Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

winter evo prep...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
winter evo prep...

its gonna start snowing here pretty soon and im really excited to take my evo to tahoe. jus curious what do other evo snow go-ers do to get your car ready for the powder..if any?? and what cables do you reccomend?
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If you bought your car new, they made you sign papers that said your NOT gonna put snow chains on it.

For an EVO in the snow, you just need clearance and all season tires. Summer performance tires turn into ice skates in cold temps.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

for winter i touch up all the rock chips so they dont rust from the salt. Just put some good snow tires on and you'll be set. It's also recommended to put in 5w30 oil if you will be starting the car in -20*f weather.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

well heres my version of winter prep, it sleeps in the garage and u take out ur beater and mess around in the snow haha
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:18 PM

Put on snow tires (or at least all-seasons).
Check tire pressures at cold temps.
Good coat of wax.
Winter wiper blades (I use the Anco ones) -- these don't get snow stuck in the blade mechanism if you use them during a snow storm.
Make sure windshield wiper fluid is the winter mix (not watered down).
Check coolant level and percentages.
Check battery connections and/or clean them.
Test battery and alternator.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mifesto
well heres my version of winter prep, it sleeps in the garage and u take out ur beater and mess around in the snow haha
i totally agree with this guy
but seriously, all season tires are money, and you wont have any problems
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Umm everyone, this guy is from central Cali, where it doesnt snow. I bet he is just making trips to Tahoe, so he doesnt necessarily have to winter prep it like some of you that live in Snowy/cold climate.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Did 5w/30 and have Blizzaks ready. Hate Colorado =/
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:38 PM

I check the air in the tires, take it to a garage, disconnect the battery, put a cover on it, and wait 4-5 months.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:41 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For your needs (driving from central cali to tahoe), just get a set of beater rims (or pick up used VIII or IX wheels) and put snow tires on them. Whenever you're going to drive up to Tahoe, just put these wheels on. You can swap out all 4 tires in 20 minutes and be on your way. Then swap back to summer tires when you're home.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
For your needs (driving from central cali to tahoe), just get a set of beater rims (or pick up used VIII or IX wheels) and put snow tires on them. Whenever you're going to drive up to Tahoe, just put these wheels on. You can swap out all 4 tires in 20 minutes and be on your way. Then swap back to summer tires when you're home.
+1

Someone finally reads the whole thread.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
That's exactly what I was thinkin of doin..the paint touch up idea is a really good idea too I would have never thought of that
Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:27 PM

Actually, the fact that you're not dealing with snow and cold on a regular basis is even more reason to worry about winter prep.

Snow tires would be nice because you'd most likely not be experienced driving in snow/ice (or at least out of practice). You also might not be aware of how much traction the stock Advans lose when it gets below freezing.

If your coming from a warm area you will see a greater drop in tire pressure due to the temperatures. Overfill a touch or check them once you reach colder areas.

Your electrical system might not be up to snuff since you aren't running with heater/defroster/headlights/wipers in sub freezing weather. Takes a lot more current to start the car when it is cold out. A mini-battery that works fine in warm weather might be borderline if you see real cold. Will the car be parked outside overnight?

Your coolant might not be set for colder temps -- especially if you or the previous owner cut down the coolant concentration or maybe just used water and water wetter.

Definitely check to make sure your windshield wiper fluid is mixed for cold weather. Some places water it down in warm weather either to save costs or because it then does a better job of cleaning bugs. Had a friend who ran into that problem and his fluid froze SOLID when we got into the single digits!

Good coat of wax since you'll be getting sprayed by salt/sand from other cars.

It's like safe sex, whether you're doing it once a year or every day you still need the same preparation!
Old Oct 29, 2007, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

tires are really important I run
hakkapeliitta rsi nokian 235/45/R17's

a good de-icer
good wipers
oh and some good de-icer mix in your intercooler sprayer bottle don't ask.
tire pressure
good coolant mix
wax and all weather mats help
and make sure battery is real good
Old Oct 29, 2007, 06:11 PM

Oh yeah, a good icescraper.

Quick Reply: winter evo prep...