the key to open doors or lock them. Plus, I truly believe if someone SEES a person up to no good in a car with the alarm blaring they'll do something in someway to help. Problem is most people only hear the things and prefer to ignore.
Get a turbo timer and harness. It's a real drag sitting in the car everytime you park. It's not super expensive and it's well worth the leisure of being able to leave your car immediately.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 07:17 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they want us to leave out cars on for 2mins why don't they just give us a temperature controll factory turbo timer
Old Apr 11, 2003, 07:23 PM

Evilution,

Thanks for the tips. But when you are talking about your alarm that locks and unlocks the doors, are you talking about the key fob that came with the car. If you are, then I have that.

gtr,

>If they want us to leave out cars on for 2 mins why don't they...

My thoughts exactly - if it's critical to the reliability of the car then they SHOULD build it in.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by gtr
If they want us to leave out cars on for 2mins why don't they just give us a temperature controll factory turbo timer
Because they expect the car to be in gear when parked. Can't to that with a turbo timer - you have to leave it in netrual.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

They do say in the owners manual to idle for 60 seconds before turning the car off. The Blitz TT has a built in boost gauge and other neat features that make it seem like a good deal at $110-120.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 08:19 PM

In regards to having a turbo timer and an alarm, how will they work together? I don't think you can turn the alarm on while the engine is idling, can you? If not, do you need to wait for the 2-minute idling to complete before you can arm the alarm?
Old Apr 15, 2003, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

I had a '95 Talon TSi AWD with an alarm and turbo timer. Do the turbo timer first, and when you bring the car in for an alarm, tell the installer. There's wiring they can do to bypass the turbo timer, to make the car lock and arm, even with the timer running the car.

What's this video you guys are talking about? Is the car supposed to come with a video? If so, I'm gonna have to go back to the dealership and *****, cuz I didn't get 1.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

gormless, i feel that your best bet is to have a 2-way alarm installed that includes remote start. I got on installed last week, and it allows me to leave the car running just as a turbo timer, and either turn it off remotely, or let the timer expire, plus you have the benefits of a great alarm.

immobilizer will stop most from stealing your car, but personally i'm more worried about people breaking into car and/ or stripping it, for which a nice 2-way alarm is good...

Lojac doesnt seem worth it on an immobilized car for those reasons.
any DEI 2-way alarms is good, I got a hornet 554t, and am loving it.

as for the arming vs. turbo timer, the alarm simply lets you hit a button before you turn off the car, then it will beep, unlock the doors, and allow you to remove key w/ engine still running. then you can exit, arm/ lock the car, and the alarm is armed, with shock sensor bypassed, until the engine turns off, then it is activated again.

Last edited by Thwack; Apr 15, 2003 at 09:39 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

I am curious. could some please explain the immobolizer. what it does exactly. What keeps a theif from stealing a car with it on or is it completely impossible. I am install a 2 way alarm next week, but debating if i want the gps tracker on it also.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Well the immobilizer they explain in the card that comes with your keys. Each key has a built in chip that UNLESS that key is used the car won't start. You'll notice a little metallic tag with a number on it. Don't lose that. If you lose your keys you'll need that to get a new key to start your car. I'm sure there's a way around this but it's probably a serious biatch.