Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any one use HIR bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one use HIR bulbs?

I used to have HIR bulbs on my subaru wrx and they were great. I have a non-hid Evo IX and the lowbeams are pretty bad. I dont want to deal with the hasstle of installing an HID kit so I was thinking about running HIR's on my Evo also. Does any one here use them.

If you don't know what HIR bulbs are read here.

http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/Tem...6_Light&page=1

(summary)

HIR bulbs: HIR bulbs are the result of research done at General Electric. They maintain the filament positioning and dimensions of the 9005/9006 series bulbs. Where they differ from standard 9006/9005 bulbs is in the shape of the bulb “envelope” (the outer quartz covering of the bulb.) HIR bulbs have a spherical portion of the envelope designed in concert with an internal reflective coating to reflect heat from the filament that is normally wasted back on the filament to make it burn brighter. This reuse of normally wasted heat allows the bulb to produce more light without drawing more current. They also have a very slightly different base to prevent their use in 9005/9006 headlight housings.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW: I'm about to buy a pair of these for my non hid IX. I'll let you know how they go.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

where can u buy this bulb's?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

This guy on ebay has been selling them for years:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOSHI...spagenameZWDVW

This is a pretty good article (read all the pages for the full picture).

http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/Tem...e_Be_E36_Light

I just order 2 pairs (9006 and 9005) for 3 main reasons:

- When I had my scion tc which until recently had no easy projector solution, these were the only option without blinding everyone, everyone I knew who had a set loved them and they lasted as long as regular OEM bulbs.

- I could put HID's in my halogen projectors, but they're very expensive and the glare seems rather bad.

- For $100 + change I'll get 4 new bulbs with 30-40% more light that will last as long as my OEM's, have the same color and use the stock harness (same price as PIAA's which IIRC are teh stock bulbs).
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

its really no hassle in installing an HID kit, besides removing the bumper and unbolting the headlights. in all reality you would still have to remove the bumper and unbolt the headlights to change the bulbs. id suggest getting an HID kit, ive had them on my evo before and just recently bought a new kit. the light output of HIDS are phenomenal. id say give it a try. good luck with whatever you choose.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

OK update - I'll post some pictures this weekend.

I only installed HIR's on one side of the car (I'm a sucka for loving taking the bumper off, oh yes I am...not).

Anyway, initially I couldn't really see much of a difference. High beams I think you're onto a looser with the HIR's as they are actually 10 watts less power than the stock high beams, and in the halogen world there's no replacement for wattage'ment. Being aware that halogens have a break in period I didn't rush to pass judgment.

Now 2 weeks later, it is very clear when driving which side is brighter than the other, it has a much more solid lighting throw and as the beam wraps round the corners of the front it remains the same solid brightness rather than becoming dim like the OEM bulbs.

I installed on the passenger side, and whilst driving at night before the curb was very dimmly lit, not good for Fall in Deer country, now it's bright all the way up to the cut off.

I get maybe a good 0 - 80 degree solid cutoff on the passenger side, and only a 360 - 300 cutoff on the drivers side (hope that makes sense, just think of a 260 degree with 0 being straight out the front of the car).

We'll see how long they last - a long time I hope, because it really is a chore to change the bulbs (someone at mitsu needs to be shot for that design decision).

Anyway, pictures to come.

Finally, yes, I'm sure they are not as bright as HID's. But it's the best available while keeping the stock harness, wiring, fuses (safely), it doesn't give any noticeable increase in glare and if you only do your main beams it's a $50+ upgrade rather than a $300-500 upgrade.

I give them 2 thumbs up.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have any pics yet?
Old Dec 17, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Why do you say that stock high beams are brighter than HIR bulbs.
Are you sure you are comparing the low beams to a HIR 9012
and the high beams to a HIR 9011?

look here

http://www.finemotoring.com/stats.htm
Old Dec 17, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

any pics of these bulbs yet
Old Dec 18, 2006, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry, I'll get some pix up tonight, been silly busy.

Why do you say that stock high beams are brighter than HIR bulbs.
It's just a wild guess, I had assumed that the HIR was 55w on both bulbs, not 65w on the high beam one. When I installed them a realized that the stock high beam was 65w rather than 55w I assumed they'd be less bright. I hardly ever use my high beams, so maybe I'll check those out as well.

Gotta say I get happier and happier with the passenger side of my cars brightness. As soon as I'm off for Christmas I'm doing the other side.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pics please!!!!!!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

I'll see if I have some of the old pix, although early on they looked the same.

I was all set to do some pixs for comparison with the HID's I'm now installing, and then I hit a deer and smashed the HIR bulbs I installed in the passenger side.

Karma, happened the same day the HID's were delivered.