Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sudden Voltage Drop

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2008, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden Voltage Drop

I first noticed the problem about a week ago. I would be driving normal and my after market Pioneer deck would cut-out for a split second, only happened maybe once every 100 miles. Then it got worse, when I turned my headlights on the whole power system seemed to cut-out dropping my volts to 12ish(opposed to 14.4 normal) causing my engine to stall, all within a split second, then back up to 14.4 volts. This doesn't happen every time I turn the lights on, just here and there. I took the car to Mitsubishi service, they did a complete check on the charging system and the Alternator and everything checks out, they tell me it's my mini battery, the Odyssey PC680 not having enough power to properly power the car. I just placed an order for the Braille Auto B2015, since my PC680 is 2 years old and they are on backorder until June. Hopefully it's just a weird battery problem...

Any Ideas??
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:06 PM

I have had the same problem at times in my car. I have checked the battery (stock battery) voltage and there is no problem there. It has never caused the car to stall though. I don't have any extra accesories in my car to cause any extra draw either.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

There is another thread going around about weird electrical issues. You might want to check this out.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=323902

Its a common problem for Evos, but it doesn't seem too hard to fix it, if you are good at soldering wires.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by EVOSE06
Its a common problem for Evos, but it doesn't seem too hard to fix it, if you are good at soldering wires.

Thanks. I checked all the connections mentioned, all of them are perfect and corrosion free...
Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem with my car from 14v it went down to 12 and in a sec came back to 14...... and yesterday it stop charging the battery. so the alternator was triyng to say goodbye till it die last night... rip my dear friend.. so i need to change it tommorow.. any idea on how to do it/?