Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rallying an EVO VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know of any good 5 stud US dealers for those rims? would be a pain for shipping, etc. also anyone has their tire/rim combo to post?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:20 AM

Dan Sprongl at Four Star Motorsports has a boatload of Compomotives in stock currently if I'm not mistaken.

As for getting into rally, you can do it in an Evo but I'd highly recommend starting in something FWD. Leave your Evo as your daily, pick up a cheap beater to rallyx (trust me, it doesn't matter what it is, you'll have fun) and if you are beside yourself with anticipation to get involved in the sport, go to one of the classified sites mentioned above and pick up a cheap 2wd car.

As for rally Evo stuff,
We have an Evo 6.5 and are running a host of rally-specific parts. If you ever get serious, this is some of the basic tried and true stuff:

DMS 50mm Gravel suspension

AP Racing 4-piston front and rear calipers (clears 15" wheel with more stop than you'll ever get out of your Brembos )

Custom fabricated skidplate (for Evo's, to buy one it will probably come from overseas)

Autronic ECU w/ Anti-Lag

Other various stuff: hydraulic handbrake, Stack dash display, pedalbox with brake bias valve, steel braided brake, clutch and fuel lines, dual fuel pumps and filters, Fuel Safe cell, OMP rally steering wheel, Peltor intercom, OMP carbon kevlar seats, too much to list!

As for rally tires, you don't need to spend the big dollars on the Michelin, you won't see a competitive advantage as a novice. Silverstone makes a great rally tire and it is very affordable.

http://www.taborrallyteam.com/silver...lverstone.html

You're going to have a very hard time finding 16" gravel rally tires in stock anywhere.. From my understanding, these were rather limited to begin with and the low demand has meant they have ceased or nearly-ceased production. Sube Sports does still list them and may have some in stock but I would hate to see you spend a fortune on 16" Compomotives only to then find out you're SOL on getting rally tires. My advice, don't rally the Evo right now. Brakes are expensive to get into a 15" rim and the equipment is expensive to boot. Not to mention, you're talking about thrashing your daily that you've obviously put a lot of money into.

Any way you slice it, however, you'll have a blast!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

evo 8 FTW
Old Aug 24, 2007, 01:50 PM

Another great video clip of Evos rallying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N4wK...elated&search=
Old Aug 24, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

I love rally, and would like to someday get into it as well.

excuse my possibly noobish question
but why is a small 16 inch wheel the best choice?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

15 inch wheels are normally the best because there are so many rally tires for 15s. 16s are more rare, and there are hardly any in 17.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

another thing about brakes...ive seen people on the rallyclassifieds using a set of Eclipse brakes (rotors, calipers and carriers), and using a bracket adapter to run 15" rims.

like the guys do for drag racing...

and rule of thumb for rally racing.

if you can afford to roll your car every race, then you can afford to rally race.

but why is a small 16 inch wheel the best choice?
because, a 15-16" rim will have more sidewall to absorb rocks and bumps...

on the stock advans you only have about a 3" sidewall...you want at least a 5" sidewall to absorb more shock...

Last edited by SoCalRedLine; Aug 24, 2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 04:31 PM

There are no gravel rally tires available in 17 and confirmation that 16's are discontinued. You will only be able to find gravel tires in a 15" more or less now.

As SoCalRedline said, sidewall is key. You want your tire to act as the primary absorber of a lot of impacts, sidewall especially (which is more flexible? rubber or rim?)
Old Aug 24, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

^he he, exactly. I have been offroading for a long time. i know the necessity of a lot of rubber.

I cant afford to pay the bank if i roll my car, so i dont rally, but like to have fun in the dirt.

As for 17" dirt tires, i was able to find these tires on Tirerack, and they seem alright for 17" tires...i wonder how well they would perform for rallyX. Anyone have any info?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=40
they arent too expensive, and are pretty knobbly...
Old Aug 24, 2007, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rallyman
Here is a link to put you off that idea:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...97344002627039

1hr and 34min....daaaammmnnn....I love rally....but aint gonna watch all of that