Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The Freak Evo from SAUDI ARABIA (caution LS1 Inside )

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, good work getting that bad boy to fit in there!!

Kinda pointless though, you'll never run as fast as a well built 4G63 in a straight line or especially on a windy track!!! (which is the whole point of owning an evo....)

So why would you want to do this? If anything, throw a 2JZ-GTE in from a Supra... Make the power with less weight!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
A vette/camaro doesn't look or handle like an RX-7, thats why they do it.

Scorke
LOL are you kidding me.Do you know anything about c-5 corvettes and circuit?The camaro ok...but A corvette will out-handle an rx-7 any day of the week .

As far as the swap goes.......The only thing I dont understand is: Its not really an ideal hybrid.Evos are heavier than c-5 corvettes.Why not just beef up the 4g63?Great potential without the insanity.This reminds me of that s2k with the supra swap.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:32 AM

Ok, so the Corvette out handles the RX-7 at the track. I'm sure it will if the Rx-7 is driven by a 2 year old baby or maybe if it has bicycle wheels on it. Corvette is a Cavalier in a fiberglass Corvette body.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mmelmann
Agreed. Finally...someone that know's the benefits of the LS1's power curve. I wish that my evo and suby had the torque curve of a LS1. When I drive vette's, I really appreciate the way that you can have almost instantaneous power at low rpms... these are things that road course drivers appreciate... which is why most road racers prefer NA motors over turbo engines.
The thing I love the most about this post is that the LS1 has never been known for its low-end (relative to other domestics V8s, of course)

Originally Posted by WongFu
Im sorry but i dont like it. The point about the evo is the 2.0l engine with the proformance of a v8 or better. Its so great when i get muscle cars to mess with me and then WHAMO my care with as much dispacement as a bottle of Coke just walks away and when i let them catch up they say they didnt really try! thats what its all about.
You must be talking about actual 30+ year-old muscle cars. The 4g is an awesome, reliable, and extremely mod-friendly engine but doesn't match up very favorably with a performance domestic V8 stock-for-stock. That's simply the nature of displacement. I love my Evo, but let's be reasonable now - it has a big advantage from a dig due to AWD - from a roll, it's nothing incredibly fast. It runs the same 1/4-mile times as an LS1 F-body or previous-generation Mach 1, and again, that's due in no small part to a huge advantage from AWD. Of course, the Evo will out-handle and out-brake either of those cars by miles, but that's not part of this discussion.

Originally Posted by Asta4125
In no way would a 500 hp LS1 powered evo, kill a 500 hp 4g63 evo. There is a little bit of something called weight. And a ls1 isnt exactally light if you know what i mean. Sorry man. Even if you had a 500 hp camero vs a 500 hp evo. The evo would have the camero by a lot. Power to weight ratio is all where its at.
There is a little something called area under the curve as well, genius. Jesus Christ.

And it's CamAro.

Originally Posted by _ceteuro
Ok, so the Corvette out handles the RX-7 at the track. I'm sure it will if the Rx-7 is driven by a 2 year old baby or maybe if it has bicycle wheels on it. Corvette is a Cavalier in a fiberglass Corvette body.
And you're about 100 times more clueless than WongFu up there Your statement is as accurate as saying the Evo is just a base Lancer with racing seats and a ridiculous wing. Educate yourself before you open your e-mouth again.

Last edited by 72Tornado; Jun 18, 2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

I'm an open enough person to admit that although it defeats the purpose of buying an Evo, it is impressive that they fit it in that engine bay, and with that kind of displacement and torque and being RWD, it would make for a unique drift car Yeah I agree its not what the Evo was designed to for, and even if they could make it AWD with the LS1 it wouldnt handle as well with the extra weight, but it would be interesting to see it drift fo sho!!!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

The 4g is an awesome, reliable, and extremely mod-friendly engine but doesn't match up very favorably with a performance domestic V8 stock-for-stock
Dude, your off the subject. Of course a LS1 has more Horsepower than a 4G63. But that is not the point... we are talking about an LS1 IN an Evo.

And it doesnt make sense at all... you can get the same horsepower out of the 4G without the added weight, loss in cornering, etc. In fact, i would like to see an LS1 Evo beat a 4G Evo on a road course or even on a straight-away.

The LS1 definitely has its place.... just not in an Evo.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Hell why not throw in an RB26 in there they are already AWD right?
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JJsEvo8
Dude, your off the subject. Of course a LS1 has more Horsepower than a 4G63. But that is not the point... we are talking about an LS1 IN an Evo.

