Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

bad vibration coming out of first gear?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bad vibration coming out of first gear?

Whenever the car is launched or if I don't slip the clutch well enough (i.e. trying to go up an incline from a stop) the whole car starts vibrating. Is this a sign that my transfer case is dying, OR is it an improperly setup clutch!? Anyone?
Old Jun 4, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what RPM is it at when this happens?
Old Jun 4, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

happens to me with the twin disk at low rpms.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to know the answer to this one too. The same thing happens to me, I have the exedy triple carbon.

The wierd thing is that it seems to be a new problem, I hadn't noticed it until the last few days. . .

Hopefully someone will have some insight for us!
Old Jun 4, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

It also happens at low rpms...I haven't had the transmission off to see what clutch is installed. It seems VERY VERY grippy so I think it is a twin disc as well. So I guess it is best to be careful and never dump the clutch when launching (instead slipping the clutch) to reduce the shock to the drivetrain...I thought it was my transfercase but I have no drivetrain noise at all...
Old Jun 4, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Does this happen during the slipping of the clutch or when the gear is already engaged? RPM?
Old Jun 4, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

This problem only happens during the slipping of the clutch (getting into first from a dead stop). It never happens when a gear is already engaged. For example, I am at a stoplight, and I rev the engine up to 2000 rpms, and accidently let go of the clutch too fast: the whole car shakes violently and once I get going, its fine. In this same scenario if I instead raise the rpms to 3000 rpms and SLOWLY let the clutch down (slipping the clutch) and wait for the car to start moving before fully letting go of the pedal the car goes forward without any types of vibrations at all. WEIRD.

Originally Posted by spudlus
Does this happen during the slipping of the clutch or when the gear is already engaged? RPM?
Old Jun 4, 2006, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

This happens to me on my stock clutch when my car's cold in the morning. Once is warmed up its fine, but when it's cold it does it like crazy.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

if everything is installed right then IMO it seems normal since you've got a racing clutch, the feel is diffrent in 1st gear, you need to get use to reving and slipping the clutch perfectly, i dont think theres anything wrong with the car.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

You have no idea how relieved this makes me feel.

Originally Posted by Whistling IX
if everything is installed right then IMO it seems normal since you've got a racing clutch, the feel is diffrent in 1st gear, you need to get use to reving and slipping the clutch perfectly, i dont think theres anything wrong with the car.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Whistling IX
Yup thats about right
Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still wondering if it is normal. It is something new happening on my car, doesn't seem right.

I have the same scenario's as the original poster. It only happens when coming out of first, and no problems in other gears.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

same here. stock clutch w/38000 miles and it does it when cold but after a warmup its normal.
very grabby when cold
Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

also when I first got mine I thought the same thing. but I belive it just takes a few more rpm's to get the awd going. I was used to driving a built mustang with gobs of low end tq so it did take some getting used to
Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo1337
same here. stock clutch w/38000 miles and it does it when cold but after a warmup its normal.
very grabby when cold
IMO, if something was wrong with the car then it wouldnt go away with a warm up, Always give the car a proper warm up, try not to start it and move straight away, isnt healthy for the car. Warm it up properly before driving and check if it does it again, goodluck!

Quick Reply: bad vibration coming out of first gear?