Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Harness Bar Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:48 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Playaer
woot another one on my side haha

what harness bar do you run? the M1? any pics of it installed?

n what harnesses are u running?

thanks!
I have a few pics...but they're on my work computer, I will send them to you on monday. Also I am using sparco 3inch pro black, and i think its pretty good for the price and much better looking then that ugly green

The reason why I like the M1 is cuz of the Powder coating and also they have a small bar so the the belts doesnt move around during driving and for the prices

350 new and 180 used for m1 bar
400 new and 200 used for sparco bar

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...5&cat=0&page=1

anyone ask for more should be kick in the nutts

Last edited by redteam22003; Jul 21, 2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:03 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ambystom01
It's your choice but IMO it's stupid to do. You're increasing the risk of getting yourself or someone you know seriously hurt or killed. If you care that much about bling and such to do that, go ahead but personally I would rather do with the harnesses and have a safe car.
OMG getting out of bed increasing the risk of being kill by anything at anytime. C'mon man wake up

And what would you say to people that got save by harness bar with harness?
and also are you down with air bags too...cuz air bags kill kids and short people

JFK didnt have a harness bar but yet he still die

Bottom line is if its time for you to go there nothing you really can do
here a link about it ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFIHYlgxK5g

Last edited by redteam22003; Jul 21, 2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by redteam22003
OMG getting out of bed increasing the risk of being kill by anything at anytime. C'mon man wake up

And what would you say to people that got save by harness bar with harness?
and also are you down with air bags too...cuz air bags kill kids and short people

JFK didnt have a harness bar but yet he still die

Bottom line is if its time for you to go there nothing you really can do
here a link about it ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFIHYlgxK5g
Here's the difference (and why your argument is silly), we have no choice but to wake up. I have no choice but to drive to work because I like over 40 km away from by job. Am I increasing my risk of getting into an accident? Yes but I also take the steps necessary to reduce the chances of dying in an accident, ie. I wear my seatbelt, I maintain my car, etc.. Your argument simply shows how immature and naive you are. It'd be like saying "we all gotta die one day so lets just jump of this cliff without looking what's at the bottom".
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

I have personally witnessed several rollovers at track events and even autocrosses.

One of them being an EVO 8 on track without rollover protection but the driver was strapped in with a 4 pt Scroth harness mounted from the back seatbelt points (not a harness bar) through his stock Recaro seats. His helmet actually did touch the roof on impact, there was a clear dent in the roof were he first hit on impact. He and his passenger were not injured thank God just severely shaken up, the car was totalled.

Had there been a harnessbar that would have impaired his stock seat from folding backward and bending to absorb the imact the way it was designed to, it is certain that he would have suffered head and or neck trauma. This was his daily driver. He was an experienced instructor who is a friend of mine. We had previously made comments back and forth about his use of the 4pt harness, something I am completely against especially when not combined with at minimum 4 point rollover protection. He used to just joke it off and say "well, I won't roll over then".

4 Point harnesses I don't care how safe someone says they are, at least to me cannot save you from submarining compared to a 5 or 6 point harness.

Harness bars sans rollover protection are dangerous imo just based on the idea of a rollover and the inability of the OEM seat to absorb the impact. Then add my personal experience of seeing it first hand and a harness bar becomes handicap inducing or deadly and should be extremely cautioned against.

Some people will argue that they are using it on the street and that the track is more dangerous. The statistical occurance of an accident on the street is overwhelming. Sure tracking is dangerous but in a different way. At least on the track you are aware of the danger and should take steps to keep your car as safe as possible. But **** can still happen as illustrated above.

4PT harnesses = NG imo

Harness bars minus rollover protection = dangerous imo.