And it doesnt make sense at all... you can get the same horsepower out of the 4G without the added weight, loss in cornering, etc. In fact, i would like to see an LS1 Evo beat a 4G Evo on a road course or even on a straight-away.

The LS1 definitely has its place.... just not in an Evo.
You clearly missed the context of my discussion. I was talking about a 500hp LS1 Evo vs. a 500hp 4G Evo. Simple as that.

You're delusional if you truly believe a 350hp V8 would not be able to take out a 286hp I4 in the exact same car, on a road course or at the strip. The LSx motors are surprisingly light - it's not like they weight 600lbs more than the 4G, for God's sake. An LS1 F-bod will already easily run as fast or faster than Evo from a stop - from a roll it just gets ugly. If you put that same motor in a lighter car...well, it's no mental feat to see where this is going.

Don't forget you'll get improved petrol mileage with the LS1 as well

It's bad enough that people hold the entirely false "American cars can't handle" stereotype. It's worse still that the apparently prevailing view is that an American engine in any car will instantly render that car useless on a road course as well

Oh, and would someone mind educating me on exactly how much the 4g weighs?

Last edited by 72Tornado; Jun 18, 2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ImJoey
LOL are you kidding me.Do you know anything about c-5 corvettes and circuit?The camaro ok...but A corvette will out-handle an rx-7 any day of the week .
This is very debatable. The RX-7 chassis in my opinion is FAR FAR superior than the primitive leaf spring clad C5 chassis. The RX-7 chassis is also much lighter and has better weight distribution and also has superior suspension geometry. Overall the Rx-7 chassis is much better designed.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
the primitive leaf spring clad C5

Primitive my ****. Funny how a C6Z with such stone-age suspension components manages to handily beat both a 997TT and F430 around a road course.

Now I'm just waiting for someone to call OHV engines outdated...
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 72Tornado
Primitive my ****. Funny how a C6Z with such stone-age suspension components manages to handily beat both a 997TT and F430 around a road course.

OHV is definitely outdated and very lame If you knew anything about chassis or suspension design, you would see exactly how ridiculously bad the C5 & C6 suspension really is. Don't get me wrong, the Vette can still handle, but it does so through a different approach. The Corvette's saving grace is it's wide tires, relatively low weight, very low center of gravity, and *** kicking power curve. Thats why its a track killer.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Jun 18, 2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
OHV is definitely outdated and very lame If you knew anything about chassis or suspension design, you would see exactly how ridiculously bad the C5 & C6 suspension really is. Don't get me wrong, the Vette can still handle, but it does so through a different approach. The Corvette's saving grace is it's wide tires, relatively low weight, very low center of gravity, and *** kicking power curve. Thats why its a track killer.
Yep, OHV is indeed outdated - except it's a newer design than OHC Nice try though. I mean, I know I absolutely despise engines that make excellent power, are very efficient, reliable, inexpensive to build/buy/maintain/mod, simple, and compact. Man, you're right. OHV engines have nothing going for them.

If you knew anything about engine design, you would see why your viewpoint is completely wrong.

I must say, this sort of elitism is laughable on an Evo board. On exotic/supercar boards, it's entirely expected. Still, I'd love to hear you spout some more blatantly biased rubbish about how what are universally accepted as excellent-handling cars have "ridiculously bad" suspension.

Last edited by 72Tornado; Jun 18, 2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

not a fan, but a big thumbs up for the hard work that went into it!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 72Tornado

Corvetteforum.com , I think you clicked on the wrong link

look in my avatar,never driven the c6z but evo handles better than the c5 I would know

Nothing wrong with thinkin out the box, nice monster

Last edited by CAD EVO; Jun 18, 2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ImJoey

As far as the swap goes.......The only thing I dont understand is: Its not really an ideal hybrid.Evos are heavier than c-5 corvettes.Why not just beef up the 4g63?Great potential without the insanity.This reminds me of that s2k with the supra swap.

The C5-R is not representitive of how a stock C5 handles, neither are all the grand-am cars C5's you see racing out there. The difference between a Vette Race car and a street C5 is HUGE and while a RX-7 race car and a stock RX7 are much more similar.

Your reccomendation to beef up the 4g63 because of the evos weight/ the engines potential is retarted. An LS has endless potential compaired to the 4G63 in terms of peak, and overall power and tq.

Scorke

Quick Reply: The Freak Evo from SAUDI ARABIA (caution LS1 Inside )