Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

bad wheel bearing causes shaking?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad wheel bearing causes shaking?

lately whenever im driving and it doesnt matter how fast or slow im going there is a noise coming from one of the wheels. the noise sounds like something is thumping. it sounds sort of like when u driving with a flat tire. all my tire pressure is good. whenever i hit a bump the steerin wheel shakes and my steering wheel also shakes tremendously whenever i hit the brakes, even if my rotors were bad this wouldnt cause my steering wheel to shake whenever i hit a bump. it also shakes when i make turns at a certain speed. i can feel it on the steering wheel and the car when its makin that thumpin noise. it scares me sometimes because it feels like the wheel is loose or wants to come off while im driving but all the bolts are tight, i dont know what the problem is so any suggestions?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

obviously the culprit is something to do with the suspension. If it were a wheel bearing you would hear a loud roaring noise all the time. Especially when going around 50 mph. The only way your steering wheel would jerk like that if it were the bearing is if it was ready to come apart as of now.... I have seem some bad wheel bearings before but nothing really to make the steering wheel to jerk like your explaining. It seems to be in the front of the vehicle. So jack it up get the front wheels off the ground and when your car is in neutral and the wheels are on tight try to move the wheels from top to bottom with one hand on the top of the tire and one on the bottom and see if you can feel "ANY" play. And if you do have any then it is either a ball joint or a wheel bearing. If you have noticable play from left to right with your hands on the tires in the opposite locations then you have a bad tie-rod. It could be a bad control arm bushing or just about anything else. But hopefully this helps you out.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

nope no play at all..when i hit a bump u can hear this slight rattle like something is loose. it's getting really bad and it feels like the wheel is loose but all the bolts are tight and there is no play whatsoever
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds like your strut is shot. It is just working with the spring,no oil in it.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
The steering wheel would shake all the time from a bad wheel bearing. I am replacing my bearings right now and that was one of my symptoms.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Bad wheel bearing would make a noise when you turn and go away when you're going straight.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
Bad wheel bearing would make a noise when you turn and go away when you're going straight.

Not true... Depending on how bad it is. Normally you get a roaring noise when going straight and a lound grinding/rubbing noise when turning.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FLAEVO
It sounds like your strut is shot. It is just working with the spring,no oil in it.

the shaking was due to my rotors and you're right, the driver side shock has a leak and im lowered on stock shocks. a strut leak would cause a rattle when i go over bumps?? when i had my integra all the shocks was gone but it never rattled at all.