Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Seibon Vortex Generator

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seibon Vortex Generator

Just wondering if anyone has any advise on these... ie. fitment issues or anything else...

thanks in advance
Old Nov 2, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one that I saw was lifting toward the side.....for 300 bucks ud think it fit perfect
Old Nov 2, 2006, 02:38 PM
Account Disabled

yeah there not that great to be honest mine fits good but not great
Old Nov 2, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have one. I understand CF/fiberglass products have imperfections and aren't going to be perfect, but I think this one is unnacceptable. I should have just sent it back, but I was so excited about how it looked (uninstalled) and antsy after how long it took me to get it, that I was determined to make it work. The CF shortage was at its peak at the time and lancershop was always out of stock of both this one and the chargespeed one.

Anyway, after an hour or two with a drill and a dremel and a roll of double side sticky tape that I had to buy, I finally got the damn thing on, but it still lifts on one side, and I WILL replace it one day, most likely with an OEM Mitsu. I am afraid to risk buying another CF one from even another brand.

I give it a 4 out of 10.

Last edited by GPTourer; Nov 2, 2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 03:03 PM
Admin Alumni

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I have one. I understand CF/fiberglass products have imperfections and aren't going to be perfect, but I think this one is unnaccptable. I should have just sent it back, but I was so excited about how it looked and antsy after how long it took me to get it, that I was determined to make it work. The CF shortage was at its peak at the time and lancershop was always out of stock of both this one and the chargespeed one.

Anyway, after an hour or two with a drill and a dremel and a roll of double side sticky tape that I had to buy, I finally got the damn thing on, but it still lifts on one side, and I WILL replace it one day, most likely with an OEM Mitsu. I am afraid to risk buying another CF one from even another brand.

I give it a 4 out of 10.
Any way you could get pics of that on here. I'm curious.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

pretty disappointed with the fitment, there's gaps on all 4sides. I also noticed, because of the gaps, driving over 100mph (not that I speed or anything ) I would hear a loud vibration-type sound on the roof of the car, presumably because of the air pockets being hit...
Old Nov 2, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

that sucks, how much do the oem ones go for?
Old Nov 2, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Ive heard bad things, as well.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by SASD209
Any way you could get pics of that on here. I'm curious.
+1...pics would be nice
Old Nov 3, 2006, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

fits perfect!
if you get it for a good deal, go for it...
my brother had his installed within minutes..

really easy.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Mine fits like crap. I bought it from CVR Motorsports and they are dragging their feet giving me some BS story about how Seibon has to give them the OK to make a refund.

Seibon products are crap. I've seen nearly a dozen cars with their hoods and all but one were cracked/yellow. I have no clue as to why I bought this piece of junk. The weave is jacked up, the entire piece is too short to fit over both rain gutters, and the clearcoat is flawed.

Here's a pick of the GREAT fitment...

I have since bought an ABS one from Speed Element and it fits perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Seibon Vortex Generator-vg-2.jpg  
Old Nov 3, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

you guys dont understand....

FIT it on there first and see how it lays on your vehicle.

Same thing goes for the OEM VG, alot of people complained about how it lifts up on each edge. I test fitted mine first and noticed the same thing.

This is what should be done to resolve that issue and make the whole VG lay flat on your car.

1. grab a hot soldering iron and let it get to its hottest temperature
2. slide the soldering gun on all edges beneach the VG to round the inner edges, then it will lay perfectly on your body!

2 easy steps.

The deal is that the leading and trailing edges are squared because of the shape of the MR and RS alluminum roof, the IX model (gsr?) are rounded and you need to form the rounded shape so the vortex gen doesnt flare up on the edges!
Old Nov 3, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crasher
you guys dont understand....

The deal is that the leading and trailing edges are squared because of the shape of the MR and RS alluminum roof, the IX model (gsr?) are rounded and you need to form the rounded shape so the vortex gen doesnt flare up on the edges!
Good advice. Maybe the manufacturers should have told us that. That's what mine looks like.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for all the info guys
Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Location: I'm Canadian living and working in Dubai/Kuwait/Bahrain
Couldn't wait to see it on so i got my g/f to place it on the roof and take some snapshots and send via email... The Chargepeed vortex generator seems to fit snug.. However, whats the best way to secure it? By double side adhesive 3M sticky tape or any other suggestions?...

(I work in the middle of Kuwait desert on an oil rig so getting home to try myself aint an option )
Attached Thumbnails Seibon Vortex Generator-evo1.jpg   Seibon Vortex Generator-evo2.jpg   Seibon Vortex Generator-evo6.jpg   Seibon Vortex Generator-rig-128.jpg