Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Scams

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Scams

I just wanted to let everyone know there are a few people among us who are trying to scam members. I have been contacted several times by different members who claim they live overseas, places like Venezuela or El Salvador to be very specific. They claim to have friends in the shipping business near my location. When I replied requesting funds in check or money order they said that was too difficult. I also offered to drop off in person, but that wasn't acceptable either. Definitely shady sheet going on. Too bad I didn't fall for it and I'm hoping others here don't either. Just a heads up guys, they are lurking trying to screw anyone they can.

Here's what their replies look like:

"It's in Miami. That's the address of a company that handles my shipments"

and the other which was a completely different person,

"just want to know the payment method and my friend owns a shippin company back in florida so I think shipin should be easy. let me know if you still have them 4 wheels ,thank you."

PEOPLE!!! DO NOT FALL FOR ANY KIND OF THIRD PERSON SHIPPING SCAMS!!!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to know.Sounds like a lot of the typical scams you find on ebay and the recycler.I used to try and sell parts in the recycler and I would constantly get scammers trying to buy my stuff and say things like their buyer is overseas and they will send me a check which was way more than I was asking for the item.They would than say that when their "agent" came to pick up the item to give them the balance of the check they gave me.It never fails to amaze me how people are always trying to screw others over to make a quick buck.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I am to skeptical of the Nigeria ****.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

^No kidding!I used to get a lot of those damn e-mails from Nigeria saying that I had a rich family member in Nigeria who died and had all this money that needs to be given to the closest next of kin.Than they ask for your bank info.Last I checked my mom is japanese and my dad is Irish.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

^ Maybe it was your brother from another mother. ha ha J/K.

To the OP thanks for the heads up.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

the best were the ones where people would send you fake mail saying you won a lot of money, set up a fake phone line, spoke to you and said you just have to pay the taxes before you get the check and people would write a check for the taxable amount and never get the prize money :P

Or the "call the grandparents one" where a woman posing as a grandchild using the same name would call a grandparent and say "Grandpa this is Amy in in college I've had an emergancy you cant tell my parents I need some money please send it to my bank account" and they send it thinking its legit. < --- that one worked real good for a lot of people
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:08 PM
Admin Alumni

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
I just wanted to let everyone know there are a few people among us who are trying to scam members. I have been contacted several times by different members who claim they live overseas, places like Venezuela or El Salvador to be very specific. They claim to have friends in the shipping business near my location. When I replied requesting funds in check or money order they said that was too difficult. I also offered to drop off in person, but that wasn't acceptable either. Definitely shady sheet going on. Too bad I didn't fall for it and I'm hoping others here don't either. Just a heads up guys, they are lurking trying to screw anyone they can.

Here's what their replies look like:

"It's in Miami. That's the address of a company that handles my shipments"

and the other which was a completely different person,

"just want to know the payment method and my friend owns a shippin company back in florida so I think shipin should be easy. let me know if you still have them 4 wheels ,thank you."

PEOPLE!!! DO NOT FALL FOR ANY KIND OF THIRD PERSON SHIPPING SCAMS!!!
It's nice of you to try to warn our members, but have you contacted a Moderator about this? Perhaps if you give us specifics like who the member is and more info we can post this in the Site Announcements section so everybody can be aware and we can perhaps ban them before a scam actually takes place. Let me know via PM, I'll keep everybody updated. Until then, this is closed as it's already gone off topic////

J.D.