Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wondering to buy S2000 or EVO IX MR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2007, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its why their top speed is so low... I don't feel bad, the engine is reliable as hell.

Anyway, first off, fastest N/A lap at Tsukuba was done in an S2k.
You CAN have sex in a two seater, it just isn't as easy. If that's why you want a car get a truck with a bench seat.

Here's my take: I've owned an S2k (well, co-owned, with my dad), an Evo, and now the Carrera. The S2k was A LOT more expensive to mod, especially since there isn't really a good reliable shop to do the work here, however, from day one it was more fun to drive then the Evo and for a long time (till my dad went crazy) the Evo was definitly faster in every category. Then came race slicks, a turbo, gutted interior, roll cage, moton motor-sports, and a whole lotta other crap... and there went everything else. So at that point the S2k was a race car, so we'll rule that area of my experience with them out (since, at that point its total net value would've been about 100k) even though it did keep up enough with a Carrera GT to make the driver make a mistake.

So, ruling the racing part out and just being a DD, since the Evo is the definite way to go if you want to be fast racing, the S2k is the way you want to go if you want to really feel like you're driving a race car.

The Evo is much better at most things for daily driving, other than the pain in the *** turbo lag. The S2k is certainly more "pimp" and to me, in its stock form, more luxurious. I loved the digital speedo display in the S2k and it was the best convertible I've driven (driven a Carrera convert, a TT and a Z3 and as far as convertible features go [low noise, rain control, fast up-down, etc] the S2k was the best). Not a whole lotta space in the S2k for storage but there's enough for a decent trip alone to Costco.

Really here's the thing: 17-23k for a used S2k (probably even less, since most I've seen have been in the 17-18k range) 20-30k for used Evo depending on model or year... With that said, if I were you I'd buy a used 2003-'04 Evo for around 20k. If I were looking at my '03 next to an '04 S2k for the same price, I'd buy my Evo again in a heart beat. If you find a '05 or newer S2k for under 20k, then things get tricky. Buy some decent suspension and a bumpsteer kit and I can promise you'll have fun on the track, but you will never be an appropriate drag car.

So really, just drive both cars and see what you like and if the price is right go for whichever you feel is the one for you. I can tell you this though, when I take my car to get the dealer work done on it (fixing things under the "new" car warranty, once parts get in) if they let me choose any car on the lot as my "loaner" (which I am thinking they will) I will be picking one of their two S2000s.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for anyone who prefers the looks and drop-top of the s2k over the Evo but wants the Evo's power and mod-ability, there are a few 700whp+ s2k's with the 2JZ engine swap (read: Supra) and a big *** turbo (GT45r) selling on autotrader.com for like $29k - $35k... The swaps are done by a garage called 50/50 racing

oh yeah, there's also some sick vids up on YouTube on how those ^^^ cars aren't getting much traction to the rear wheels...
Old Sep 12, 2007, 02:08 PM

i say go with the evo ftw!!!!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Evo = Man's car
S2K = Girl's car

Evo- Rare/Exclusive
Evo- Mod-friendly
Evo- Feared by Ricers and V8 owners
Evo- More useful
Evo- Fits 4 people
Evo- All Seasons
Evo- All Roads
Evo- Aggressive styling
Evo- Big trunk for whatever
Evo- Backseat for whatever
Evo- Legroom if you're tall
Evo- Aftermarket is here for you

S2K- Mostly driven by old men, grandmothers, and girls
S2K- Everybody thinks they can smoke one
S2K- 1 passenger limit
S2K- 1/2 a trunk
S2K- No backseat
S2K- Everyone will look in your car to see if you're a chick
S2K- RWD= drive like a puss in the snow and rain
S2K- Looks bland and common
S2K- Built for short people only
S2k- Less mod friendly
S2K- slower than Evo's

