Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

JDM EVO 9 REAR vs. INSURANCE ADJUSTER

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
JDM EVO 9 REAR vs. INSURANCE ADJUSTER

My friend is an Insurance adjuster for cars, he is the guy you see telling body shops what insurance company's pay or don't pay.

He came over my house the other day and I showed him my new JDM EVO 9 Rear, also my new Rexpeed carbon fiber rear spoiler, he loved both products on their fit and finish.

he saw the crash beam sitting on my garage floor and mentioned WTF is that doing off the car? don't you know that the beam is engineered that if you get hit in the *** it absorbs and spreads the impact throughout the car, without that beam the damage will be more extensive.

I said who cares I like the look, but he then mentioned that he came across other cars that were hit in the rear that had the crash beams taken off and he DID NOT APPROVE TO REPAIR MOST OF THE DAMAGE.

any input?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's right. The beams can be modified to fit with JDM rear though. Member Sophiesleeps did it.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, insurance companies will throw a fit for that - because they're whiney, and they don't like to pay out a penny more than they absolutely have it. (Regardless of the fact that everyone's premiums are so high)

I'm constantly fighting insurance adjusters at the shop, trying to get them to pay for procedures that people have been doing for years, and are dubbed the "Right" way. They're getting to the point that if you have a very small dent in the very bottom corner of a panel, they want us to do a color+clear blend in the middle of the panel. (Possible, but not a correct repair, as it'll fail regardless of how good you/your product are - think Mopar paint)
Old Jul 20, 2007, 04:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Whether or not you like how something looks, and keep or remove the crash beam, the beam will reduce the cost of repair most of the time. We all know if your hit hard enough, it makes very little difference. But removing the beam is just one more excuse not to cover a car that has extensive damage.

It can be modified to fit, and its better than nothing.

I personally think its pretty stupid to remove the beams on a car that is street driven.

My car was rear-ended twice driving in daily traffic, once standing still at a light by a tool in a z28 SS driving 40mph, the first time it was a moron kid in an Audi, the way the car was hit, if there was no crash beam I'd have two kinked quarters, and a f'ed trunk and trunk floor, the car would have had to be totaled. Additionally without the crash beam, its probable the insurance wouldn't have paid for half of the damage.

Its hard enough to get insurance companies to pay to get a car fixed properly using quality OEM or aftermarket parts that were originally on the car. I'm fortunate that my insurance company recognizes modified cars and acts appropriately.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

If you don't have the rear crash beam installed, you are just giving the insurance co a built in excuse to deny your claim if you ever get hit in the place where the protective beam is supposed to be. Your insurer would be completely within their rights legally to deny such a claim.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they sell the crash beam needed for the JDM bumper on mitsubishiparts.net
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
they sell the crash beam needed for the JDM bumper on mitsubishiparts.net
To my knowledge, that part is not a crashbeam at all. It is a bracket or reinforcement for the bumper but not a crash beam. Anyone who has a crash beam with a jdm IX rear either fabbed one up or modified the original.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

why even mod the original? adjusters will probably see it unless done very well
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about a beam that will fit under the INGS front? I'd love to look into that...
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

what kind of crash beam do they use on the JDM cars?
cant they be exported here, or maybe they are not approved by the Department Of Transportation?

do we have different safety standards then they do?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aklucsarits
If you don't have the rear crash beam installed, you are just giving the insurance co a built in excuse to deny your claim if you ever get hit in the place where the protective beam is supposed to be. Your insurer would be completely within their rights legally to deny such a claim.

You are correct sir, I called my friend this morning and he said that if they want they dont have to pay a penny, even though the car was hit in the rear.

something to think about, but I still like the look.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRAGHICI
what kind of crash beam do they use on the JDM cars?
cant they be exported here, or maybe they are not approved by the Department Of Transportation?

do we have different safety standards then they do?
^im sure they do...
you should ask your friend about "what if the crash beam was modified to fit would they cover it>?" lol since the mod is so easy it might be worth it
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slick-IX
^im sure they do...
you should ask your friend about "what if the crash beam was modified to fit would they cover it>?" lol since the mod is so easy it might be worth it
NO, if there are eagle eye adjusters they will notice it, these guys know their ****
Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:21 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikSchultzy
Yeah, insurance companies will throw a fit for that - because they're whiney, and they don't like to pay out a penny more than they absolutely have it. (Regardless of the fact that everyone's premiums are so high)

I'm constantly fighting insurance adjusters at the shop, trying to get them to pay for procedures that people have been doing for years, and are dubbed the "Right" way. They're getting to the point that if you have a very small dent in the very bottom corner of a panel, they want us to do a color+clear blend in the middle of the panel. (Possible, but not a correct repair, as it'll fail regardless of how good you/your product are - think Mopar paint)
They have every right to throw a fit if you're driving without a crash beam. That's just pure negligence on the consumers part.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

i thought about this before getting mine... but if someone rearends you, it will be most likely their fault you can talk to them at the scene of the accident and tell them to pay out of packet and bs them on insurance going up for them blah blah blah... (<bad idea?)

Last edited by Slick-IX; Jul 20, 2007 at 06:44 AM.

Quick Reply: JDM EVO 9 REAR vs. INSURANCE ADJUSTER