Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

tsk tsk, I didnt get the wheel-lock key...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tsk tsk, I didnt get the wheel-lock key...HELP!!!

I recently imported a Pearl White 2006 JDM IX MR, lovely car, however I have a small issue which I hope you "Evo Guru's " can assist me.
My problem is I didnt get the wheel-lock key so I'm stucked literally with the wheels on the car. Whats the best and most practical method of removing the locks without damaging anything? My friend told that these keys are generic which I highly disbelief as the word "key" suggests unique. I went ahead and took some pix of the actual wheel and shots of my car.

Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

There are 10 keys for my type of rim lock, you can get them at your local dealership, I just picked one up last week.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:25 AM
Plat Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What the poster above me said. Your local dealer should have a Master Lock Set w/ all the keys in it. They can get the key number and order you a new key right up.

If this doesnt work for you, a lot of shops have a tool that can get those off w/out the key.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RussellM
What the poster above me said. Your local dealer should have a Master Lock Set w/ all the keys in it. They can get the key number and order you a new key right up.

If this doesnt work for you, a lot of shops have a tool that can get those off w/out the key.
thanks for the suggestions guys, one little problem though, the local dealer doesnt really sell these cars, they only facilitate "special orders" but I will check them and hear what they say...
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDM_MR
thanks for the suggestions guys, one little problem though, the local dealer doesnt really sell these cars, they only facilitate "special orders" but I will check them and hear what they say...
Like they said ANY mitsu. dealer should be equipped with the master set as the key locks they use for the Evos arent JUST for the Evos. If someone wanted a locking lug nuts for a Galant it would probably be the same key.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:51 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it looks like you can fit a socket in there. try the usual metric sizes first if it doesn't fit then try something that is a little tighter and hammer it in. usually it will freeze it to the socket for you to be able to take it off. if it doesn't work, you can use electric welding and weld a 21mm nut or bolt so you can loosen it. don't use a blow torch, arc welding as it will ruin the wheel.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

If you don't care about the wheel locks or just NEED them off in a hurry.... they do have the tool to break them off like osmeone said above. The shop needed to get my tires off and I left the wheel lock at home (hour and a half away... DOH) so they just busted through them and now I have reg lug nuts
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

They shouldn't be that tight.. Use a 1/2" drive socket that barely doesn't go over the lug... Hammer the socket on, sometimes just 1/4" is all you need to grab it... Impact gun will remove it no problem... I had to do this to my RA when I got a flat and couldn't find the key... 12 point sockets work best, they "bite" more of the lug...