Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MR BBS wheel resiliance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MR BBS wheel resiliance

Wanted to know if anybody has a good idea on how scratch resistant these wheels are. I'm taking a trip in the near future to go camping in a place that has some nice loose gravel roads. I haven't taken the MR onto any dirt roads yet so I haven't put the wheels through this test but maybe some of you guys have? I'm just worried i'll come back with hazy or scratched up wheels as a result of a weak finish or something on them. Anybody ever put these to the light dry gravel test?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iceplant18
Anybody ever put these to the light dry gravel test?
Everyday. I live off of a gravelly dirt road. No problems. No worries. They shine just fine with nary a scratch.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

like any other "painted Alloy wheel"...I don't believe they are powder coated...but maybe more durable than a typical painted wheel.

Rocks can still chip them and a curb can still "ski" them up...as long as you don't do anything stupid they will be ok.
Thety aren't Fragile by any means.

I had a set for a little bit..they only had like 1 chip from the prev owner and of course I don't drive any Gravel roads.
That will do a job on any wheel.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

should be fine.. i would say if you where driving on these roads every day then i might worry about chips and whatnot. but just like everyone said, things should be ok.

enjoy your trip.

i just drove 1,400 miles in 2 days and from what I can tell, I didnt get one scratch or ding on my ride/wheels.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

My MR rims are chipped from the landscaping crew that does the mowing in my front of my house. I guess some rocks got under the mower and chipped them.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:21 AM

Okay well that helps give me a little confidence. I surely wont be doing anything stupid (on purpose). I just want to do a little rally style dirt drifting. I expect that the front wheels will kick up some dirt toward the rear wheels during this.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

id be more worried about your paint.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

the front wheels will kick rocks up onto your hood. I have had that happen a number of times on some of the fire roads here in Nevada. Let me tell you. Stock power on a dirt/gravel road is scary fast. Those brembos also feel like they dont work because the car slides so easily on the advans when on dirt. It is a blast. I spun my car around 360 deg at about 55mph. That was fun.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:50 AM

Shweeeeeeeet. Yea i'm a little worried about the paint but the paint on this car is sooo crappy to begin with i've already got a bunch of chips on my hood just from driving in general. I figure it's an excuse to get a carbon fiber hood in the future.