Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: which carbon hood/trunk do you preffer
ultra light weight. stock fitment, a skin with minimal underside structure
78.64%
weight less a concern as appearance. high glossy finish, structurally rigid
11.65%
there are already to many carbon hoods and trunks available, don't waste your time
9.71%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

ultra light carbon trunk + hood, opinions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ultra light carbon trunk + hood, opinions

we are looking at making some carbon body work for the evo 8+9 right now, and wanted to get an idea of what people would consider.

since most hoods i have seen are heavier then the stock hood, i told Alejandro (the composite guy) that we wanted the lightest hood possible. great fitment is a must too. i just feel the "cool" hood market, the hoods with all the scoops, vents and mesh are just way to "cheap", flimsy and have lousy fitment.

anyway, the hood we already have a stock hood for making the mold. it will be made with prepreg carbon and baked in an autoclave. alejandro is making one for mark Berrys X-mod autocross car as a prototype. it will be followed by a ultralight trunk as well.

here are some examples of the work alejandro can do:
the wings, sidepods, undertray, rims, steering wheel, and nose (not pictured) are all carbon done the same way we will be doing the hood and trunk for the evo (except the race car doesn't have any paint or clearcoat on any of the carbon stuff, which we can do for the evo)

also, if people could give me a good estimate of what you would pay for a ultra light trunk/hood that will help too. robispec trunks are the lightest i have seen, but are also very pricey 900 dollars i believe....

thanks!

Last edited by KevinD; Jun 20, 2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

definitely light and great looks. at the last autox i went to the guy was like, yeah i think your carbon fiber hood puts you in street mod class. I then answered back saying thats stupid because it actually weighs a pound more than stock and he said it didn't matter. so +1 for me wanting a carbon fiber hood that weighs less.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:13 AM

I would love to see a stock looking hood in a Lighter carbon fiber
Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
As light as possible while still being sturdy enough for the track/DD, and low enough flex that it will not crack off paint, and with good enough fitment that it is basically ready to be painted and installed, and not too crazy with the vents so that it looks rice though a little functional venting is okay. Basically, a light weight sleeper hood

But, for the typical buyer I would think that looks and price are the key
Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

/\/\/\/\ i agree i would like a better cf hood than mine and a keyless trunk.

STevo
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Definitely a stock type hood and trunk that are as light as possible and not painted or clearcoated for best pricing.

The reasoning behind my statement is that the bling segment of the market is taken(bling rich kids always stay loyal to specific namebrand) as well as the nice looking light but super expensive(robispec).

The grasroot/track junky/motorsport section of the market is the only segment that requires a vendor to step in and fill the void.
I believe that if you offer a very light unexpensive wood and especially trunk you'll get the business of all the serious racers that could careless about finish but worry about weight and are on a realistic racing budget. I know for sure I'll buy from you like many others.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:36 PM
Former Sponsor

^ thats exactly what we were thinking. make it as light as possible and let the end user determine the finish. the carbon finish is pretty good with just the resin, but clear coating does make it shine. additionally some may preffer to have it painted.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 07:15 PM

It has begun.

Alright guys. We have taken all your opinions into account and have begun the production of the ultra light Evo 8/9 hood with stock mounting.

Mark Berry provided us with an EXCELLENT hood to start from.

Richie applying the face of the tool to Marks BEAUTIFUL hood. Dont worry, its not as bad as it looks.

Now the layup may begin!

The first layers of fabric for the tooling.

A sample of the finish you can expect from our parts. Its not deep like the stuff you usually see because prepreg carbon has an almost IDEAL amount of resin in it. That means that the fibers are going to be much closer to the surface. The end result will be an almost matte finish. The awesome part about it is its WAY lighter than a traditional Seibon wet-lay up hood.

Once we finish Marks prototype part, we will be able to guage how much a completely bolt on part will cost.

Please give us your opinions so we can build a part that the evo community wants!

Last edited by mexellent; Jun 29, 2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't wait to see the results...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
weird, I was just sitting here wondering why there were almost no ultra lightweight CF hoods on the market for these cars, and then I saw this thread... make 'em as light as possible!

oem style.

Last edited by nirvancol; Jun 30, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

The trunk will be strong enough to support a functional rear wing, right?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

ya why would i ever buy a cf hood if my strock alum one is lighter, lets get some weight numbers guys! comparisons would rock, especially b/w brands and vs stock
Old Jun 30, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sign me up ! Prepreg, Autoclave ?!?! What !? How many layers? What weave ? 2x2? How many lbs?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by jbrown
The trunk will be strong enough to support a functional rear wing, right?
The trunk can be made strong enough to mount a rear wing. However, it would be helpful if the wing had stock mounting points. Remember, the less custom the part is, the easier and faster it is to make.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Sign me up ! Prepreg, Autoclave ?!?! What !? How many layers? What weave ? 2x2? How many lbs?
Prepreg, yes.
Autoclave, no. It will be cured in an oven under vacuum. (same as autoclave at 15 psi w/ vented bag, no?)
6 layers.
Plain Weave.

Quick Reply: ultra light carbon trunk + hood, opinions