Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test Drove EVO - My driving impression

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2003, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drove EVO - My driving impression

When the EVO's specs were first released a few months ago, I was bitterly dissapointed by the lack of hardware. My dreams of owning the ultimate giant-killing sedan came to a sudden end...until the day I drove it.

About 2 weeks ago I test drove an EVO at a local dealership. I was really surprised when the salesman encouraged me to floor it all the way to redline. Admittedly, the car already had about 50 miles on it, but I could not get myself to take advantage of the salesman's lack of respect for a brand new engine. Instead I convinced him to allow me to test the car's cornering, since a brand new suspension is far less likely to suffer than a brand new engine. I chose to upshift at around 5.5k, which I think was enough to give me a reasonable impression of the car's engine. Also, I did not try to seriously test the brakes, again, since the car was new.

We drove to a road of my choice, one which I know like the palm of my hand. A road with several diverse corners and very sparse traffic. Having driven several other performance cars on the same road, I was prepared to construct a meaningful comparison.

Here are my driving impressions of the EVO, categorically broken down on a scale of 1 to 10. To shed some perspective on the EVO's relative strengths and weaknesses, I have chosen to include my personal driving impressions of several other cars, some of which I have driven on the exact road where I tested the EVO. Since posting this driving impression on NASIOC, I have slightly revised the scoring and added a few more cars.

Engine (power, response, sound, etc.)
Evolution----: 7 (keeping in mind that I didn't fully test the engine)
Ferrari 355--:10
Boxster------: 7
Integra R----: 6
WRX----------: 5
RX-7 R1------: 7
BMW 540i---: 7
Cavalier 4cyl: 0
The EVO has less lag than a regular WRX, but it is still present below 2.5k. The engine pulls pretty strong once on-boost but seemed to tail-off between 5 and 6k. This is most likely because of the 91 octane the car was running on. The engine sound is pretty nice although not as nice sounding as the Integra Type-R or the WRX.

Handling/Steering (turn-in accuracy, throttle-steer adjustability, chassis and steering feedback, etc.)
Evolution----: 9
Ferrari 355--:10
Boxster------: 9
Integra R----: 8
WRX----------: 7
RX-7 R1------: 8
BMW 540i---: 6
Suburban----: 0
This is where the EVO is magical...yes it is really that bloody good! There is a LOT more to this car's handling than a steering with 2 turns lock-to-lock. Turn-in is ultra-crisp and precise. The steering provides a very detailed impression of the available grip and weighs up consistently and progressively as the g-forces increase. Then, at the point of understeer, the steering send all the right messages at the right time by lightning-up the load. Lift-off mid-corner or apply a little bit of trail braking and the understeer disappears...just like that. Apply a lot of trail braking aroung a 50-mph corner like I did, and the back end will come out quickly but predictably. Too much oversteer? No problem. Apply a moderate amount of gas and the car gets into a smooth 4-wheel drift. No need for ungodly amounts of opposite lock; a competent driver CAN make this car throttle steer. I only did one 4-wheel drift on a corner that had a lot of safe run-off room. After several corners at 8/10ths and 9/10ths, even this leniant dealer had enough as he gestured with his hand to slow me down. Why he chose not to use words, I have no idea. Maybe he was speechless about the EVO's handling. The only car I have driven that handles significantly better that this EVO is the Ferrari 355. In fact, The EVO's handling is good enough to just nudge the Porsche Boxster out of second place on the list of cars that I have driven. However, in terms of the overall Handling/Ride compromise, the Boxster is clearly better than the EVO.

Ride
Evolution----: 3
Ferrari 355--: 5
Integra R----: 4
WRX----------: 6
RX-7 R1------: 3
BMW 540i---: 10
RX-7 Mk1----: 0 (race prepped with coil-overs)
This is to be expected from a car that handles so well. In my opinion it is livable on a day to day basis AS LONG AS you DO take this car out to a road course/AutoX/twisty road at least 2 or three times a month. Otherwise, I can see a potential owner getting tired of the stiff ride while not benefiting from the car's handling potential.

Transmission (ratios, directness, ease of downshifting, etc.)
Evolution----: 8
Ferrari 355--: 7
Integra R----: 9
RX-7 R1------: 6
BMW 540i---: Auto
Jeep *****'s-: 0
The gear ratios are close enough and the powerband wide enough that I never felt like I was in the wrong gear coming out of corners (even ones with increasing radius). The shifting is very mechanical. Not as light as my Type-R but more decisive and solid. I would prefer a slightly shorter throw.

