Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: which carbon hood/trunk do you preffer
ultra light weight. stock fitment, a skin with minimal underside structure
78.64%
weight less a concern as appearance. high glossy finish, structurally rigid
11.65%
there are already to many carbon hoods and trunks available, don't waste your time
9.71%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

ultra light carbon trunk + hood, opinions

Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mold looks great Alex - can't wait to mount the hood on the car. It will be the jewel on the lightweight quest to reach the Evo's diet goal of hitting 2400lbs.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant wait for the end results...let us know how it goes!
Old Jul 16, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

that price seems high I thought robispec hoods were way under a thousand? I'm probably wrong but I thought 600
Old Jul 16, 2008, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD

Those look like some of the UTA cars, no? Dr. Bob is the man!

My CF splitter and wing were done by a former member of the SVSU FSAE team. Keep the updates coming!
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Those look like some of the UTA cars, no? Dr. Bob is the man!

My CF splitter and wing were done by a former member of the SVSU FSAE team. Keep the updates coming!
you don't know dr. bob like i do lets just say we don't exactly agree on anything related to cars... and yes, they are the UTA cars and we talked with the SVSU guys for a while a couple years back last time i was in detroit.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by john.schuber
that price seems high I thought robispec hoods were way under a thousand? I'm probably wrong but I thought 600
yeah, i believe your wrong. from a quick search here, his trunk is 750. the hood is 850 and 100 more for the hood latch/pin things, not including shipping
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
you don't know dr. bob like i do lets just say we don't exactly agree on anything related to cars... and yes, they are the UTA cars and we talked with the SVSU guys for a while a couple years back last time i was in detroit.
I don't actually know him. I just know he and the UTA guys have kicked butt at Topeka the past 2 years I was there. The aero packages are top-notch . . . I especially like the compact design on the car in the background of the pic. Was that the '07 car?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

the car in the background is 05. the compact aero design is very inefficient. the low rear wing doesn't get clean air, the middle endplates hurt overall downforce, and the tiny front wing made very little downforce. most of the downforce made by those cars was from the undertray. the 06 car pictured had much bigger wings, more surface area, higher up rear wing, and a way more efficient front wing. but thats because it didn't have the silly "aero in the bell crank" design. 07 had a better design then the 04/05 "aero in the bellcrank" design, but it was still "aero in the swaybar" which i still think is silly. 07 is quite a bit better then 05 though. but 06 still rules all!!! (alejando would agree huh alejandro)
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:09 AM

Below are a couple of pics we did for the SVSU FSAE Team a couple years ago. Needless to say we tested the aero on the FSAE car around a mid speed auto X track (15 - 30 mph corners) and proved an 11% decrees in lap times with the aero. But some of the "Team Leaders" still were not convinced that aero is worth it in FSAE. Anyways it was a great experience and proved that yes aero will make you faster - even in FSAE!

Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

QUOTE=KevinD;5899013]the car in the background is 05. the compact aero design is very inefficient. the low rear wing doesn't get clean air, the middle endplates hurt overall downforce, and the tiny front wing made very little downforce. most of the downforce made by those cars was from the undertray. the 06 car pictured had much bigger wings, more surface area, higher up rear wing, and a way more efficient front wing. but thats because it didn't have the silly "aero in the bell crank" design. 07 had a better design then the 04/05 "aero in the bellcrank" design, but it was still "aero in the swaybar" which i still think is silly. 07 is quite a bit better then 05 though. but 06 still rules all!!! (alejando would agree huh alejandro)[/QUOTE]

Since we are on the FSAE subject..... I have to put my two cents in.......
'06 has a special place in my heart for sure, but the winged beast that is 2003 is by far the best aero package uta has ever done!

Last edited by denver; Jul 17, 2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by denver
Since we are on the FSAE subject..... I have to put my two cents in.......
'06 has a special place in my heart for sure, but the winged beast that is 2003 is by far the best aero package uta has ever done!
until someone decided that 03 works better as a plow then a race car...
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

The only reason 06 still has wings is because that certain someone (Not me) has never driven 06, after Nationals this year, 06 will also be a broken cone plow :-)

Regardless, the hood is going to be awesome!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:46 PM

Alright guys!!!

Enough about FSAE. Lets talk about carbon hoods.

I am laying up Marks hood as we speak! Right now, it is debulking and I am taking this chance to upload some pictures.

Ho ya! Pre-preg baby.

The second layer. Notice the bumpiness. That is the carbon not laying down quite right. The tool has been released so that carbon doesnt stick to it. However, there is a solution....

Suck REEALLY HARD!! heheheheheh...

Ok, better get back to work. Im going solo on this one because Richies wife just had surgery and he was unable to help out.

Oh yah, and UTA F08 is the ultimate FSAE car. Hands down.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:18 PM
Former Sponsor

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!! '

mark said you put it on his car and it is "spectacular". and the lightest hood ever made for an evo to boot
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll let Alex post the pictures and give numbers, but this is by far the lightest Evo hood available, bar none, built with Aerospace quality process/material.

We laid it in place last night to snap a few pictures and will be installing it this morning with Dzus fasteners. When I tap on it, it sounds more like metal than carbon. We found ourselves having to be careful if a breeze came through the shop, because the hood could blow off the car! It's that light and I do not exagerate.

Look forward to the pictures.

Mark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ultra light carbon trunk + hood, opinions