Racing shell/fixed back seats minus a minimum of rollover protection = dangerous imo. But ya gotta remember that once you start adding rollover protection even when it's padded properly, you should be wearing a helmet because your soft noggin just can't compete against metal and solid surfaces. So what comes up next is none of this stuff should really be used on the street and or at least the driver should know the consequences which I just don't think many young people realize or fully understand when they start messing with their OEM safety systems.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW my track only car (Integra Type-R) which is still street legal where the state is concerned but is towed to and from the track is equipped with 5 point Sabelt harnesses for both the driver and passenger. Now I will be replacing them because they are out of date as per their FIA certification and that 5 point harnesses will soon no longer be an option, I have upgraded to current Sabelt 6 points. I have an Autopower 4 point rollbar that is padded properly with a welded harnessbar and Sparco EVO2 seat. The car is back halved but I left the front interior and door panels in tact since I don't have sidebars. My airbags are removed as well.

These were the First mods I did to the car when I started tracking it 6 years ago. Forget more power or tires or brakes. That all came soon after anyway, but safety was first, and I took a long hard look at what was both required by SCCA and NASA clubs for such events as well as what was considered safe, more than safe and downright dangerous.

The last thing on my list before a full cage is a Han's device. I already wear a neck collar but they are for fatigue more than safety.

Last edited by Mr Chef; Jul 21, 2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:19 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Here's the difference (and why your argument is silly), we have no choice but to wake up. I have no choice but to drive to work because I like over 40 km away from by job. Am I increasing my risk of getting into an accident? Yes but I also take the steps necessary to reduce the chances of dying in an accident, ie. I wear my seatbelt, I maintain my car, etc.. Your argument simply shows how immature and naive you are. It'd be like saying "we all gotta die one day so lets just jump of this cliff without looking what's at the bottom".
yes yes...immature and naive...all your name calling really makes you a higher person

what do you say to people that buy conv cars? Dont cuz you might roll...
what do you say to people that jump out of planes? Dont cuz you might die
what do you to bull figher?
what about boxers
what about people that have Sh*ty jobs...like oil driller
what about cops
what about fire fighers?
or what about a guy that just wanted to add a harness bar to his evo

if you have so much worries about safety, then why dont you sell your evo and get a full size volvo....if you really wanna reduce your chances of an accident i say you take a bus to work, for how slow and how big they are

unless it turn out to be like that movie....speed

"enjoy your moment in the sun" "live everyday like its your last" "at the end of your road, no one remeber's you and no one cares"

I am done with this now if you dont see where i am coming from, then you wont see it....again sell your evo and get a big baby sit and sit in the middle of a van, that why for sure you will be safe on the road

Last edited by redteam22003; Jul 22, 2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by redteam22003
yes yes...immature and naive...all your name calling really makes you a higher person

what do you say to people that buy conv cars? Dont cuz you might roll...
what do you say to people that jump out of planes? Dont cuz you might die
what do you to bull figher?
what about boxers
what about people that have Sh*ty jobs...like oil driller
what about cops
what about fire fighers?
or what about a guy that just wanted to add a harness bar to his evo

if you have so much worries about safety, then why dont you sell your evo and get a full size volvo....if you really wanna reduce your chances of an accident i say you take a bus to work, for how slow and how big they are

unless it turn out to be like that movie....speed

"enjoy your moment in the sun" "live everyday like its your last" "at the end of your road, no one remeber's you and no one cares"

I am done with this now if you dont see where i am coming from, then you wont see it....again sell your evo and get a big baby sit and sit in the middle of a van, that why for sure you will be safe on the road
Again, you are not thinking about this logically. Car manufacturers like Subaru, Mitsubishi, Ford, Dodge, etc. have to spend millions in research and testing for a car to be declared safe for use. They have to address all different kinds of accidents, high speed, low speed, head on, side impact, rear impact, etc.. This means the factory safety equipment is pretty damn good at least in it's ability to cope with different situations. Convertibles are exposed to the same testing, in fact a lot of convertibles have built in roll bars that are either static or dynamic. Your other "examples" are not applicable as they either represent an extreme sport (and no one goes "oh I'm just jumping out of a plane, there's no risk", skydivers know the risks and accept the risks) or a job (again, cops and firefighters know the risks and accept the risks). I see no point in adding a harness bar to an evo, if you care about racing, get a roll bar or a CG-lock, if you care about looks, put it in at the show and take it out at the show.