Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wondering to buy S2000 or EVO IX MR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondering to buy S2000 or EVO IX MR?

Hello guys,

Fellow owner of the evo, i would like to ask you guys about evos vs. s2000. By looking at the specs, i see that an evo is superior but i would also take in consideration of other things such as looks warranty, service issues, reliability. and you know since honda is honda... and i heard many ****ty stuff about mitsubishi voiding warrants and stuff im really on the mist right now...
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

It depends on what your goals are. Do you plan on modding either car? Mitsu has been known to drop warranties based on mods, and that's the risk you take with a Mitsu. My Evo is a 2003 and one of the first 50 brought to the US. I've had not one problem with mine. Honda does have a good rep, so I'm sure they're reliable, until you start modding. I don't know much about reliability beyond that.

As for looks, they are so drastically different that you can't really compare them. The Evo is far more versatile and a car you can grow into. You're kind of stuck with your two-seat S2000 and no trunk space. It doesn't leave any room for growing. The Evo is a more versatile car that can beat exotics right out of the box. What's not to like about the Evo?
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
really its up to you. i myself chose the evo because of my life style, i have a kid, and i always have cargo because of my job. so what could be better than a 4door, AWD, and turbo charged vehicle, could of bought an STI but i like evo just a little better. so yeah anyways its up to you. so if the shoe fits, then wear it. i always say!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

I like the s2000 for weekend/night driving/handling/looks. Evo makes the better daily driver though. Evo can be made quick and fast for little money where as FI is needed on the s2k. I can't drive the s2k with the top up due to blind spots so I always drive it top down but that is a nuisance if it rains water or bright *** sunshine rays.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

UM not even a question EVO. 4 doors, 4 cyl, 280 hp, 4WD. Are you kidding, yes warrenty can me an issue but not all dealers are the same. Reliabilty, the 4g63 has been around forever. I honestly thing there is not a better engine out there. The cars mod easiler will hold up. Yes there are bad apples just like every car. There are no service issues just change the oil every 2500 miles full synthetic. All other fluids when they are top be done and the car will last as long as you want it to. I would not ever heisitate. EVO FTW.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:52 AM

The problem i started to like S2k is for the reason that the So Cal Dealer are damn shady.. can you imagine 06 car brand new is more expensive, they tricked me by saying its 33,999 and when i got there to actually buy it, it was all suddenly on hold. they say other ppl put deposits oon them its rare!! so if i want to buy it i have to give a better offer.. Lol wtf kind of dealer is that.. if you want to know what the dealer is i can send you a pm..

One more thing im pissed off at is the condition of all 4 "brand new evo" is bad, exterior wise. the paints are all scratched up as if they washed it with cloth filled sand, many key scratched marks and dings here and there. they leave it outside on the sun so it was really obvious and thank God it is sunny that morning.

Doing more research i found that alot of mitsu evo owners have been dissapointed by the service and warranty issues of the dealer. Its around this forum somewhere im sure ive read it.

well coz this is practically my real first car ever other than driving my sis car. i dont want to regret picking up either the S2000 or EVO IX MR...

and btw i wont buy them from the dealer i wont even go there anymore, even if they have the color i wanted and lower the price. i would rather find some private seller. Mitsu dealers are shady!!!

According to my friend he would rather get a S2K with that amount of budget to spend.. simply because its a sport car, and quoting "not some upgraded lancer".
and he also said that it is very nice for a inline 4 to generate 286 hp w/ turbo, but the tear and wear will also be big...

im not sure about this so enlighten me pls!!

Last edited by omajin; Sep 12, 2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

neither
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:58 AM

mm so what would you suggest saiyan??... why neither ahahaha...
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by omajin
According to my friend he would rather get a S2K with that amount of budget to spend.. simply because its a sport car, and quoting "not some upgraded lancer". and he also said that it is very nice for a inline 4 to generate 286 hp w/ turbo, but the tear and wear will also be big...im not sure about this so enlighten me pls!!
What kind of car does your friend own? To me, seems like he like S2K so he's trying to talk you into buying one.

If the S2K is a sports car, then what's the Evo? Did any S2k won a WRC? Who own the fasted lap record at Tsukuba?

But the thing is, why are you letting people put thoughts into your mind. Is you or is him that likes the S2K?
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
you won't regret getting an evo

just mod it with reliable parts get a solid tune and take care of it

you'll be happy for sure
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Dude...I'm not ******* on your friend, but anyone who says the Evo is just an "upgraded Lancer" certainly shouldn't be giving advice about the car. You are correct about the warranty issues, but as stated, it does vary from dealer to dealer. It just depends. If you're that concerned, you should buy a new Evo so you know EXACTLY what is being done to the car.

The S2K is an amazing car, but after you spend the money to turbo it with all supporting mods, you could have made your Evo crazy fast and done so safely. I think you will evenutally regret the S2K because after 4 years of Evo ownership, I still have not outgrown my car nor will I. You simply can't beat the out-of-the-box performance of the Evo with the potential for power with only light modding. This really should be a no-brainer.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

It's a very simple choice. If you only have one car to drive around...and you plan on going on vacation, buying groceries, going to the track, driving in the snow, etc. then you want the Evo. If you are buying a second car for sunny weekends, well the choice is less obvious. There is no way I would have a 2-door convertible as my only car. It just isn't practical no matter how you slice it. You'd be hating yourself for it unless you have someone else's car you can borrow A LOT.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

I owned a Evo for about a year until it was stolen. Bought a S2000 after that. As much as I loved the Evo, i'm having way more fun with the S2000. The Evo is a faster car, but the S2000 is just a blast to drive. The handling is amazing, the sound of the engine is insane and the convertible is just fun. But in the end, it all depends what you need the car for. If you need the room, get the Evo. If you just want a car for fun on the side, get the S.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:09 PM

Anyone knows that if i got a 2nd hand evo that the warranty transfers or not? do i just need to drive the car to the dealer ship and show license etc..? or do i need call the dealer to let them know that i just bought it off another private party??
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by omajin
Hello guys,

Fellow owner of the evo, i would like to ask you guys about evos vs. s2000. By looking at the specs, i see that an evo is superior but i would also take in consideration of other things such as looks warranty, service issues, reliability. and you know since honda is honda... and i heard many ****ty stuff about mitsubishi voiding warrants and stuff im really on the mist right now...
food for thought: guy i work with bought one and he came out of a srt4....he says he misses his srt4...... id go with the evo.....

Quick Reply: Wondering to buy S2000 or EVO IX MR?