Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

installed my ams copy intercooler and ebay pipes today

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 08:14 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riceball777
then you are simply brainwashed by all the big companies that are simply riping you off and making a fortune from unintelegent buyers spending rediculess amounts of money or the simplest of products.
At least spell unintelligent correctly

How heavy is this core? How well does it flow? Just because it looks like the AMS IC means nothing. In this world you get what you pay for.

I am sure you can go to a dyno and claim it makes the same power -- there really is no power in ICs. It is all about heat soak and cooling efficiency. Get it hot and see how it does and then report back.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

I have installed the AMS intercooler before (a beautiful piece btw) and Ive installed ebay garbage. I have tuned cars with genuine Garrett core based (AMS)intercoolers and cars running the ebay china cores that are street sweeper cores over seas. I have personally witnessed IAT values as recorded in engine mgmt systems and I can tell you the genuine Garrett bar/plate cores perform MUCH more efficiently over the china crap.

I just put these cars together, I dont endorse or sell any of these products on here. So I have nothing to gain by posting any of this. What I have said is factual real world experience, its not up for debate lol.

It always interests me that the guys who spend $80 on ebay IC piping will openly admit that the stuff is "iffy" and doesnt fit too hot. Then theyll turn right around and say things like it doesnt take any design or hard work into making/fabricating stuff like this. Of course it does, why does the more expensive stuff ALWAYS fit better and actually perform. Yes there are cars out there making decent power on the ebay manifolds and components, how long will those components last or how much more power would they make on appropriately made components? A good amount I guarantee it, I know because Ive tuned real world cars that have gone from knock off stuff to professionally manufactured stuff and results were delivered.

I understand if youre on a budget you gotta do what you gotta do and thats fine, Ive been there before. However you can never deny the saying that you do get what you pay for and in this case it definitely applies.

regards
-bill
Old Feb 22, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see a problem in buying this if you want it, but saying that you're getting it to support a big turbo is just comical. It won't do any better than the stock FMIC at "supporting" those big turbos. Yeah, cars run XXX whp or XX.XX times at the 1/4-mile. It's not like a sub-par part keeps the car from going fast. It just keeps it from going as fast as it should or could with a proper piece...
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Take some shots in the inside when you get it, im curious to see what it looks like.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smarsenal
So you can take the ebay version and I'll take the Buschur/AMS at a little higher cost!! It's all personal preference. I say we support the real people who make the Evo better and faster!!
Damn dude high 5! We're totally on the same page.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me, getting the cheapest parts you can find is not what this hobby is all about. The relationships you build with shops, tuners, and friends is every bit as important, maybe moreso, than getting the lowest price for a part.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You should have atleast got the 17 Row FMIC kit, better quality and cheaper, here look

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EVO8-...QQcmdZViewItem

The specs look real honest too. Rated until 500WHP and will lose .5 psi at 1 bar which seems about right. Buschurs FMIC states less then 1 psi drop at OEM boost levels while I believe the stock unit drops about 2 PSI. SO that alone will add whp. The thing looks like it cools nicely and the internal fin design looks to cool nicely as well. It IS NOT the best but does seem to work well enough to handle a 50 Trim or a 30R.

What is the Deal with the OBX FMIC?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by riceball777
there is no hardwork or reasearch and development into making exhaust piping and and intercoler piping.
then I guess you don't hang aroun in the engine forum much where there are countless comparsion dyno runs between different exhausts and other parts

there is a lot of research in the parts that vendors actually CREATE...I don't mean these guys sell a perrin so it must be good...I mean Buschur designs their own exhaust and it gets tested against others

Al from dynoflash just tested the buschur against the hks...just know what you are talking about before you start telling people that they are stupid and brainwashed
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dam this argument will never end. No matter whos intercooler it is none of the cores are manufactured in America anyways so dam let this argument die. The only intercooler core made in America is Spearco, come to think of it I dont even think theirs is made in america who knows, I know garrett cores arent, which is what most people use. Makes me wanna buy a vendor intercooler and ebay copy just to settle this old argument.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:37 PM

Looks nice. You should get some numbers out before installtion and after installation and post it for us. Each row looks a lot thicker compared to the stock ic...
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
The relationships you buy with shops, tuners,friends
Fix0r3d

J/K
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Making a pipe is easy. But I am willing to bet the core in the Ebay intercooler is crap.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

here we go again.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=137651
ams parts are expensive. i have over $10,000 in my second evo alone. but please support your local usdm shops. it only helps our community and the local and u.s. economy. the income tax they pay for thier employees alone will make a difference. these guys are not millionares from the parts they are selling. with material and labor they probaly make less then a $100 on a exhaust. to me it seems evo's are a dime a dozen now and people will put any crap on their car to save a buck. i remember when there was not intercooler upgrades, turbo's, flashes, or exhausts for the evo. now there is and these ebay ****ers will stand on the shoulders of giants and make a quick buck. when you have a problem with that part who are you going to call? if i was buschar, ams, etc and you came into my shop for tune i would say **** you call ebay for a tune. but they can't because they need to make money to stay in business. like it or not that is how i feel. thanks to the shops that support the evo community and help it grow.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Believe me if I had $10,000 of expendable assets to dump in my Evo the 1st thing I'd buy is an AMS BB 50 Trim. A lot of us simply cannot afford $1000 for an exhaust or $700 for a FMIC.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

i sound like a dick but i own a small business and i know how it is to get screwed by someone who can do it cheaper. good luck to everyone that own's an evo. i'm a junkie and i have a certain point of view on things. enjoy your car and have fun with it. make it your pride and joy. as long as it's fast it's good in my book regardless of part's. just don't get an intake or a bov as your first mod. thanks and happy modding.

Quick Reply: installed my ams copy intercooler and ebay pipes today