Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My baby STOLEN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2006, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Professional car thieves have prety much figured out how to get around lo-jack since its become so popular. They would still be effective against amatuers tho.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 09:22 AM

I dont think anybody can go around lojack...coz lojack is a chip that they put on your car and they dont put it on one same spot...i cant even find my lo jack on my car,i got he lojack with early warning device and had no problem.Get Lo jack Man and you will save moeny on your insurance to i get 20 % off on my insurance just by having a lojack big savings bro
Old Aug 8, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shimla
viper 791vx on sale online for $189...search and you shall find it. go look for someone to install it, like a reputable shop and add extra batt and siren inside cabin.

Where can you get that one for $189?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hottunedcar101
I dont think anybody can go around lojack...coz lojack is a chip that they put on your car and they dont put it on one same spot...i cant even find my lo jack on my car,i got he lojack with early warning device and had no problem.Get Lo jack Man and you will save moeny on your insurance to i get 20 % off on my insurance just by having a lojack big savings bro
The problems with lojack are many...

1) (Most important in my mind,) It lojack does not prevent or deter your car from being stolen. Sure you have have a better chance of finding your car if it has lojack, but your car is still getting stolen and F-ed up.

2) In order for the lojack system to be useful, your local police need to be participating in their program actively. Unless you are in a major city, your local PD is probably not involved in the lojack program, and their cruisers do not have the lojack tracking hardware. And even if they are involved, they may only have 1 or 2 lojack equipped cruisers, and they usually have bigger things to worry about than looking for your stolen car anyway.

3) Dispite what lojacks marketing claims, there are really only 2 or 3 places where installers will put the lojack module on a car. Theives know the usual places to look for the lojack transponder.

4) A very sophisticated thief will have a lojack transponder locator so that they can locate and remove the module from any car within seconds.

5) An unsophisticated thief will simply steal the car and then park it somewhere to let it cool off. They wait to see if the police can track it down. If it sits for 48 hrs or so, and the cops have not found it yet, they know there is probably no tarcking equipment like lojack on the car. And they can pick the car up again and get to work on it.

6) A thief just looking for a few specifc parts from your car can normally steal it, remove the parts they want, and then dump the rest of the car before you even wake up the next morning and realize your car is gone. Lojack is useless in that scenario because the theives are done with your car long before you even had a chance to notify the police it was stolen and that they should look for it with their lojack equipped cruiser.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hotrod2448
The only issues with the power kill switch are depending on where it's located it could be a pain in the *** to get to every time you want "piece of mind" and if it is in line with the power from the battery it will reset your ECU and you'll have to reprogram your radio every time you use it.

I .
how about a switch off of the power wire to the fuel pump or the ignition?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

all you need to do is just get the power wire to the ECU or you can get the ACC wire to the ecu or even the cam wire. but i would not do that sence it is a single, but a fuel pump power would work too or power to the coil packs would work it just has to be ran back to a place in the car where someone would not look if they were in a hurry to take your car. if they tow the car off well then no wire switch is going to really help you and they must really want your car.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

I have a slightly defferent view on this.. I think a good alarm is worth every penny because it is a deterrant and will help give you a chance of getting to the car before it is stolen.
Personally if my car is stolen I don't want it back.. I have all my mods ect.. covered under insurance along with the car its self I would rather just get everthing replaced brand new than have the insurance company nickle and dime about whats broken and whats not...plus my friends car was stolen then recovered and it was never quite the same.
just my $.02
Old Aug 8, 2006, 03:49 PM

If they want it badly enough they will get, but a good alarm is a deterent but only a deterent. Get the GAP ins when you buy the car so it wont hurt you as badly when it is taken
Old Aug 8, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
who do you buy GAP insurance from, the bank the loan is through or your insurance company? and is it possible to get it after the car was purchased?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 08:24 PM

sucks but atleast you got your car back
Old Aug 8, 2006, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Hey thanx guys for all the Info.....
Old Aug 9, 2006, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hondafan
who do you buy GAP insurance from, the bank the loan is through or your insurance company? and is it possible to get it after the car was purchased?
i bought it at the dealership when i go the loan but it could have been through the bank and the dealership just told me that it would be a good idea.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 08:00 AM
Account Disabled

glad to hear you got the car back atleast!
Old Aug 9, 2006, 08:06 AM
Account Disabled

glad to hear you got the car back atleast!