Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

An Inconvenient Truth… About JDM - aka "The Death of Innovation"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VincentX
^^The reason why Porsche owners don't buy knockoffs is because they are rich. That was a bad example.

+1

so how do the seibon hoods perfom compared to the voltex hoods? has anybody done any research on this? some people just cant afford to spend top dollar on every part, thats why seibon hoods sell.

Have you ever wondered how much it costs voltex to make one hood? not counting R&D etc just materials and labor. Take that and compare it to how much seibon spends to make one hood. This is if people can find a cheaper way they will. and the last time I checked seibon hoods are still selling............

Seibon Hood- $640.00
Voltex Hood- $1319.99

You said voltex stop making the hoods because people were buying the knock off. Were they buying the knock off thinking that it was the voltex hood? If thats the case voltex should go after the seller and continue making their hoods. There will always be people that buy the seibon and some people will buy the Voltex.

Last edited by joehoo; Jul 30, 2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You get what you pay for... When you get a Voltex part you know its going to last a very long time and give you zero issues. With replica companies usually you'll run into fitment issue quite often and fading.

Cheers!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by timmiii
The Voltex hood is one of the most well designed hoods I've seen so far on the market. It has enough vents that can extract a lot of heat within the engine bay and at the same time create a bit of downforce at least more than what an OEM styled hood can do. Now they're stopping production on this hood; people will be forced to buy the Seibon version and that just allows Seibon to take all the money.
Voltex has not completely stopped production on this hood. They still do make the FRP version which is still highly available. They stopped production on their CFRP for many reasons, the largest of which being that there are now copies engineered in the same fashion. However, the original intention for the design like all Voltex parts, are to be 100% functional. Since the FRP model is cheaper, has the same design, extracts the same amount of heat, holds the same amount of downforce, and cuts about 10-15 pounds off the factory hood, they found no reason to continue production on the carbon models.

In the end Voltex is always trying to find new ways where you can spot out the fakes. Back in 2006 they started to put VIN #'s on their parts. Now in 2008 they resorted to solely making all their GT hoods in FRP. The cycle will continue from there until the brand is completely ruined in the US.

Last edited by DrivelineSales; Jul 30, 2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

if a supposed brand is knocking a jdm brand and the quality is the same or damn near it, who wouldnt buy their product? i do understand what your saying but also not too many people especially Those who actually DRIVE their cars more then once a month and not only to car shows will not dish out 4 grand on some volks to get destroyed from road debris or potholes. same goes for other exterior parts as well. i myself and ill try to speak for those who also feel me would of course love to buy some bad *** jdm parts but for the price it seems very impractical, especially if your evo,sti supra or whatever is a daily no one wants to see their top of the line stuff get wrecked. on another note if the companies want us to stop buying knock off products they should then start lowering the prices. because as you said as well times are hard and us enthusiasts want our moneys worth. just my 2 cents
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

oh well
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
if a supposed brand is knocking a jdm brand and the quality is the same or damn near it, who wouldnt buy their product? i do understand what your saying but also not too many people especially Those who actually DRIVE their cars more then once a month and not only to car shows will not dish out 4 grand on some volks to get destroyed from road debris or potholes. same goes for other exterior parts as well. i myself and ill try to speak for those who also feel me would of course love to buy some bad *** jdm parts but for the price it seems very impractical, especially if your evo,sti supra or whatever is a daily no one wants to see their top of the line stuff get wrecked. on another note if the companies want us to stop buying knock off products they should then start lowering the prices. because as you said as well times are hard and us enthusiasts want our moneys worth. just my 2 cents

better than I put it!!!!!!!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Knock-off or not both hoods are ugly. If someone wants to pay *just* $600 to ugly-up their car...then let them.

I'm curious as to what noticeable benefit (besides a potential weigh savings) the Voltex hood claims to offer a street car.

If they are a true hardcore performance part..Then it was not designed for your average early 20's evo owner who only drives the car on the street...