I am NOT biased

Last edited by E\/0IXG$R; Sep 12, 2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Well if you're gonna ask this question on an Evo site you're gonna get biased answers
Old Sep 12, 2007, 05:10 PM

same thing if ask on the S2K forum lol... damn im so confused!!!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 05:38 PM

http://www.s2ki.com/Home/index.php?o...=238&Itemid=60

check this link out... is true that more skill is required to drive an S2000?...
dont mind the "tuner corolla though" it comes from a S2K forum...
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by omajin
http://www.s2ki.com/Home/index.php?o...=238&Itemid=60

check this link out... is true that more skill is required to drive an S2000?...
dont mind the "tuner corolla though" it comes from a S2K forum...
Holy fu(king ****. That was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. I agree entirely that the S2000 is a far more focused car, but he didn't leave it at that. A lot of what he wrote is just horse****.

Of course the S2000 is harder to drive than the Evo. Problem is, a lot of the reason for that isn't very good. See, the Evo has a magical thing called "low-end torque" which allows it to pull hard even if you aren't in the perfect gear all the time. The S2000's "phenomenal F20 or F22" produces 162 lb-ft @ 6800 rpm to the IX's 289 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm. S2000 owners have been known to try to play off this complete lack of ***** below 6000 rpm as a good thing. This article is a good example.

As I have no homework tonight, I might just go through the article piece by piece. There is a lot of bull**** in there.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For starters, let's see how the "purpose-built sports car" fares against the "tuner Corolla" around the most demanding/difficult racetrack in the world, shall we?

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?vie...ID=0&tID=10073

Nordschleife excluding GP track, 20.6 kms:
http://www.scuderia-hanseat.de/en/nu...g-roadmap.html

8:11 --- 151,274 km/h -- Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX (Best Motoring video 14)
8:39 --- 142.890 km/h -- Honda S2000, 240 PS/1275 kg (sport auto 01/00)

Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

I own an EVO and have driven a few S2000's. Needless to say, they are two VERY different cars in every aspect. I love S2000's, and they feel amazing. They handle great and NA has a certain feel that boost lacks. But it goes both ways, boost also has a feel NA lakcs. Both have their pros and cons.

Before my EVO, the S2000's was the most fun I have ever had in a car. I never got to REALLY driven an S2000 seeing as though they were customer cars at the Honda Dealership I work at, But I've driven them enough to get a good enough impression. As I said before the S2000 was the best handling, and most fun I've ever had in a car. My EVO has now taken it's place :P

One of my good buddies who is a Hondaolholic has also driven his fair share of S2000's. He agree's entirely the EVO is a better car as far as performance goes. As far as looks go, everybody is different. I love the way both cars look.

Conclusion: I'd take my EVO over an S2000 anyday. Though, I'd love to have one somebody as they defiantly ARE amazing cars
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting articles. I believe the S2000 is a great car as well, I drove one and I had way for fun driving one until I felt no low end torque. ( the car has no *****) and how small they are(6ft 170lbs) I think the S2000 is way more rewarding, because you have to be way more precise with the car, and just be a damn good driver. The Fastest NA S2000 that went around Tsukuba didn't weigh anything at all in fact it looked like a tube chassis, basically a kit car. So that has alot to do with how fast they went around.
I could only Imagine how much it cost them to build up that All motor Engine. At the end of the day power to weight ratio is just as important as having power. Also, the guy in that article who said that he stepped on the gas in the S2000 around the turn. Well he really doesn't have anything to worry about I mean you don't have any torque until peak torque @ 6800 rpms with only a measly 162 ft lbs. whilst the Evo you have to drive it differently because it is not a RWD car and actually has low end torque. Anyways, I would go either way it will be more rewarding with an S2000, but I also like having some power when you step on the throttle. IMO I would get neither the Evo or the S2000 and just purchase a Miata or a 240sx and learn how to really drive a car, and use your money doing some Auto X's and Circuits. You will have a ton more fun that way, knowing how to control a car to it's limit. Then afterwards get an FD and swap an LS1. I love FI, but nothing beats having power in any gear that your on, and not waiting for boost to spool up. Plus the S2000 may have 240 HP but just look at how low the torque is.

