Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Feelings on ACD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2006, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtr
Perhaps he's talking about a Galant VR 4
Galant VR-4's were only available in the US for 2 years 91-92.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 03:08 AM

yea sorry 93 was typo.... u guys you the gist of it... I was told that ACD was far better when it came to sharp cornerning and overall traction. I was also told that it was computer driven as well as mechanical so you can't simply upgrade an 03 with the system. It rains ALOT where I live so it would be helpful on the mtn roads in the rain, but worth the 3-5k difference I am seeing in the price between an 03 and an 05 or 06.... I am really starting to weigh the benefits. Is there a differential with a mechanical LSD that can be bought aftermarket that will essentially mechanically do what the ACD does electronically? Basically my understanding is that it (the acd) acts much liike the audi system and distributes power automatically to the wheels with the most traction. If this is true and it is computer oriented more than mechanical then it is basically a very advanced traction control system that in my experience usually get in the way of things more than they help. But if it is pretty much just a mechanical differential with a LSD (limited slip diff) then basically Ill upgrade it later when I need a stronger diff for power/ prob at the same time my transfercase and or tranny goes out on the 40+ k mile 03 I am leaning towards. Does anyone know how this system actually works and whether it can be compensated for in the aftermarket?
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
acd is cool because

it runs in open diff mode when you are turning
3 times the differential limiting force of a viscous coupler (03-04)
the gravel mode works well in the wet.

but the 03 still drives a lot like the 05. you know that 04's came with a front LSD right? you should get an 04. the only thing I didn't like about my 03 was the open front.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrSmile
I keep the ACD on the tarmac setting. In that mode I know how the car will behave. I spun the Evo pretty nicely in the gravel setting, not because it made it more unstable, but I just wasn't familiar with how the car would handle in that mode. Overall nice concept but not really useful imho.
Yeah, its really hard to tell that the gravel mode does anything different than the tarmac mode. But I think it would reduce lap times of a bad driver in the wet.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

I thought that the 04 RS came with an LSD. The 04 GSR is an open diff.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:18 PM

its 2800 for aftermarket acd type system without the computer aid... so its mechanical.... from japan of course
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:29 PM

Frond and rear lsd's here... basically the ACD system would cost about 4k to reproduce mechanicically... with mech front and rear lsd's at 2800 and 1300 apeice...

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evotrn.htm

WOW!!! Us 03 guys be skewd against 05 or 06 guys at the track... if any of u guys sayw what acd could do on Top Gear when Jeremy Clarakson beat down a lambo v12 with a FQ400 with ACD it was awesome to see him abuse the acd in the episode find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU4jz...elated&search=

If you dont like the video... check your pulse... you are definately not well... worth the ten mins and DEMONSTRATES WHAT ACD DOES ON THE TRACK!!! WATCH!!!
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

i believe you might be mistaking the Super AYC (Active Yaw Control) which is not available in the US, with ACD, (Active Center Differential)
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

You won't notice ACD 99% of the time you do your daily driving. You will really only notice it when you drive the car to it's limits.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:32 AM

actually the car in the video has both because well evey other evo in the world does (after the 6 I think)... but it gets in the way of our emissions thingie so we dont get it here in the us.... but no ACD is what I was wondering about with traction being crazy on the track... the video is still GREAT... mainly I am wondering whether quarter mile times will be notcably different with a lsd or acd
Old Jun 23, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

If drag racing is your goal, I would go with a used 03 or 04 viscous coupling Evo and add a front LSD for strength, or go with TRE's spider gear upgrade.

there was a vendor on here that broke his 05 differentials on launches...and he just said screw it...and went with a replacement 04 transmission and t-case.

On a road course, I suspect the stock viscous coupler contributes a bit to initial understeer...but nothing you can't fix with a LSD, bars, and suspension adjustments.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chmodlf
I thought that the 04 RS came with an LSD. The 04 GSR is an open diff.
You're right. MaxR was wrong.