Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wondering to buy S2000 or EVO IX MR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WICKed'N'EVO
2sk is nice but EVO all the way FTMFW
To each is own. Seeing as how I own both, I have the best of both worlds.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sEvoIXnTurboS2k
To each is own. Seeing as how I own both, I have the best of both worlds.
Your car is just nuts. Any interior/exterior shots?
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by omajin
http://www.s2ki.com/Home/index.php?o...=238&Itemid=60

check this link out... is true that more skill is required to drive an S2000?...
dont mind the "tuner corolla though" it comes from a S2K forum...
It does take more skill to drive the s2k at its limit than it does to drive the Evo at its limit. Depends on what you want really...if you simply want to go fast then the Evo is obviously the better car, but if you want that sense of acheivement from being able to control a difficult to drive car then the s2k would be better suited for that.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
Your car is just nuts. Any interior/exterior shots?
At this point only old ones:

Once my S is back up and running I will take some complete pics. Until then it will continue to collect dust and my wife's Evo will get mod'd!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolved Monkey
It does take more skill to drive the s2k at its limit than it does to drive the Evo at its limit. Depends on what you want really...if you simply want to go fast then the Evo is obviously the better car, but if you want that sense of acheivement from being able to control a difficult to drive car then the s2k would be better suited for that.
The S2000 is by no means an easy car to drive competitively. I have both auto-x and road raced it and my skills simply aren't even close to what the car is capable of. My third car is an '04 Civic with a K20A2 and many, many other mods and I am far more confident driving it fast through corners than I am the S2000 or Evo.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:02 PM
R9

Originally Posted by omajin
http://www.s2ki.com/Home/index.php?o...=238&Itemid=60

check this link out... is true that more skill is required to drive an S2000?...
dont mind the "tuner corolla though" it comes from a S2K forum...
this is nice but what is really ironic is that at the end of this they say an s2000 is to be compared to a ferrari, lotus, etc. when in fact the evo is the one being compared to these exotics.but dont get me wrong, i think the s2000 is a superb car as well. Also he says evo owners exaggerate way too much, then again
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

s2k more like s2gay hahaha. I'm just kidding I thouht that was funny, get an EVO!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sEvoIXnTurboS2k
The S2000 is by no means an easy car to drive competitively. I have both auto-x and road raced it and my skills simply aren't even close to what the car is capable of. My third car is an '04 Civic with a K20A2 and many, many other mods and I am far more confident driving it fast through corners than I am the S2000 or Evo.
you can't beat having both. that s2k looks like a hell of a project. keep us posted.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:40 PM

if you go with the s2k, stock they are slow as *****... no offense to anyone. My best friend has a black 01... and he was PISSED the day i bought my evo, i rolled on him no problem. Also, trying to boost the s2k to even make it compare-able to the evo is pretty costly. Around 5-6k for a nice kit, and then a LOT of work. I have seen boosted S2k's and they are sick... i wont lie... They handle well and im jealous that the gears are so long. But other than that i think i have a LOT more fun in the Evo.. plus, i can fit more girls in it!!!!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

I also had experience owning both, and can't really say one is superior to the other. They have two very different purpose. Saying EVO is better hands down because it is faster would be like saying gixxer 1000 is better than EVO hands down because it is faster.

As for Tsukuba record, I believe cybe EVO holds the overall record while the ASM s2000 holds the NA record. The ASM S2000 makes around 300whp and weighs just under 2000lbs (something like 1984lbs). Think of it as Exige S with upped boost and minor weight reduction.

If drag racing your car is the main purpose of the purchase and you have endless supply of cash to support the mods, just go with the 350z. If you race ppl on high way, from the lights, or just want something that goes like stink with not so much money involved, EVO is a good choice.

FYI, believe it or not, both 4G63 AND F20C/F22C can handle up to 500whp with stock internals, although you'd have to lower the compression ratio on F2#C with gasket.

As for auto-x, you might have more fun and get better results in an s2k.

For road racing, probably the EVO.

You get less harassments from the law enforcement in an s2k than an evo.

FI'ing an s2k is fun and unique but it kinda destroys the whole purpose of the car. It has weak drivetrain.

And no, majority of the s2k drivers are NOT seniors nor girls. You probably have never been to s2k meets.

S2k is not a car made just for the looks. IMO s2k has some odd looks from some views (like the angle of the windscreen) to be a 'fashion' car. If looking good is all you care about, just get a Saturn Sky and save yourself a lot of money.

The s2k is 'hard' to drive, because you have to be in the right gear all the time. Also the backend peaks out quite fast at times during cornering and will scare a lot of people. If a person is a decent driver, it shouldn't be much of a concern, it will be more of a nuisance than a danger.

If I remember clearly, s2k had 4star frontal crash and 5 star side impact ratings. Not sure on EVO but I heard as bad as 1 front 2 side.

As a lot of people mentioned above, the fun factor and the tranny on s2k is tough to beat.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Trouble
If I remember clearly, s2k had 4star frontal crash and 5 star side impact ratings. Not sure on EVO but I heard as bad as 1 front 2 side.
I don't believe the Evo has been tested, but I think the Lancer got 4 front and 2 side.

Great points otherwise.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

another thought for you, besides the evo is a ****load more powerful stock and mind you , you can cram 3 big sized friends in there possibly 4. the s2000 is not for a bigger man, not sure your height and weight, but me when i went to look at one i had a problem getting outa one of those lil bastards. dont get me wrong the car is sexy but. really im much more happy with 4 doors, a turboed motor, and a big carbon fiber me. the choice is yours. choose wisely and dont let your buddy with an s2k feed bull**** to your head,
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
apples and oranges..
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

lol good point on the fitment, I totally forgot cuz I'm 5'7" 120lbs ^^

I have a friend who's 6'1" and 200lbs, only way he can fit was to have his knee sticking up with his shin on the dash, with seat all the way back. But funny thing is that for another friend who was 6'4" and weigh 220lbs had a snug fit with seat all the way back.

When I was shopping around I saw a used Elise (I can get ones with rover motors here in Hong Kong for not so high price), it was pretty difficult even for me to get in with the targa roof on, because of that big lump below the doors, but once I was in, it was considerably roomy.

Since I'm so used to small cars, when I first bought and drove EVO, it felt like I was driving a truck.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by E\/0IXG$R

S2K- Built for short people only
I agree with this one. If I was under 6ft, I would consider getting one.

Quick Reply: Wondering to buy S2000 or EVO IX MR?