Last edited by slicedbreadno2; Sep 12, 2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Coming from a CURRENT owner of BOTH cars, I'd have to say that it really depends on what your needs/desires are.

1. If you are looking for sheer power, the EVO wins hands-down.
2. If you are looking for a car that is easily modable and makes big power, the EVO wins. However, once you install a GT35R (or bigger) turbo kit on an S2000 it becomes a whole other animal. There isn't a better flowing engine then the F20/F22 period.
3. If you are looking for a car that performs well in drag racing, the EVO wins hands-down.
4. If you are looking for a car that performs well in auto-x/road racing, both cars do very well.
5. If you are looking for a car that is more of an eye catcher, then IMHO the S2000 wins.
6. If you are looking for a reliable car, the S2000 wins hands-down because you cannot beat the reliability of a Honda or Toyota.
7. If you are looking for a car with the lowest total ownership costs, I'd say the S2000 has the advantage.

As I mentioned in the beginning of this post, I currently have both cars. The Evo is a pleasure to drive, but until it is mod'd further it doesn't give me that wow factor. In my turbo S2000 on the other hand, the car pulls HARD. I have had several people tell me that it accelerates hard like a street bike, and that is no stretch of the truth.

Good luck on your decision.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

ur s2k must be quite fast, got any vids/pics?
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlyEvo
ur s2k must be quite fast, got any vids/pics?
Car is undergoing further modifications, but here are a few pics of what the engine bay looked like:

Here is a list of the current modifications:

Engine/Performance Mods: Garrett GT3567R ball bearing turbo (turbine housing polished); Full-Race turbo manifold (black 2000 degree coating); inlinePRO 600hp intercooler; Speed Force Racing charge pipes (3" cold side / 2.5" hot side) (powder coated black); Full-Race down-pipe and dump-tube; Tial 44mm wastegate; inlinePRO billet blow-off valve; Full-Race oil filter relocation kit; custom steel-braided oil feed/return kit; Walbro 255 fuel pump; RC 1000cc injectors; OEM resistor box; B&M fuel pressure gauge (tapped into OEM fuel rail); AEM 3.5 BAR MAP sensor; Richmond 4.57-R final drive; Comptech reinforced differential; custom single 3" exhaust with Tanabe Tuner Medalion (racing trim); prototype engine management system; Hondata intake manifold gasket; ACT pressure plate; Comptech lightened flywheel; Speed Force Racing dual oil catch can and radiator overflow reservoir; Mugen compressor belt; Rick's lightweight pulleys/tensioners; heater/air conditioning system completely removed; Koyo radiator; FAL dual radiator fans; Samco Sport upper/lower radiator hoses; Mugen thermostat; Blitz radiator cap; Krank vents

Suspension/Wheel Mods: Ground Control coilovers; Koni Yellows; Volk LE28Ns (17x7.5 / 17x9); Falken Azenis RT-615 (225/45-17 / 255/40-17); Go Fast Lab “hardcore” roll bar; Comptech front camber adjuster

Exterior Mods: Mugen FRP hardtop (OEM softtop removed); Seibon carbon fiber Mugen-style hood; Mugen SS wing; Craft Square TC carbon fiber mirrors

Interior Mods: Buddy Club racing seats; Taitec seat rails; Sparco 4-point safety harnesses; Defi Control Unit II; Defi boost gauge; Defi oil pressure gauge; Defi EGT gauge

With these these modifications it was making over 500rwhp (dynapack). The engine will be fully built and a R200 rear differential kit (capable of holding 1000hp) is being installed. The car will make around 650rwhp after the engine build.

It currently weighs ~2500lbs. The power-to-weight ratio is pretty hard to beat.

Last edited by 1QYK9; Sep 12, 2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2sk is nice but EVO all the way FTMFW

Quick Reply: Wondering to buy S2000 or EVO IX MR?