Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hydrolocked the motor, raced the **** out of it, drove it with a bad clutch caused by your mods, lied to mitsu about it to get it warrantied, and now your transmission is toast.

im gonna have to go with karma on this one bro, sorry.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

i still dont understand any of his story, how did the rain blow the motor (unless he drove it through a puddle and it hydrolocked), how did a slipping clutch ruin a tranny (unless he grenaded the clutch and it took out part of the tranny), and why would the service manager agree that the engine locking ruined the clutch, and why did it go through insurance instead of warranty,
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yah somehting is not adding up here. The stock intake won't hydrolock unless you are driving in water above the headlights......so I assume he had an aftermarket intake. In the case of an aftermarket cold air intake, the warranty will not cover the motor because it is not Mitsu's fault that he stuck an intake on it that has the inlet very low and then drives through a puddle.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
to clear it up for everyone. First when the rain flooded out most of el paso I got stuck on the wrong side of a lake in the mid of the road. The intake sucked up some water and before I could take it in and have it looked at it tossed a rod. Then for the tranny. When the clutch was slipping in my car it would grab then as the car went boost, came out of vacuum and actually begin boosting, it would slip. after the car would go almost full boost it would grab again. You can imagine what this can do to you car. Its like doing a 6000k launch at 5mph each time you take off. I tried to catch it a couple of times but it happens alot faster then you might think. I do admit I raced the car a few times after I broke in the second motor. The first motor blew with about 900 miles on it. The clutch began slipping at 1600 or so. And like I said or at least i think I said, I only drove the car once after the night the clutch blew. I got my ECU back from being flashed and wanted to make sure everything was in order.
The bad news of today. I talked to the service manager and he remembers the insurance saying they wouldnt cover the clutch the first time. However due to the clutch only having 1600 miles on it clearly went out prematurely so he is going to try and push it on them. he agreed with me that Even if i had been excessively racing the car it still wouldnt have gone out that fast.
The warranty doesnt cover acts of god, ie flood damage. It only covers manufacturers defects in regaurds to the rotating assembly and the clutch.
This thread was not meant for the critics. It was meant for people with actual horror stories. hence the name. general input and condolences are moe then welcome.
If your a hater or a critic take your cynical *** else where.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by EVOL EDO
i still dont understand any of his story, how did the rain blow the motor (unless he drove it through a puddle and it hydrolocked), how did a slipping clutch ruin a tranny (unless he grenaded the clutch and it took out part of the tranny), and why would the service manager agree that the engine locking ruined the clutch, and why did it go through insurance instead of warranty,

Dude, your sigs are absolutely hilarious!!!!
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
to clear it up for everyone. First when the rain flooded out most of el paso I got stuck on the wrong side of a lake in the mid of the road. The intake sucked up some water and before I could take it in and have it looked at it tossed a rod. Then for the tranny. When the clutch was slipping in my car it would grab then as the car went boost, came out of vacuum and actually begin boosting, it would slip. after the car would go almost full boost it would grab again. You can imagine what this can do to you car. Its like doing a 6000k launch at 5mph each time you take off. I tried to catch it a couple of times but it happens alot faster then you might think. I do admit I raced the car a few times after I broke in the second motor. The first motor blew with about 900 miles on it. The clutch began slipping at 1600 or so. And like I said or at least i think I said, I only drove the car once after the night the clutch blew. I got my ECU back from being flashed and wanted to make sure everything was in order.
The bad news of today. I talked to the service manager and he remembers the insurance saying they wouldnt cover the clutch the first time. However due to the clutch only having 1600 miles on it clearly went out prematurely so he is going to try and push it on them. he agreed with me that Even if i had been excessively racing the car it still wouldnt have gone out that fast.
The warranty doesnt cover acts of god, ie flood damage. It only covers manufacturers defects in regaurds to the rotating assembly and the clutch.
This thread was not meant for the critics. It was meant for people with actual horror stories. hence the name. general input and condolences are moe then welcome.
If your a hater or a critic take your cynical *** else where.
Did you break in your clutch properly when it was new? You might have just glazed it over right away which caused it to go bad. Luckily I don't really have any horror stories about my EVO. Just my brakes which squeek like no other.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Its because of the compound the pads are made of... every evo i have seen does it. wait you dont have a IX so its probably something else then. But Yes I do know how to propery brake in a car, clutch, motor, etc. I did everything by the book. after the second motor was installed I did race it one or twice just to see what she could do. The entire drive line was still original except for the motor so I know i gave it enough time for a break-in.
Oh and just to clear thing up. The transmission didnt shatter, Its just cracked. along the radiator side i assume by the looks of the fluid but they never told me.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Wait let me try this again....you had stock intake and you drove through a puddle which blew your motor??? How deep was it??? That must have been up to your hood at least.....And if that is the case you would think that stopping the car and turning around might have been a good thing to do instead of seeing how buoyant a new evo is.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Still confused, yes I know what hydrolock is...

