Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Locked my keys in my CAR!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locked my keys in my CAR!!

I was carrying a bunch of stuff out of my car like groceries and what not and i pushed the button on the door to lock it!! What was i thinkin??? I come out to my car a couple hours looking for my keys and there they are sitting right in the ignition. Great job Karl! I figured that i would give it a try and trying to break in before calling a locksmith. So for first couple of minutes i try using a coat hanger on the front passenger side door trying to grab the handle and open it. I get it and the door doesn't open so i'm like wtf!!$# it must not open with the doors locked which doesn't make sense. I take a break for alittle while to think about my options. oh yeah i forgot to mention i only have 1 set of keys. I'm in the air force stationed in england so it's kinda hard to get another set of keys. I was like forget it i will just call a locksmith. I call them up and they want 110 pounds to open it. I'm like are you kidding me? and click. If you don't know the exchange rate that's about 200 dollars. I'd almost be better off breaking the window. So i am determined to get this door open cause i'm not paying that ridiculous price. I go at it for about another 5 hours trying to get the the lock button above the handle with a hanger. I finally get it and i get in to find that you can open it with the handle locked on the driver's side. So i'm a idiot i could have got it open from the driver's side in no time. Don't lock your keys in the car. If you don't have a spare get one asap cause you never know. I will never ever push the button on the doors to lock the car! EVER! i only did alittle minor damage with the hangar putting the door. Some paint chips and what not but i'll live with it. i'm a idiot. Lesson learned.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry to hear that bro and get another set of keys!
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, same thing happened to me once when i finished up washing her @ a self car wash place. Thats the worst people wanting to wash there car and ur there lookin like an idiot that cant even use your cell phone because its in the car long w/ the keys good times! glad i had a spare set!
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:13 AM

Karl, We all have/had those type problems. I bet you were majorly ticked off. I remember when I had a Datsun 240 and was out drinking at a bar and when it was time to leave I went up to a white Datsun 240 and put my key in the door and it would not open. I went to the passenger side and the key still didn't work I could not believe it. Then some guy walks out and he had the same white Datsun 240. He said try the car infront. I felt like a total arce. Good think I didn't have a babe with me.....
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Call Onstar.

J/k in the future try the "hide a key" man that thing comes in handy. Good luck!
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

I'd help but it would take me 8 hours to get there with my slimjim.Customs probably wouldn't like me carrying it with me either.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

If you have a local dealer in your area you could always have them make you a blank by your vin. They can cut a key for you in a matter of a few seconds Also if they have the cheap spares then you could end up only paying like 2-3 dollars.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

I have had it done twice. I just pay the price get a locksmith. They have it open in like one minute or less. They use this pump thing to avoid scratching your paint. Very easy and only $50.00 later, but you save your paint!
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

i wouldn't mind paying 50 bux but 200$! no way jose.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

I always find a neighbor I can trust and keep a dummy copy of my key with them. You can't start the car with the key since it doesn't have the chip but you can open the car with it. Saves a lot of time and aggrivation.

This saved me the one time that I decided on my way out the door to work to lock my keys in a running Evo. I had to go to my neighbors and he let me in my own car.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

AAA baby!
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

id get a spare key that is cut, but not programmed just for that reason. that way you are not outspending for a key that starts your car, just one that opens the doors just in case that happens. key with chip $120, reg key $5 big difference...
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i locked both my keys in my car one time lol.....i was moving back to my parents house in may for the summer (im a college student) and i had all my stuff in there and somehow i managed to lock my keys in my car with it still running...idk how lol...the car was really low on gas...so after 2 hours of idling it ran out of gas then the tow guy came after 3.5 hours of waiting and didnt bring gas like he was suppose to..so it turned into a huuuuge mess lol...so dont feel bad...at least in the u.s. we have free roadside for 5 years with the 2006's so it didnt cost my anything...just embarrasment and being called stupid 150 times by every1 who found out and my parents

cheers!
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch I hope I never do this.
Thankfully my wife has te spare!
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
that's why i hate cars that allows you to look all doors with the lock button on the driver's door. honda (and some other manufacture) has a safety feature to prevent this. if you hit the lock button on the door while the driver's door is open, all the doors will lock except for the driver's door unless you pull the handle out while hitting the lock button. the only other way to lock all doors is with the key from outside or with keyless remote. i've never looked keys in my honda but i done it twice in my friends cars because i accidentally hit the lock button while getting out and the keys in the ignition.

Quick Reply: Locked my keys in my CAR!!