Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cat delete or high flow cat...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2007, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for performance definitely a testpipe. keep in mind people driving in back of you will get high off the fumes or you will notice more stench when idle.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

I went with the HFC for noise purposes. I didn't want an overbearing exhaust note. I know that a test pipe will give you more power though.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
CARB killed the electric car- that's the only way someone will not pollute (as much)

Driving any auto powered by an internal combustion engine will pollute, it's not like if it has a cat, petunias come out of the tailpipe. Just with a catalytic converter it will not pollute as much. We could all trade in our evos and get Honda Insights and reduce our "green footprint" but that's no fun. I am not an environmentalist but I do my best not to be an a$$hole. I'll plant trees and hug them, but if you think you're taking my evo, you got another thing coming bi0tch.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chemwarrior
I went with the HFC for noise purposes. I didn't want an overbearing exhaust note. I know that a test pipe will give you more power though.
It depends on what exhaust you have. On My greddy SP2, the testpipe is no louder than my HFC. The only thing that changed was the pitch of the noise. It got deeper.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by qwon526
for performance definitely a testpipe. keep in mind people driving in back of you will get high off the fumes or you will notice more stench when idle.
tp ftw! and if your smelling exhaust in your car, you got a leak or something, i know about 4-5 evo owners ive ridden w/ who also have testpipes never smelled it ever, not to include my own...
Old Jul 26, 2007, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Read the following...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter
Old Jul 26, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

like I said, go with the morons and we will still be using fossil fuels in 50 years. every little bit counts, and if you can't see that I'm glad your inhaling the extra fumes
Old Jul 26, 2007, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

I use the QTEC e-cut DP. Best of both world IMHO. Stock sounding, looking for daily driving, and maximum power when needed.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Just go with a Test Pipe, and plant like 3 trees to offset the polution you will be putting out... Happy Dangerous Dan?!?! Give it a break
Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DangerousDan
HFC, otherwise you are a polluting moron. that is all I will say about that, other than the more informative information below

btw, I hate people who think "everyone else does it why can't I?" man up and take responsibility for what you do. screw what everyone else is doing, especially if they are polluting morons.

and for the record, test pipes are for the track, HFC's are legal but only if you don't have a working CAT at the time. just because it is high flow doesn't mean it can't be CARB certified.
yeah? drive a deisel and youre doing even more damage so i guess that makes any deisel driving moron a super moron. dude gimme a break. these things come with the territory.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:24 AM

I've run either a test pipe or straight through delete, in socal, for a pretty long time now. I've never gotten ticketed or anything for it.. and if I were to get a ref ticket I would just slap the stocker back on. Not too difficult all in all. There are much more troublesome mods to get ticketed for.

It depends on where you drive and how you drive, as well... make it more difficult for cops to profile you as a "street racer" (wingless, well-resonated and muffled exhaust, no stickers, no crazy loud BOV) and they will be as unlikely to investigate you for illegal parts as they would be to investigate any other car.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

If you dont have emissions go with the test pipe.I didnt notice much at all in sound difference.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
the smell is quite obvious when you dont have a cat and you drive behind the car (think cop). I run a HFC for the record
Old Jul 26, 2007, 05:37 PM

I recently switched to a test pipe from a high-flow cat. It is louder by quite a bit, but the power is def better. I think you should also base your decision on how strict the police are in your area towards modified cars. Some areas (California) are alot worse than others.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by urslo4n8
yeah? drive a deisel and youre doing even more damage so i guess that makes any deisel driving moron a super moron. dude gimme a break. these things come with the territory.
this is exactly my point. it doesn't matter what other people do. you have no control of other people, but you do have control over what you do. are you using that extra 5, 10, or 20 HP on the street? what for? to prove you can have that power? just to have that power you are willing to degrade the environment? ****ing tool. power that has negative consequences, such as pollution, is for the track. do you have a race gas tune? do you drive on race gas every day, back and forth to work? I bet not, and that's my point about the test pipe. unless you are racing you don't need things like race gas or a test pipe.

all 2007 MY deisel vehicles run on the new diesel. almost all countries recognize pollution as a world problem. people everywhere are taking steps to minimize pollutants. we don't throw everything away anymore, we recycle almost every type of waste we produce. every single person makes a difference, including evo drivers. it's up to you what difference you are making. if you choose to pollute more than necessary for power that you couldn't possibly utilize on the street, then you aren't thinking straight. tell me why you need that extra HP on the street, and I will drop it right now. running from the cops? crazy man in a z06 chasing you with a gun?

semi's pollute a lot more than passenger cars, and it's a problem. that's why there are regulations changing the way the engines in those vehicles operate, effective over the next couple of years so the price of milk and bread doesn't triple. no, car guys aren't the biggest offenders on the road, but they are the only ones who consistently pollute more than necessary absolutely on PURPOSE. If you think, for any reason, that this makes sense then you have proven my point and should consider yourself a moron.

Quick Reply: cat delete or high flow cat...