Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How much does your Mitsubishi dealer charge for an Evo oil change?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, almost $100 for an oil change, that sucks. I think the first (and last) time I took my car to the dealer for an oil change it was like $78. They charged me over $11 a quart for oil.

I'm now one of the DIY'ers. $20 for 5 quarts of Mobil1, $9 for a filter and the crush washer = <$30
Old Jul 23, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lcakes05
why would you pay someone to change the oil just doesnt make sense learn to do it yourself
I used to change my own oil all the time. At this point in my life, though, I'd just rather pay someone a few bucks so that I don't have to crawl under the car, get oil all over my hands, and have to deal with disposal. My time is worth more than that. It' not that people can't change their oil. They just don't want to.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alloyic_rs
5 bux for oil filter from mitsu, 1.30 for oil plug seal, about 30 bux for 5 quarts of oil = around 37 bux, DIY of course.

a guy here once made an excellent thread on a DIY way, jack the car up only to remove the passanger side front wheel, and the oil filter and drain plug is RIGHT THERE, simple simple simple, saves time and trouble from the dealer

I searched for that DIY but I couldn't find it.... if you find it post the link or pm me... thanks
Old Jul 23, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

how come nobody takes it to those lube places and change their oil?? right here they charge 39.99 for mobil1 synthetic 5 quarts and u get a free car wash. that's only a few $s more than doing it yourself if you wanna pay the extra 10 bucks for a car wash and not get yourself dirty.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

what's with Walmart bashing? it doesn't matter WHERE you change it, it only matters WHO changes it for you. The dude changing your oil at Jiffy Lube has a good chance he knows jack as well....

During the winter, I took it to walmart and the guy who normally changes it for me during cold months was a mechanical engineering student. He drives a built Eclipse GSX...and after graduation he is currently working at Honda as an engineer. Oh by the way..when he was in school he worked on this with his engineering group...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckeye_Bullet

I think changing oil was overkill for his skills.

But I still maintain that you should learn and do it yourself...it's actually pretty fun..

Last edited by mdosu; Jul 23, 2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turbolover
I personally would never let Wally world touch any part of my car!!!
I bet he's just buying the Mobil 1 at walmart.. 20.00 for the oil and then I guess he's buying some kind of super expensive filter.

If I need to take it to the dealer around oil change time I used to let them do it but I supply all needed parts and oil. $9.99 for the labor. Also I get a chance to get it on a lift and look it over at the same time. This week was one fo those times plus I needed them to check out a SES light so I took it in and also had them rotate my tires. The mitsu dealer scratched all 4 of my BBS wheels with a oversized socket on a impact wrench (FREAKING IDIOTS!!), I just noticed it on Saturday... no more dealership for me other than getting resolution on the wheels.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Jul 23, 2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by alloyic_rs
fuq that^ no way imma get some greasy walmart mexican touch my engine!
Man that really sucks I drive the same kind of car as you I thought people like you only drove "stangs" by the way I'm half mexican and was offended by your post why don't you post on some racist forum or somthing *** clown. what is a greasy white person better than a mexican to you. wake up and join us in the 21 century idiot
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Utah-evo
Man that really sucks I drive the same kind of car as you I thought people like you only drove "stangs" by the way I'm half mexican and was offended by your post why don't you post on some racist forum or somthing *** clown. what is a greasy white person better than a mexican to you. wake up and join us in the 21 century idiot
I'm not Mexican, but I hear ya. That was an extremely biased and stereotypical comment. Man, I thought we were past that...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:28 PM

OMG!! do it yourself!!! You'll save at least 60$ and you'll probably be using a better filter! 96$!!! sheesh!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:32 PM

HAHA i don't even have to jack it up or remove the wheel! I've done it so many times i could do it blind folded! ...or maybe it's cuz i'm skinny
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:59 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mathgeek
I used to change my own oil all the time. At this point in my life, though, I'd just rather pay someone a few bucks so that I don't have to crawl under the car, get oil all over my hands, and have to deal with disposal. My time is worth more than that. It' not that people can't change their oil. They just don't want to.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mathgeek
THANK YOU. This is exactly why I don't do it. I have better things to do than change it myself. I will look into the option where I buy from Costco and then find somebody to change it. One good thing is the dealer service guy recommended a new power steering belt and a new timing belt (70K miles) which Joe Schmo oil change guy wouldn't have done.

Wow. 40+ replies. Thanks for the input