Who do you think are buying the knocks-offs????

Last edited by Gabriel J; Jul 30, 2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DrivelineSales
In the end Voltex is always trying to find new ways where you can spot out the fakes. Back in 2006 they started to put VIN #'s on their parts. Now in 2008 they resorted to solely making all their GT hoods in FRP. The cycle will continue from there until the brand is completely ruined in the US.

ruined in the US? If they make a good product then they will always have a good name. Im not sure why you would say that.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gabriel J
Knock-off or not both hoods are ugly. If someone wants to pay *just* $600 to ugly-up their car...then let them.

I'm curious as to what noticeable benefit (besides a potential weigh savings) the Voltex hood claims to offer.

Did they prove with any testing that it provided substantially better cooling under heavy track use?

A wind tunnel test justifying it's design..did that mean it worked with a stock front bumper??? I'd like to see their wind tunnel testing documents...

If not...then who cares.

+1
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:39 PM

^don't know, but i know they definitely do wind tunnel testing which costs asinine amounts. i have gotten crap from others because i buy name brand parts such as the japanese parts. now, i will admit that i do abuse my car during track days and have not had any problems with the quality japanese parts that i have in my car. the r&d that went behind jdm parts is phenomenal. achieving a better track time with my car with jdm parts against built usdm cars is satisfying.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:57 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Its the way of the automotive aftermarket now. Look at most of the cars featured in popular magazines. Megan this, D2 coilovers that, Jun BL Exhaust this. Damn shame.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

I find it slightly ironic that a Japanese manufacturer of anything would complain about a product being replicated and sold at a cheaper price considering that was the blue print for Japan's post-war economy and subsequent rise as an economic giant.

Voltex's quality and originality drive sales and those who can afford it will continue to purchase their products.

Also, don't you guys sell Seibon?

Last edited by sem23tex; Jul 30, 2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by joehoo
ruined in the US? If they make a good product then they will always have a good name. Im not sure why you would say that.
Its a cycle you dont see very often, but it does happen. Top Fuel, the company itself completely left the US and is slowly downsizing in Japan. They were once huge in both the US and the Japanese market, but the same thing happened to them.

There are ways to help properly market your company away from problems such as these, but it all depends on the manufacturer and how they design, develop, price, and sell their products internationally. One company who I am particularly amazed with is Opak Racing/Spoon USA and Spoon Sports Japan. I can't count the amount of replicas they have, but from some reason they are still running strong. Actually it seems as of 2006 they are bigger than ever.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gabriel J

I'm curious as to what noticeable benefit (besides a potential weigh savings) the Voltex hood claims to offer a street car.

If they are a true hardcore performance part..Then it was not designed for your average early 20's evo owner who only drives the car on the street...

Who do you think are buying the knocks-offs????
Though I dont agree with you, your argument does present a good point. And honestly I have failed to fully document and explain the benefits of each product, and why Voltex had produced that part for the CT9A to begin with. Starting tomorrow I will have them send me their latest test sheets from Mie University (translated of course). This will help me show you guys that the money you are paying for these parts holds a good amount of functional value, and how it far surpasses the overstated answer of "its JDM".. There are many different products out there that can help improve your car, and we would like to show you why Voltex may be beneficial to you.

Last edited by DrivelineSales; Jul 30, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simple

If you want to win at car shows, you must go all JDM in order to win. Especially in CA.. We set the standards when it comes to how to set up a show quality Japanese sports cars. You drive a Japanese Sports Car, you stick w/ Japanese made parts. Same theory as you don't see Domestic guys rockin' Japanese car parts on their ride.

If you are an avid racers, you can slap on whatever works for you, and be done with. No one is going to give a rats *** about where you get those parts from.. as long as they will help you win, thats all it is. Because when you are racing, it gets expensive.. and **** do break.. so cheaper the better.

So now pick your poison

Quick Reply: An Inconvenient Truth… About JDM - aka "The Death of Innovation"