I got stuck on the wrong side of a lake in the mid of the road. The intake sucked up some water and before I could take it in and have it looked at it tossed a rod.
So you willingly drive in water upto the headlights? Seriously, was it a river you drove though. Many of us have driven through lots of rain without the hood vent closed off - and no dead engines. If the water was that bad, you should not have driven through it, driver 101.

Then for the tranny. When the clutch was slipping in my car it would grab then as the car went boost, came out of vacuum and actually begin boosting, it would slip. after the car would go almost full boost it would grab again.
If the car was upto its headlights in water, then water got everywhere, including the clutch. Once soaked to that point I would doubt that it would dry 100%. Taking it out would have been a good idea to check it.

This thread was not meant for the critics. It was meant for people with actual horror stories. hence the name. general input and condolences are moe then welcome. If your a hater or a critic take your cynical *** else where.
You posted, you get to hear what everyone says. The horror to this story is driving an Evo in 4 feet of water. My condolences go to the car, not the driver. And last time I checked the 1st amendment still was in working order - I speak as I see fit.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

These cars should come with a common sense requirement before purchase.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Common Sense has nothing to do with it.
Okay right now make a choice... Your stuck on one side of a wall of water. There is nothing behind you but desert and on the other side the entire city of El Paso. Do you go through it with the five cars in front of you. OR do you sit there for like 15 days til the rain stops. HMMMM....
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

If i had any other choice yeah i wouldnt have gone through it. Its not like i was pulling out of my drive way and said hmm I think i will go for a drive across the rio grand.....
Old Oct 10, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly man I wouldn't have driven through it. I would have driven to the nearest town that did ot require driving through 4 feet of water and get a hotel. Not a chance in hell I would drive a 35K car through water. I'd rather park my car on the side of the road and wait for them to pump the water out.

Honestly what did you think was going to happen when you drove through it?? Could you have at least gone offroad to go around the water???

And if you REALLY REALLY needed to go through the water for whatever reason, did you stop to think about maybe turning the car off first and pushing it through??? At least you wouldnt have a blown motor. Either way I'm sure the interior was soaked.

But dude all of your reasoning really isn't going to make sense to me. I would have to be a multi millionaire before I even remotely considered driving through that much water. And I am really surprised your insurance covered that, seeing as though you did have a choice.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Common Sense has nothing to do with it.
Okay right now make a choice... Your stuck on one side of a wall of water. There is nothing behind you but desert and on the other side the entire city of El Paso. Do you go through it with the five cars in front of you. OR do you sit there for like 15 days til the rain stops. HMMMM....
Common sense has everything to do with it. Common sense would have told you - road closed ahead, find a different route.

Your telling us, there was only one road into the city? I doubt that. I would have backed tracked until another road came up.

Ever see those stupid videos on TV of people whos car got washed down in a flash flood, and they now are close to death because they drove through it and got swept away.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

I guess common sense ain't so common these days....especially on EvoM....just a side question...how old are you??? I am really certain anyone with any smidgen of mechanical knowledge would not have driven through it. I dont care if five people drove through it before you, they were probably driving POS vans and SUVs......

Couldn't you have called emergency flat bed to come and tow the car out????

And even if you absolutely positively needed to drive though it......you didn't think to yourself that not driving it afterward might be a good idea?

Most people that drive through a puddle or water at least know to take the spark plugs out immediately after and crank it manually a couple of times to get the water out. Then they let it air dry, but you just drove it around??? I'm sorry man but I have zero sympathy for your situation. There are so many things you could have done besides what you did.

If I was the tech at the dealer and you told me all of this I seriously would say...."Are you fuc*king serious???"

Quick Reply: Evolution Horror Stories