Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Head to Head H2H Ep10, EVO IX RS Vs. EVO X

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only reason the X is slower is because the engine is so tuned badly from the factory. This is obvious from the 50-90 hp gains from engine management software alone (ecutek, z-chip). An extra 20hp to the stock tune would have made a world of difference in the performance numbers when comparing a stock IX to a stock X. Any advantage the IX has in power is lost the second you start tuning.

And let's face it, the track results from the X are phenomenal. You can do 12's with basic bolt-ons, can do 10's in the 1/4 mile with the stock internals, and people are breaking road course records already. And its been out 6 months.

And realistically, in terms of weight, even the IX is still a pig when compared to the previous gens. If weight were the end-all, then the lotus would dominate the gt-r.

Let's face it, the extra hp in the X doesn't quite offset the extra weight it gained. But it's pretty damn close and its more than made up for once you start tuning.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by qubit
The only reason the X is slower is because the engine is so tuned badly from the factory. This is obvious from the 50-90 hp gains from engine management software alone (ecutek, z-chip). An extra 20hp to the stock tune would have made a world of difference in the performance numbers when comparing a stock IX to a stock X. Any advantage the IX has in power is lost the second you start tuning.

And let's face it, the track results from the X are phenomenal. You can do 12's with basic bolt-ons, can do 10's in the 1/4 mile with the stock internals, and people are breaking road course records already. And its been out 6 months.

And realistically, in terms of weight, even the IX is still a pig when compared to the previous gens. If weight were the end-all, then the lotus would dominate the gt-r.

Let's face it, the extra hp in the X doesn't quite offset the extra weight it gained. But it's pretty damn close and its more than made up for once you start tuning.
I get what you're trying to say, but it's wrong. The "bad tune" from the factory isn't what makes it slow (considering how, despite the restrained potential, its output is 5 hp and 11 lb.-ft more than before), it's the weight of the car first and foremost.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I love all EVOs. I'm not a fan of the look of the 10 but I hope that thing becomes a track beast.

I have yet to see it break any road course records. Modded to modded I don't think the 10 is gonna be leaps and bounds better than any other.

Its already a better daily driver but thats not what most of us are looking for. Only time will tell what the best car will be.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
I get what you're trying to say, but it's wrong. The "bad tune" from the factory isn't what makes it slow (considering how, despite the restrained potential, its output is 5 hp and 11 lb.-ft more than before), it's the weight of the car first and foremost.
well , sorry i have to say this but the tune on the car is almost everything.
Bone stock X with tune only no boost controller etc, bone stock
make on dynojet approx. 310 whp. wich is easy 340 crank hp, and you are way in the safe zone still/10 air fual ratio all the way/....
How does it sounds for you, when we tell you the factory tune is super rich it is actually hurt a car?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shocky
the Evo X guys are not gonna be happy about this...
actually i'm, since we know how the badly run the car out from factory + added weights/ easy rome stuff /and still can keep up.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aren't the tunes for these cars quite expensive vs. the IX's as well? With those couple hundred extra bucks that it cost you could add another mod and still be ahead of the X... even if you have a IX and a X and get them both properly tuned the IX may still come out ahead.. I don't have any data to back that up, but i'm sure it wouldn't be to far off.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
well , sorry i have to say this but the tune on the car is almost everything.
Bone stock X with tune only no boost controller etc, bone stock
make on dynojet approx. 310 whp. wich is easy 340 crank hp, and you are way in the safe zone still/10 air fual ratio all the way/....
How does it sounds for you, when we tell you the factory tune is super rich it is actually hurt a car?
That's beside the point and wasn't what was being discussed. Damn near any completely stock car (especially performance vehicles) can get tuned and unleash a decent amount of power as a result. The VIII and IX were no exceptions to this, so factory Evos running rich from the factory is nothing new.

The point was that the guy I had quoted was blaming the X's slower acceleration times (compared to the U.S.-spec CT9As) on the engine. While a better tune definitely would've yielded more power (which is pretty obvious and applies to so many cars as I already pointed out, though the 4B11 is already rated higher in factory trim than the outgoing 4G63), the main factor was the weight, which that poster virtually disregarded.

I'll put it into perspective. Today's GT-R has 480 hp (factory rating) and weighs around 3800 pounds. If the next GT-R has 500 hp but weighs 4500 pounds and struggles to do better than 4.0 seconds to 60 mph, would you blame the slower acceleration on it not having enough power? No, it's the huge weight gain.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to see a Evo 6 TME vs the X... Thats still arguably the best evo ever!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VividRacing.com
I want to see a Evo 6 TME vs the X... Thats still arguably the best evo ever!
I'd like to see them all vs. each other... they are all Evo's either way and we all love the car
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I'd like to see them all vs. each other... they are all Evo's either way and we all love the car
Yeah, that would be cool. Still, one of the best tests was when Motor Trend did a legit comparison between the VIII, RS and MR. It would've been neat to have seen a similar comparison for the IX, RS, MR, SSL, SE and MR SE (though the last one could be excluded since it's nearly identical to the MR in every way).
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Yeah, that would be cool. Still, one of the best tests was when Motor Trend did a legit comparison between the VIII, RS and MR. It would've been neat to have seen a similar comparison for the IX, RS, MR, SSL, SE and MR SE (though the last one could be excluded since it's nearly identical to the MR in every way).
as long as the tests are fair... I get the feeling sometimes that the drivers don't put as much into certain cars as others.. we all have some bias... maybe once a mitsubishi dealer screwed a guy over and so he didn't put quite all the power down that he could have.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Couldn't the same be said about IX? Give better tune to IX to add 20hp easily?

Each gen of Evos are only slightly heavier than the prev while Mitsu adds more hp
and technologies. X got 300lbs while getting just 2hp gain.

Given X's small 2hp gain, the only reason X kept up with IX is the amazing AYC
in the S-AWC.. add AYC to IX then the result might just be different (JDM IX outran
X in those BestMotoring videos). Sometimes I wonder why Mitsu held off the
AYC in USDM VIII and IX... maybe for a good reason.

So imho, X is pretty good now.. it should be amazing with a 300lb diet.
How about that X RS, Mitsu?
Who needs power anything when you're chasing down that 911...
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

12's with basic bolt ons? Ooooh, thats special. NOT. I was running CONSISTANT 12.8's (there is a thread in the drag racing section with my time slips to) while my MR was TOTALLY 100% stock w/ street tires and sh!tty 60' times. So that is irrelevent. Sorry, had to point that out because it pissed me off.

Next, I don't care what you say or do, the X was a step in the wrong direction for the Evo. It looks fat, it is fat, its like mitsu tried to build the car to attract mid life crisis guys. screw that. I'm keeping my IX. And I'll laugh when a X trys to take me only to be disapointed like the STi's, honduhs and whatever else gets a good view of my tail lights on a daily basis.

Lets hope and pray mitsu takes a better approach with the XI otherwise when I buy my second Evo it's going to be another IX.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:59 PM

evo 9 FTW
Old Aug 8, 2008, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

no other factory evo gained before that much hp with only tune. Not even close.
that is not beacuse the X is "better" , just a simply fact , the Mitsubishi over riched the tune, beyond quality running.

Side note:
the TME comes out with aprox 330 bhp. So its and upgraded VI already and that is why it got the hype. Think like the AMG.

So the fair comparision would be the VI vs X same model and trim level.
Or the TME vs the X FQ330 if its exist . But i think they have a FQ 320-340-360.

Quick Reply: Head to Head H2H Ep10, EVO IX RS Vs. EVO X