Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pepboys says that I have a suspension problem...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2007, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pepboys says that I have a suspension problem...

OK so here's the story. First off just to clarify I absolutely hate pepboy's but I brought my car there because I needed my tires rotated. I tried to do it myself but for some reason the lug nuts would not come off by hand so I couldn't do it myself. I just put took my winter wheels off and put my summer wheels on which are evo 9 rims with stock advans. I put these on last week but I don't think I torqued the lug nut enough because the I had a slight steering wheel wobble. I brought it pep boys and they did the rotation for $10 and they tightened the lug nuts better than I could. When i'm getting ready to pay the guy told me that my rear tires are wearing oddly. He said the the inner parts of the tire are raised and have more tread than the outer. My tires aren't under-inflated and he said that it's very odd for a cae with 20k on it. I just had my car aligned maybe 2 months ago and he said that it's not an alignment issue but maybe my struts or rear balljoints. I aksed him what side and he said that both of them are wearing evenly. Does this sound like BS to you guys??? I just put these wheels and tires on last week, they have only been on the car for a week. i know for a fact that I mounted the tires wrong when I did it myself last week because my tire pressures were cris-crossed. I wouldn't make any sense thatr both tires would show even wear in just 1 week with less than 200 miles of driving. One of the tires in the rear was actually in the rear before while the other was actually in the front. Any ideas???
Old Mar 16, 2007, 09:52 PM

its BS. have you had the car aligned with the new wheels and tires on?
if not, i suggest getting your alignment checked
Old Mar 16, 2007, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, start with the most simple thing first. Check the tread yourself and see if it's wearing evenly, that will tell you if the guy was feeding you BS. It is very strange that the tires would wear on the outsides more than the insides. I believe that would mean you somehow have positive camber.

A bad strut generally causes uneven wear across the whole tread width, not just the outside. I suppose a bad ball joint is possible, but after only 20k miles? Not sure on that one

Again, check the tread yourself and go from there. Good Luck!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

I did check the tread and I did not notice anything unsual. I did just put the rims and tires on but I have driving on this rims and tires for a total a 1000 miles and that's it. I bought the rims and tires off of someone and they only had 500 miles on them. They were bascially new. I'm pretty new when it comes to tires and how to check for wear but from what I see they look fine. I inspected them and ran my hand across them and nothing. I did hit a curb pretty hard about three months ago driving in the snow. My drivers side rear wheel smacked a curb sideways and went over it. It bent on of my winter rims pretty good but it was still drivable. I had the suspension checked out at that time and I even got an alignment done and all was fine. I also got another alignment 2 months later because I was allowed one more for free in 90 days. I had two different shops do the alignments and while it needed little adjustment because of normal driving, everything was fine.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

actually Evos Advan tires are diggin on corner tires when u drive hard on Curves or Turns
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:55 PM

Don't Evo's come from Japan with a "toe-out" suspension setting to aid in cornering? This, combined with the fact that Advans have a very poor tread-wear-rating should be the reason for your "abnormal" tire wear...2 pennies.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

dont believe anything they say, also i wouldnt let them touch my car for ****.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STAY AWAY FROM PEPBOYS!

they messed my truck up, its alot of trainees that are just learning and most dont have a clue... they didnt assembly my brakes right and messed up my whole brake assembly (rotors, brakes, rear parking brakes etc.)

only go to pep boys if you want to change your windshield wipers
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by talentsearch301
STAY AWAY FROM PEPBOYS!

they messed my truck up, its alot of trainees that are just learning and most dont have a clue... they didnt assembly my brakes right and messed up my whole brake assembly (rotors, brakes, rear parking brakes etc.)

I wouldnt even go there for that. They might forget to full clip the wiper onto the arm, which would cause it to come off and have the arm gouge your windshield. Sounds stupid, but more stupid things have happened.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by talentsearch301
STAY AWAY FROM PEPBOYS!

+1
Old Mar 17, 2007, 03:31 PM

ya sounds like bs to me , I would not let them touch my car either .. In your case ya tire rotation if u were in a jam ok , but I would not take thier word on something like that ..
Old Mar 17, 2007, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by dpetro64
Don't Evo's come from Japan with a "toe-out" suspension setting to aid in cornering? This, combined with the fact that Advans have a very poor tread-wear-rating should be the reason for your "abnormal" tire wear...2 pennies.
If a car came from the factory this way somebody screwed up. The correct setting is zero toe.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
OK so here's the story. First off just to clarify I absolutely hate pepboy's but I brought my car there because I needed my tires rotated. I tried to do it myself but for some reason the lug nuts would not come off by hand so I couldn't do it myself. I just put took my winter wheels off and put my summer wheels on which are evo 9 rims with stock advans. I put these on last week but I don't think I torqued the lug nut enough because the I had a slight steering wheel wobble. I brought it pep boys and they did the rotation for $10 and they tightened the lug nuts better than I could. When i'm getting ready to pay the guy told me that my rear tires are wearing oddly. He said the the inner parts of the tire are raised and have more tread than the outer. My tires aren't under-inflated and he said that it's very odd for a cae with 20k on it. I just had my car aligned maybe 2 months ago and he said that it's not an alignment issue but maybe my struts or rear balljoints. I aksed him what side and he said that both of them are wearing evenly. Does this sound like BS to you guys??? I just put these wheels and tires on last week, they have only been on the car for a week. i know for a fact that I mounted the tires wrong when I did it myself last week because my tire pressures were cris-crossed. I wouldn't make any sense thatr both tires would show even wear in just 1 week with less than 200 miles of driving. One of the tires in the rear was actually in the rear before while the other was actually in the front. Any ideas???
I think you need a second opinion.
You should go to the stealer and let them check your alignment.

The ONLY thing I go to Pep Boys for is oil and filters.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

I would def speak to someone other then the guy at pepboys before getting too worried about this....
Old Mar 18, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

my advans were starting to cup on the inside 500 miles into my new 9. i talked to the dealer and a mitsu tech I know and they said that is not unusual and considered normal

Quick Reply: Pepboys says that I have a suspension problem...