Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone else's evo IX seem a little sluggish?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive driven a certain 400whp evo a good good bit, its starting to feel slow to me and the onwer...... Time for stroker!@!!!111
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:21 AM
Account Disabled

If you live in a place where you have 91 octane, it makes a big difference. The heat is another factor, too. The heat and the low octane gas = owns your HP. I'm lucky to live in FL, I have the luxury of 93 octane gas. If you have Chevron, start buying gas from them. Scientific studies have proven their "techron" addative actually combusts better and keeps the engine clean.

I especially like this(it helps with F/I engines TREMENDOUSLY):
About half of the cars and trucks on the road today have engines that are equipped with a device called a knock sensor. A knock sensor is designed to detect knock, often before the driver does. Upon sensing knocking or pinging, the engine’s computer control system (engine control module or ECM) adjusts the engine’s operation (retards the spark timing) to avoid the knock. These adjustments can reduce power and acceleration under certain driving conditions, especially under heavy acceleration when you want power the most.

Since excessive combustion chamber deposits can promote knock, they can also suppress your engine’s full potential by contributing to more frequent knock-sensor operation. Chevron Unleaded gasolines with Techron are unbeatable at preventing harmful combustion chamber deposits, helping your engine maintain the maximum performance for which is was designed.

Techron Advantage

Last edited by ultraist; Jul 26, 2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:26 AM
Account Disabled

bump
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree 100% 1st and 2nd feel okay after that it's Honda Accord time. It's all relative though my wife thinks the car is fast. When you come from 125mph trapping cars of course a 103mph will feel slow.

I'm trying to change that as we speak.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:37 AM

My evo-9 MR feels the same way but I'm more inclined to upgrade ****ty driver then upgrading the car.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Have you ever owned a turbo car in a southern summer before? The combination of the high temps and the AC drag pretty much demolishes any low end tq that the car would otherwise have....they feel very weak until the turbo spools up. It happens on every car, just much more pronounced on small displacement, forced induction engines. When cooler temps come, you'll feel like you have LS1 low end after getting used to what you have now
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:05 PM

I agree with everything said so far. The heat makes a huge difference on a turbo car, and the evos feel so smooth (and are so quiet) stock that you get used to the power very quickly. Id recommened putting a few mods on to make it feel quicker.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

I agree that any car will feel "slow" once you're used to it, however much you mod it. But that's not what you're asking, methinks.

As I read your post, you're complaining that it bogs down on throttle tip-in, and then feels fast as the RPMs climb. That's characteristic of the car. Pretty much every review says the same thing. It's a tiny engine and the turbo's not doing anything until it spools up.

You can compensate by revving it up more and slipping the clutch a bit, but otherwise I don't know what to tell you. It is what it is. I'm not sure how many of the much-heralded mods out there will have much effect on this aspect of the engine's performance; the mods seems much more focused on top-end power rather than throttle tip-in.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Mine has felt slugish lately..now we have had a couple of cooler days its back to its old self...its just the heat.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine is feeling slow too, so I'm putting in a 280EX cam and turning up the boost
Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:22 AM

maybe it feels sluggish during the daytime.. my car runs so much faster at night when its cool... that may be one factor thats causing you to feel that your evo is sluggish.