Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Windshield rock chips/small cracks covered by insurance?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield rock chips/small cracks covered by insurance?

Sorry if this isnt the right place for my thread.Didnt really know if it was a faq or tech.Anyway.....

I got my evo used and recently noticed two small rock chips in my windshield which are basicly small cracks.They wouldnt really bother me but they are right in my field of vision.I had a car a few years back where the windshield was cracked about 4 inches long and my insurance company came out and replaced it free of charge.Just wondering if this is still heard of? Are there any cheap fixes for small glass spiders?
Old Jul 2, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

there are people who do glass repair. i've never used any myself, but here is one for example.
http://www.glassdoctor.com/Auto_Glas...eld_Repair.htm
Old Jul 2, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

If you have full coverage it covers everything. The only question is what your deductible is.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

When your Bro-in law smashes your windsheild they don't replace it unless you file a police report and it goes over your deductible, which it won't. Mine cost 298 for a new one that 2 wks later got cracked again by a rock and it needs to be replaced again. They make windsheild stickers to cover it up.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, depends on state and insurance. Here in MA insurance has 0 deductable for glass.... and it's VERY easy to get a broken windshield from flying rocks on the highway or.......... hitting a bit pothole the wrong way.

The crack usually has to be larger than a dollar bill (since that and smaller can be REPAIRED). Also it has to be in a visible area.

Although if you push at it sometimes the crack gets bigger. I would have preferred to keep my windshield rather than replace it since I put a tint strip on it... but the crack was too big
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Progressive fixed mine for free the next day. It was a chip with 4 cracks off it about 2 -3 inches in diam. He drilled out the end of each crack with a dremel then filled them with an epoxy like stuff. Been good ever since. Check with your insurer.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 05:14 AM
Fomer Vendor

Originally Posted by ImJoey
Sorry if this isnt the right place for my thread.Didnt really know if it was a faq or tech.Anyway.....

I got my evo used and recently noticed two small rock chips in my windshield which are basicly small cracks.They wouldnt really bother me but they are right in my field of vision.I had a car a few years back where the windshield was cracked about 4 inches long and my insurance company came out and replaced it free of charge.Just wondering if this is still heard of? Are there any cheap fixes for small glass spiders?
I don't think they will cover small chips/cracks. But, in FL windshields are 100% covered (free), that's why you didn't pay anything in the situation with your previous car. So if its bad enough, yeah, its covered 100%, no deductible.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

It all depends upon your insurance plan. Read the large packet that you received in the mail after you got your insurance plan and it should say it in there. If not I would call up your insurance company and ask them.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kerr
I don't think they will cover small chips/cracks. But, in FL windshields are 100% covered (free), that's why you didn't pay anything in the situation with your previous car. So if its bad enough, yeah, its covered 100%, no deductible.
+1, FREE, nada, nothing...u got it bro.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

It's best to get the windshield replaced esp. if the cracks are in your field of vision. I have $0 Deductable for glass for rock chips. Like the others said check your insurance plan. Depending on the state windshields need to be replaced every few years anyway due to pits / chips. In CO all you see is cracked windshields all over the place. In PA it is pretty rare to see.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

I have three chip replaced in my windshield for free with my insurance. I think the one thing that is going to hurt you is they are in your line of vision. I have always been told when I called the insurance company that if it is on the drivers side or line of vision they would repair them. Now getting the whole windshield replaced is an option. Most insurance companys have a deductable for that though. But if you call around you might find a glass shop willing to eat the deductable for you like I did once when I needed the whole windshield replaced.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

My policy literally started 3 weeks ago.I didnt want to drop this on them just yet.I guess Ill wait until the end of JUly and then Ill give them a call.If these chips could be repaired easily and unnoticably,then Id rather fill them in versus replacing the whole windshield.Thanks for all the responses.I had a feeling windshields were still covered in FL.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Because having a operable windshield is a safety issue even if you have a deductible 9 times out of 10 a window repair or replacement is free. Most places with wave or eat the deductible to get your business. Allstate advised me of may places like this when I had 100 dollar deductible on my cavalier RS back in 1994 OMG I am that ****ing old now....