Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Problem Reading Evo IX ECU

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I removed everything and made sure to really remove everything by hand. I then re-installed ECUFlash 1.29a and was able to read my ROM without issue.

I'll shoot you a PM itrsport and maybe we'll meet up a night this week and give it a shot again with your battery charger. We'll obviously try it again the way we have so we don't mess up the experiment
Old Oct 31, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

MalibuJack...thank you for your suggestions and troubleshooting help.

The battery charger on the car is what fixed it. The odd part is that it was sooooo sensitive with reading the ECU.

With the battery charger on the car it began to read the ECU and got to about 30% and failed. We then tried again but shut off the turbo timer and radar detector and it worked, both reading and writing to the ECU.

Guess this could be verified as a fix to anyone with a IX and a slim battery having trouble with ECUFlash.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 07:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I figure its probably whatever accessories you have running that draw excess current.. the Mini Battery is just a pain, Mine is getting to the point if the car sits for a week, it won't start the car. I keep a battery Tender on it when the car isnt being used... I definitely think I need to replace mine.

I'm glad you got it working..
Old Oct 31, 2006, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so you were able to read the ROM, but could you reflash it??

I've had ECUFlash 'stop' on me a few times while trying to reflash my VIII. I have a mini battery but never thought that was the problem because after a couple of additional attemps it worked again.

I still can't flash an EVO IX for some reason. As I said above, reading the ROM is not an issue, I can't reflash.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
so you were able to read the ROM, but could you reflash it??

I've had ECUFlash 'stop' on me a few times while trying to reflash my VIII. I have a mini battery but never thought that was the problem because after a couple of additional attemps it worked again.

I still can't flash an EVO IX for some reason. As I said above, reading the ROM is not an issue, I can't reflash.

We were able to read and flash with the battery charger on. Even with the battery charger though...we still had to shut off all accessories like radar detector and turbo timer.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

thats weird, the two stock IX's I tried to flash had no additional items hooked up, they were 100% bone stock.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 08:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
These things happen.. Things like leaving the Fan on, or interior lights, or anything that can drop the voltage slightly could be the source of a problem, not to mention anything else parasitic to the battery causing it to drop..

Keep in mind that the IX ECU is a new design, so the issue is probably unique to the IX.. I recall early on some tuners were having trouble "nuking" the ECU's with bad flashes due to high failure/error rate of the transfer, this is likely the same reason... Only a bad flash can be recovered on most ecu's now with ECUFlash (and ECU Unlocker if the flash was bad enough to kill the stock init code)
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

I will try that next time as I had the same thing going on.