Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: which carbon hood/trunk do you preffer
ultra light weight. stock fitment, a skin with minimal underside structure
78.64%
weight less a concern as appearance. high glossy finish, structurally rigid
11.65%
there are already to many carbon hoods and trunks available, don't waste your time
9.71%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

ultra light carbon trunk + hood, opinions

Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mexellent View Post
The trunk can be made strong enough to mount a rear wing. However, it would be helpful if the wing had stock mounting points. Remember, the less custom the part is, the easier and faster it is to make.
Yeah, stock mounting is cool, most wings are designed for that and any that aren't would need customization even on a stock trunk, so that shouldn't be a big deal for anyone.

Edit: I think you should see if people want the stock key and wing holes punched out. I personally would rather the trunk be smooth so I can make my own holes where I need them.

Last edited by jbrown; Jun 30, 2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

I've had both a CF hood and trunk for a while now (OEM shape for weight savings). I like the hood and love my hood pins - consider selling them with Aerocatches pre-installed, I think that might be a good selling point.

I don't like my trunk, it is very light but flexes too much. At high speed (100+) it will give enough to change the angle of attack of the rear wing so much it might as well be producing lift . When it's freshly waxed (not that often admittedly) you can also see where the skin sags very slightly in the sections where there's no support underneath.

Have you considered using carbon foam or aluminum honeycomb for the understructure? It would make a seriously stiff structure for very little weight. There are CF pieces for other cars using these technologies, but none for the Evo that I know of.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:00 AM

Alright guys. Just wanted to show you guys some pics to let you know we are making progress.

Richie finished the mold yesterday so we finally got to see the tool for the first time today! Here are the results:

The hood as it sits in the tool before we remove it.

Finally got the stock hood out! It needs to be finished still but as you can see, the areas we pulled from the hood look excellent!

We'll be sure to keep you guys updated. We should have a skin for Mark Berry by next week.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

WOW! Very nice!

Just FYI for everyone... I worked on the race team pictured in post #1 for 7 years while I was at school, and I assure you this is some of the best carbon work you will find out there! Aero space grade prepreg carbonfiber, the works!

NICE WORK SO FAR!!!
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn Kevin! You have come a long way from the 944 in Michigan...lol Hope all is well!
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Just found this post and I have to say that hood mold looks nice. I'd definitely be interested in a light as possible hood and/or trunk with a natural (dull) carbon fiber finish: function>form! +1 on making the trunk able to mount the stock wing also.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Wow that looks GREAT! Will you guys be able to price the hood less than Seibon or other JDM hoods? I would also prefer the hood in it's natural color with maybe a clear bra on it.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

So when this is done how much will you think you would be selling for. I know if its going to be cheaper then everyone else you will sell like hot cakes. Please pm price when you get a chance.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

YA..... guesstimated price would be nice since i have an insurance claim going thruogh right now!

p.s..... i have a buddy that has a CF ultra light weight hood and from the bottom you can see through it. if you can, avoid this! it makes his hood look cheap and flimsy when he has it open!

Last edited by mini_evo; Jul 8, 2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 08:41 PM

ok guys.

Seibon is making almost the same hoods we are, except ours are going to be stock-style.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...rue+dry+carbon

Unfortunately, we will not be able to sell a bolt on hood for $900. There is too much labor for it to be feasible. However, we are trying our hardest to be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the Seibon true dry carbon hood, while maintaining the same weight.

An EXTREMELY ROUGH ESTIMATE puts us at about $1500. We cannot compete in volume. But where we can shine is in quality. Our parts will be made using aerospace-grade materials. The prepreg manufacturer we use is the same manufacturer that mercedes mclaren uses for their F1 chassis! We arent messing around with cheap stuff here guys!

Anyway, here is another mold shot!

Mold after trimming getting ready for a post cure.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

I'll take one with some custom painting done to it .
Old Jul 8, 2008, 08:49 PM

oops....

Last edited by mexellent; Jul 8, 2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: I cant has use internets buttons?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

I stand by my last comment .
Old Jul 8, 2008, 08:58 PM

Subscribed, looking forward to the results as I am very interested in this piece.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 07:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVOlunchbox View Post
Damn Kevin! You have come a long way from the 944 in Michigan...lol Hope all is well!
yeah, the evo thing has really taken off i still remember seeing your evo when we went to the drag strip ohhhh, about 4-5 years ago. it inspired me to get one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ultra light carbon trunk + hood, opinions

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.