Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Red Evo's = no Clear Coat... Myth or fact????????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 02:11 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So, what's the verdict?

03-04 - no clear coat?
05 - ?
06 - clear coat?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Single Stage.

jeff
Old Jul 24, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I few months ago I looked thru the paint books at a PPG auto paint supplier which lists whether single stage or BC/CC as Original Equipment. The IXs are all cleared, even the non-metallic finishes like red. On the 2003-2004 only the metallics were cleared. I can't remember what they did in 2005. Single stage paint does not have "clear" mixed in it; it's just different colors mixed off the toner bank. You can mix clear and a single stage paint though if the chemistry is the same. I looked thru other makes as well and even BMW had some single stage on solid colors.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Less weight.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

shhh.... dont let the secret out
Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:26 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

When ****** was bidding on the contract to build Jeeps, they had a very hard time meeting the weight requirement. The weight was important, as it worked within the constraints imposed by being parachuted out of airplanes. ****** tried everything, including cutting the ends off protruding bolts. Nothing worked; the car still weighed more than spec'd until they used fewer coats of paint.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

what about 05 gg? may be a stupid question because it is metallic but does it have clear?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:47 PM
Account Disabled

no i'm not high.

it's single stage like jeff says.

You'll be high to believe that only the RED evo don't have clear coat.

They all have it, but the red one fades to pinkish color because of the pigment that makes up red paint is prone to fade quicker than any other paint.

I drive the 03 red evo.

my side mirrors are now really faded.

It's highly doubtful that mitsu did this for weight saving, it's more of the money saving.

Mercedes, select models have the nano-paint that repairs itself over time. Now that's money.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

but isnt graphite grey a mettalic color??
Old Jul 24, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by forbidden color
no i'm not high.

it's single stage like jeff says.

You'll be high to believe that only the RED evo don't have clear coat.

They all have it, but the red one fades to pinkish color because of the pigment that makes up red paint is prone to fade quicker than any other paint.

I drive the 03 red evo.

my side mirrors are now really faded.

It's highly doubtful that mitsu did this for weight saving, it's more of the money saving.

Mercedes, select models have the nano-paint that repairs itself over time. Now that's money.
No, I'd be high to believe that you speak english well. I agree that red paint fades but no one gives a fU<k, the guy asked if the car had clear coat...and it DOESN'T

Please go away
Old Jul 24, 2006, 04:37 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by monies41
but isnt graphite grey a mettalic color??
Yes, and it does have clear. I think the no-clear was just on the early non-metallic paints like the rally red and the weightless white.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

so then you guys mean to tell me all the 03-04 with no pearl in them, were not clear coated? sounds very odd to me. if this was so, mitsu would have alota people trying to sue them for faulty paint. all car companies come with a clear, its just a basic thing now a days.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

So verdict is the RS's for every year has no clearcoat or one-stage of clearcoat?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:39 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
So verdict is the RS's for every year has no clearcoat or one-stage of clearcoat?
Look here:

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I few months ago I looked thru the paint books at a PPG auto paint supplier which lists whether single stage or BC/CC as Original Equipment. The IXs are all cleared, even the non-metallic finishes like red. On the 2003-2004 only the metallics were cleared. I can't remember what they did in 2005. Single stage paint does not have "clear" mixed in it; it's just different colors mixed off the toner bank. You can mix clear and a single stage paint though if the chemistry is the same. I looked thru other makes as well and even BMW had some single stage on solid colors.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Ok boys and girls here is the True answer. There are 3 main types of paint when it comes to painting. Single Stage, which is color and clear all in one step, which would explain why you can rub compound on it and see color, most solid colors can be a single stage, black reds whites etc etc. Base Coat, Clear Coat, this is the most used practice which is you base(color) then your clear over it. And lastly Tri-coats, these are your pearl whites, some reds etc etc, this process includes spraying a base then another base on top of it (like as in your pearl coat) and last is the clear. Hope this answers your questions. And i wonder how come Evom doesnt have a paint rep or something here like the part vendors cause i am really new to evom, but in only a few short months i have seen so many myths and just uneducated things posted when it comes to painting. I am not flaming anyone cause we all gotta learn somewhere, and i am an ICAR cert painter. As always if any of you have paint related questions feel free to PM me and i will help you out in any way that i can.

Quick Reply: Red Evo's = no Clear Coat... Myth or fact????????