Driving environment (seats, pedals, ergonomics, visibility. etc.)
Evolution----: 9
Ferrari 355--: 6
Boxster------: 8
Integra R----: 7
WRX----------: 7
RX-7 R1------: 6
A great seat is one that you don't have to think about when you are cornering. The EVO is the only production car I have ever driven in which I did not once think about the seats while cornering. The pedals are almost perfect for heel&toe downshifts. I would probably move them a tad closer since my right foot does not like to point as far inward as most other people. The car is roomier that the WRX, especially in the rear. The visibility is very good in all direction.

Overall (irrespective of price)
Evolution----: 8
Ferrari 355--: 10
Integra R----: 6
RX-7 R1------: 7

Overall (price taken into account)
Evolution----: 10 (I have yet to drive another car with greater value)
Ferrari 355--: ??? (Why bother?)
Integra R----: 9
WRX----------: 9
RX-7 R1------: 8
BMW 540i---: 5

The overall rating reflects the fact that I weigh subjective handling/steering characteristics higher than all other criteria. I am scoring with the assumption that the car will be driven in a manner consistent with it's strengths and weaknesses. Thus I would fully expect the owner of a Ferrari to take the car to several track days a year, but not a lot of highway driving. The WRX (especially in Wagon form) is expected to be driven to Home Depot to pick up the lumber one day, and then driven on a wet, twisty mountain road the next day.

Numbers and specs really don't do the EVO much justice. The old BMW ad that said "The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" is fully applicable to this car. The EVO is, without a doubt one of the best performance cars I have EVER driven, and certainly the best 4-door performance car AND the best overall value. Driving this EVO for a mere 15 minutes made me feel alive and isn't that what life is all about? About the only thing holding me back from immediately buying the EVO is a test drive in the STi and the sale of my Integra Type-R. At this time, I have a deposit down on both the EVO and the STi, and I will be making my final decision over the next few weeks.

The USDM EVO is a perfect reminder for people to NOT judge a car by it's spec sheet.

Last edited by 97itr153; May 13, 2003 at 12:19 AM.
Old May 9, 2003, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

jesus.....
Old May 9, 2003, 01:35 AM
Evolving Member

wow, thanks for detail comparison list...

^_^
Old May 9, 2003, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Old May 9, 2003, 02:06 AM

omg....that is the new standard to which all future test drive writeups will be compared
Old May 9, 2003, 03:12 AM
Evolving Member

I hope that's a Boxster S you were driving cuz I've driven the plain old Boxster and most of those numbers should be 2 ranks down compared to the Evo at least. The engine a 7 !!!? That thing is gutless and gives no frills.
Old May 9, 2003, 06:37 AM

I dont know, I guess 0-60 in 6.3 seconds just does not strike me as gutless. I own a Boxster, a 2.7. I think it may be the most complete car offered for less than $65k, excpet for one problem. I live in the great white north, and so I will be moving to an AWD car, either an EVO or an STi. I am looking forward to driving and owning either of those cars, but I know as well that neither is as complete a sports car as the Boxster is. Both are quicker in a straight line, but I could care less about that, no Porsche has even been designed with that in mind, and that is not at all why I drive the car. I understand that is very important to some people and that is fine, I just happen to look for other things in cars when I buy them.

It is always fun to go to Lime Rock or Mont Tremblant and pass cars with MUCH higher horsepower. Spend some time in a Boxster in its favorite environment, a twisty canyon or your favorite racetrack, and you will truely understand what the car is all about.

I would say 97itr153's observations are dead-on for a 2.7. One of the amazing things that Porsche has always been able to occomplish is surperior roadholding/handling WITHOUT a harsh ride. It is VERY difficult to occomplish, and very few other makes have managed it.

No, having said all that, perhaps you drove a 2.5, one of the cars from the first three years, that car was pretty sluggish.

Michael
Old May 9, 2003, 08:19 AM

wow

Very nice read and comparo.
Old May 9, 2003, 08:22 AM

I drove the regular boxter (idk what year) around the moroso road coarse at a porsche club day and it was pretty amaizing the way they handle , i did feel a lil quicker around the track in my ITR but i was running A032R's and my ITR was beastly.
Old May 9, 2003, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

very nice comparo

4-wheel drifting with the salesman in the car? hmmm....
Old May 9, 2003, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Nice review. Coming from a 320 rwhp RX7 R1 it is nice to know that I will still have fun in my Evo grocery getter! I am amazed that a 4-door sedan could be in the same league as the fd in handling, makes me want my Evo today!!!! (Which just got pushed from the 9th to the 13th, damn you Mitsubishi!!)
Old May 9, 2003, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by trigeek37
Nice review. Coming from a 320 rwhp RX7 R1 it is nice to know that I will still have fun in my Evo grocery getter! I am amazed that a 4-door sedan could be in the same league as the fd in handling, makes me want my Evo today!!!! (Which just got pushed from the 9th to the 13th, damn you Mitsubishi!!)

