Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tow Hitch on my 06 MR SE

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow Hitch on my 06 MR SE

So I have been thinking about putting a tow hitch on my evo.

I had some time over the weekend so I did it. Tow hitch is hidden behind rear plate, cannot be seen once plate is reinstalled.

What i did is i completely removed the OEM bumper reinforcement and made my own. The tow hitch feels strong and puls the bike trailer with an 07 R1 no problem.
Tell me what you think.

If any one needs some help on making your own, feel free to P.m me.
Attached Thumbnails Tow Hitch on my 06 MR SE-dsc00001.jpg   Tow Hitch on my 06 MR SE-dsc00002.jpg   Tow Hitch on my 06 MR SE-dsc00003.jpg   Tow Hitch on my 06 MR SE-dsc00004.jpg  

Last edited by sewsmr; Jan 22, 2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

have you been pulled over yet for not displaying the license plate?

Why remove the OEM bumper beam? there are trailer hitch kits that use the OEM beam.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

sweet i've been wanting to put a hitch on my evo for a while now. Do you have any Idea of the weight limitations it has as far as max tounge weight and max trailer weight.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Nice DIY, but just letting you know that you don't have an "07 Evo" as reflected in your avatar. There is no such thing as an 07 USDM Evo IX
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by chrisw

Why remove the OEM bumper beam? there are trailer hitch kits that use the OEM beam.
To answer your question: no there are no aftermarket kits. They dont even make trailer hitches.

Your OEM needs to be removed in order to hide the trailer hitch assembly behind the plate. THe new hitch braket replaces OEM reinforcement. Its stronger anyway.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by chrisw

I do put my rear plate in rear window, my front plate is not even installed. And no i never got pulled over.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by XK120
Nice DIY, but just letting you know that you don't have an "07 Evo" as reflected in your avatar. There is no such thing as an 07 USDM Evo IX
Thanks for correction my mistake.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by fenriq007
sweet i've been wanting to put a hitch on my evo for a while now. Do you have any Idea of the weight limitations it has as far as max tounge weight and max trailer weight.
Ok its actually not that hard to do.

As far as weight goes. Heep your tongue weight under 200lbs.
and dont pull more than 800 lbs

I will give you my weights.

07 R1 496 lbs
trailer 189 lbs

P.s When loading the bike keep it so that most of the weights rests evenly over the trailer axle. That will keep your tongue weight low.

Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i want an 07 yellow evo IX
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Did you reinforce the mounting area were the crash beam was? Its flimsy to begin with plus all the bolts are "inline" with each other so you can rock the beam up and down. With that being said, I would put as little or no tongue weight as possible. At least the chain to the tow hook looks safe. I'm not bashing your install bro, it looks nice and clean but a little scary even at 600lbs.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

I think its awesome. Now go drag some duelly's around a parking lot!! Looks clean man.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:02 PM

dope fasho
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Skywarp
Did you reinforce the mounting area were the crash beam was? Its flimsy to begin with plus all the bolts are "inline" with each other so you can rock the beam up and down. With that being said, I would put as little or no tongue weight as possible. At least the chain to the tow hook looks safe. I'm not bashing your install bro, it looks nice and clean but a little scary even at 600lbs.
Ok let me explain what i did. Yes when I took the bumper cover off i noticed that you can take the crash bar and wiggle it with on hand. I am fully aware of this, how ever i came with a solution for that problem.
Here is what I did

I took the bumer reinforcement off. I made two rectangular brackets, same as on the OEM crash bar. Then I drillef holes in them exactly as in the OEM crash bar.
Then Bolted them up. I bought a tow hich off ebay for $80. I think it was for a chrysler minivan. Its class 1 rated. I cut off all of the original brackets that were welded to it.

Then I cut the ends off to desired lenght.

Then tack welded it in to the tw backets that i made about an .5" under where the bolts go in.

Then I took it off. Welded the brackets to the hitch.

I made brackets that were one 6inhes long (for the left frame rail and 8" for the right frame rail.

Then I welded those two rail brackets to the flat brackets that the tow hich is welded to.
(simply to describe is that the two rail brakets go inside frame rails and they reinforce the frame rails.

Then if you look under the car. you will see .5 inch holes in the frame rails. I marked the areas where those holes are at.

Took off the tow hitch
Drilled the two holes and welded nuts on the other side of that. So when tow hich is reinstalled you have 6 bolts bolting the hitch to the cat.
4 screws where the OEM reinforcement bolted to, and the 2 big one on the bottom of the frame rails.

Then I welded a square turbing going down towards the hook on the bottom of the car. And I used an exhaust clamp to secure it there.

Now when you grab the tow hich or even when i stand on it all you see the car going udown or up. There is completely no flex.

Reinstall the bumper Hook up your lights, and you are good to go.

P.S with out the two brackets going to frame rails i wouldnt pull my R1 with that, that sheet metal is weak as hell and looks like you can ripp it off with your hands

I hope this helps....
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

i like it not you can tow a broke suby
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by gixxerman11
i like it not you can tow a broke suby
hehe

Yeah, I think towing an R1 behind an evo is pushing it, but summer is comming and got to get that r1 to the track somehow.

Quick Reply: Tow Hitch on my 06 MR SE