Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

driving and suddenly fire under my hood!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving and suddenly fire under my hood!

Hey guys, so yesterday when I was driving on the highway, all of a sudden my car completely died. Everything electrical wise died, car didn't want to crank. So i pop my hood and my oil return line was on fire. My buddy quickly blows it out and all of a sudden my battery begins to make bubbling noises. So we disconnect the battery and it stops. So ten mins. later, we give it a try and connect the battery and what do you know, it works. We turn the car over and it runs fine, and I drive it home fine. So now, can anyone tell me what caused my car to completely die and cause my oil return line to catch on fire? My buddy told me it could've been a SHORT and a little spark got on my oil return line and it caught on fire. I do have a oil catch can right by my battery, so that could've touched my positive accidentaly since my catch can is mounted on the battery. Do you guys think that was it, or was it something else? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sekula
Hey guys, so yesterday when I was driving on the highway, all of a sudden my car completely died. Everything electrical wise died, car didn't want to crank. So i pop my hood and my oil return line was on fire. My buddy quickly blows it out and all of a sudden my battery begins to make bubbling noises. So we disconnect the battery and it stops. So ten mins. later, we give it a try and connect the battery and what do you know, it works. We turn the car over and it runs fine, and I drive it home fine. So now, can anyone tell me what caused my car to completely die and cause my oil return line to catch on fire? My buddy told me it could've been a SHORT and a little spark got on my oil return line and it caught on fire. I do have a oil catch can right by my battery, so that could've touched my positive accidentaly since my catch can is mounted on the battery. Do you guys think that was it, or was it something else? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
OK... whoh whoh whoh whoh.. whoh... whoh... whoh...

Your car was on fire, you put it out, then started it up and drove away?!

I would think if your oil return line caught on fire that it would be damaged and needs to be replaced.

Is there an oil leak anywhere?

My guess would be that you had an oil leak that caught fire, this then melted a harness somewhere that caused a short for your battery.

BUT, if this happened to my car the last thing I would do is get in a drive. I'd try and find the leak, fix it, then look at my electrical harness and check for shorts.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 06:39 PM

*looks into a small fire extinguisher for the trunk.....

That took ***** to drive it again.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

I looked at all the surrounding electrical harnesses and everything seemed fine, I even drove the car a little today and everything was fine. Since the oil return line is metal, nothing really happened to it and it's fine. the only problem now is that i don't know what caused it???? and also, whenever today i would try to punch it, it would feel like i would hit boost cut or fuel cut or something after a couple of seconds of floooring it. help?
Old Jun 11, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

so you guys think it was probably a short somewhere by my battery since i have my catch can attached to my battery? and the spark could've caused the oil line to catch on fire....i plan to relocate my oil catch can lol
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tfray
*looks into a small fire extinguisher for the trunk.....

That took ***** to drive it again.
or stupidity
Old Jun 12, 2007, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost the same happened to me but with no fire....just lots of gaging smoke....its when i mounted my FPEvoGreen turbo and i used the OEM outlet pipe which happen to touch my starter feed (12volt live, all the time) and shorted the whole electrical charging harness. 1 week and $200 later my car was back on the road.

Good luck!
Old Jun 12, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
hahaha you drove it like right after you put the fire out and hooked the batt up?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sekula
Yikes, driving off again after an engine fire
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

The Outlet pipes seems like a likley cause, have you recently changed your turbo or your outlet pipe at all? Check the harness running to the started motor.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Dude, why in God's name did you 1) start it back up before finding the cause of the problem and 2) drive it the next day AND boost the hell out of it?

If you can't find the problem, that doesn't mean it's not there, and it sure as hell doesn't mean it's fine to drive. I saw a car matter of fact on Sunday that the front end completely caught fire due to a TINY fire under it.

You need to take it in to get checked out if you can't find the issue.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

What can you say, boost is addicting, LOL.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
^ Not addictive enough to risk destroying your car from ignorance.

... well, maybe sometimes.

Tony (is not serious, a fire is serious though)
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

he is lucky something serious didnt happen or he wouldnt have that addiction to worry about anymore
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

i know it was pretty stupid but whatever, i got lucky and my car drives fine now, i looked everywhere and everything seemed fine...i did get a bushur deluxe intercooler, where it makes you replace the turbo outlet pipe...i'll check into that..but the only problem now is that whenevery i try to floor it, it hits boost cut(or something that feels like that)! it won't let me go past 19-20 psi....any reason for this...maybe the shortage or whatevery happened reset my ecu?

Quick Reply: driving and suddenly fire under my hood!