Yes and no.. I have owned an RX-7.. It just had a few mods.. eiboch springs, downpipe & intake.. and better then stock tires. (stock tires kinda sucked)

And it WAS faster then the EVO.. Don't care what anyone says.. it was faster around a turn. But the EVO is VERY close being stock. probably the closest car i have ever driven that gave me the same feeling as my old FD..

Damn i miss that car..
Old May 9, 2003, 11:43 AM
J!m

Excellent write-up! I'm in the same boat. I'm shopping now for a car, and have narrowed it down to a select few: WRX STI, EVO 8, VW R32, and a MINI cooper S w/John Cooper Works kit.

I have driven the stock MINI cooper S, and a 2004 WRX, and I will say both are slugs. I had a chance to drive the EVO 8, but timing was bad- end of the month rush, no one available to babysit me in the car. I have not seen the R32 live yet- but it should be right up with the other guys.

My point of refrence is my 318ti which I installed an M3 3.2l into w/ lightweight flywheel and DINAN stage I software (no other mods). This is a sick car, granted, but I was expecting much more from the WRX. There is horrible lag (I'm not a fan of turbos to begin with), and it cannot pull from a stop in gear 2.

I hope the STI is better, and am looking forward to the EVO (and the lower price tag is nice...) For similar money, I can do a few mods to the MINI and get an honest 200 at the wheels (the works kit is 200 @ the crank).

Can anyone recommend a dealer either on long island or in northern/central CT?

Thanks in advance foor any help!
Old May 9, 2003, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

everything I hear about the Mini is good, and everyone I know that has driven them raves... if it was only not fwd!!! gah!

the R32 should be a pretty sweet car. That said, don't expect a GTi like car. I think it will be far more posh then the Evo/STi - that's not necessarily a bad thing, it all depends on what you want. If you are coming from an M3/318ti, it might feel a bit soft - but I am only going on what I have read, as the R32s are still months away.

this truely is the 3rd golden age of automobiles. So many choices, so many more coming. It's a great time to be a car nut!
Old May 9, 2003, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Leadfoot
I dont know, I guess 0-60 in 6.3 seconds just does not strike me as gutless. I own a Boxster, a 2.7. I think it may be the most complete car offered for less than $65k, excpet for one problem. I live in the great white north, and so I will be moving to an AWD car, either an EVO or an STi. I am looking forward to driving and owning either of those cars, but I know as well that neither is as complete a sports car as the Boxster is. Both are quicker in a straight line, but I could care less about that, no Porsche has even been designed with that in mind, and that is not at all why I drive the car. I understand that is very important to some people and that is fine, I just happen to look for other things in cars when I buy them.

It is always fun to go to Lime Rock or Mont Tremblant and pass cars with MUCH higher horsepower. Spend some time in a Boxster in its favorite environment, a twisty canyon or your favorite racetrack, and you will truely understand what the car is all about.

I would say 97itr153's observations are dead-on for a 2.7. One of the amazing things that Porsche has always been able to occomplish is surperior roadholding/handling WITHOUT a harsh ride. It is VERY difficult to occomplish, and very few other makes have managed it.

No, having said all that, perhaps you drove a 2.5, one of the cars from the first three years, that car was pretty sluggish.

Michael
I will put it as my friend says it about his Boxster. The car is about looks and vanity. That's it. It's not for performance. Both he and I came from owning Supras so to say it was gutless was pretty easy. You don't feel the power in that car. A manual might make it feel a tad bit zippy but nothing more. As for handling, you should drive an Evo. The handling in the Boxster is nice, the Evo is insane. If you're insinuating the Evo is a straight line performer you couldn't be further from the truth. This car was designed for twisties, hence it's rally heritage.

Don't get me wrong the Boxster is a nice car, but for comparison in the performance department it doesn't hold it's weight. Which is why 2 ranks lower is reasonable.

Quick Reply: Test Drove EVO - My driving impression