Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Red Evo's = no Clear Coat... Myth or fact????????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Red Evo's = no Clear Coat... Myth or fact????????

basically like what the title asks? is it true that red evos don't have a clear coat... i find this almost impossible....

i know how to tell but i dont have a red evo to test it on.... basically rub a small amount of compound and it and if i see red.... then no clear coat...

anyone have this experience???
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure all cars have clearcoat now-a-days. haha!

And I really doubt they would clear every other color and not just red. Think about it. Not to sound like a d1ck but this is just silly.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

I know on my 03 it was an added option to have the clear coat which mine does. So I would guess most do not since it is extra.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TURBevO8
I'm pretty sure all cars have clearcoat now-a-days. haha!

And I really doubt they would clear every other color and not just red. Think about it. Not to sound like a d1ck but this is just silly.

well talk to the guy who's post is #2

and how do u explain that a lot of red evo owners complaining about their red paint fading to light red/ pinkish???
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

My Evo is rally red and it does have a clear coat. In fact due to someone rear ending me I'm getting the whole back half of the car painted because it is required to properly match the red paint. The body shop says the the color is easy to match but the clear coat can make the color appear lighter or darker so you have to be careful.
I would add that the paint on the mirrors and the lower side skirts did fade a little but not to pink!

Last edited by Redcloud; Jul 24, 2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with TURBev08...

Every Evo is clearcoated, no matter the color. Believe me you would know, it's pretty obvious between a clearcoated car and a non-clearcoated. I used to have a car which was repainted and not re-clearcoated, it was very obvious.

glgz, either sounds like your dealer scammed you for an extra cost or maybe you misunderstood coat of wax for clearcoat...
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:41 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Rally Red does NOT have a clear coat from the factory. I've had two friends with damaged ones and both body shops were shocked to find out that they aren't cleared. IIRC, there's another original color that isn't cleared as well, maybe Lightning Yellow?

But Rally Red is not for sure. Any paint shop will tell you this when they pull the code.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

neither the red nor yellow are metallic colors, right?

i woudn't be suprised at all to find that they do not have a clear coat. clear coats have traditionally been applied to metallic finishes, if i'm not mistaken. the reason clearcoated cars are so common nowadays is that metallic finishes are so common. how many new cars do you see that aren't metallic? hell , even black is usually metallic now. i don't thnk a clearcoat is applied as some sort of mystical mark of quality...
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know the answer for sure, but it may be a paint process similar to what Honda and other Japanese automakers use for red paint where the finish coat is a "tinted" clearcoat:
Primer coat + Base Red coat + Translucent Red "Clearcoat"

Like my red S2000, for example - It has a clearcoat on the paint, but that "clearcoat" is actually tinted red. So if I wax the car, I get red rubbing off when I buff it.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

HEHE! No clear coat! I think I would know since I wax it weekly and have had a few paint repairs completed inwhich a clear coat was used. If what you are saying was true I would have a few spots of clear coat and none on the rest! Now this is only for my car so those guys could have got shafted!
Attached Thumbnails Red Evo's = no Clear Coat... Myth or fact????????-evo8.jpg  
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Well, if I rub hard enough I can get red to come off....

But the pen that came with my touchup paint had clear coat with it, and it doesn't show up as any different when I color it.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

the solid color cars are not clearcoated! atleast in 03 and 04 anyway! I know because i own a red one and paint cars everyday! the only thing clearcoated on them is the bumpers wich is really weird but thats just how it is and it sucks
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I know all the 03's were single stage paint, so there was really no clear coat. It would not make sense for mitsu to have two different paint lines so I would assume all were single stage paint. A painter friend of mine re-sprayed my car a couple years ago after an accident, he was shocked to find out the paint was single stage.

I think anyone that paid for a clear coat option just got paint sealer. BTW you can buy McGuiers #20 polymer sealant (same thing dealers sell for $500) for about $20 online.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

06's all colors are supposed to have clear coat... my 03 RR does not.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

+1 on the single stage. Ive had body shops tell me the same thing. And everytime I waxed the car, I got red on the buffer

Quick Reply: Red Evo's = no Clear Coat... Myth or fact????????