Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: what is better Evo 8/9 or a BMW 335i(2 door)
Evo 8/9
81.21%
BMW 335i (2door)
18.79%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

EVO 8/9 vs. BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do find some amusement when we (as EVO owners) talk about reliability like the EVO is a pillar of that (Transmissions/Transfer cases anyone). Motor is fine but we all know the weakest points of the car. The only reason why the EVO is given a pass in this area is because you can fix/replace/repair/proactively protect the weakest points of this (or more AWD cars) car for relatively cheap compared to other cars in the same performance class

i spent some time on the GTR forum ( I wanted one bad)....I can't believe the issues the owners are having with their transmissions and launch control. And they spent upwards of 70k for that.....And we think Mitsubishi is bad. LOL.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jun 13, 2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:52 AM
Evolving Member

This comparison isn't the best. I would never consider the 2 door 335i. I have a wife and kid and my car is my daily driver. I gave the 4 door 335i some real consideration. AT the time I did not think I would be modifying my car, and the lack of Limited Slip Differential was one of the key performance shortfalls that steered me to the evo. I think that both are great cars. The BMW leans more toward luxury, but still performs respectably. THe Evo is all out performance.
In my opinion the most important part of the interior is the seat. I spend all my time looking outside of the car, so the rest is not that important. I think the evo's seats are the most comfortable seats I have ever had.
Old May 18, 2010, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i got a split second turbo tuner for sale if anyone wants it, my mom sold her 335i yesterday and upgraded to my fathers new m3..and to the troll, wow you really sound insecure, must have a little ****** and is probably why you drive a porsche
Old May 18, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you guys are bumping a thread from a year ago. Just had to mention how funny it is that the OP mentioned his turbo timer as a mod while questioning if he could take on a 335i.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, to chime in late...EVO IX is faster in a straight line, or around a track stock vs stock. modded in a straight line, I don't know. as far as speed, the EVO IX's got the highest potential. 335i will win the comfort/looks battle all day long, but if you care about that stuff, you shouldn't be in an EVO in the first place. if you want to look good, 335i. you want to go fast, EVO IX.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:14 PM

335i can be a perfect DD, when EVO not necessarily. After 2hrs driving ANY EVO one can see the difference b/n EVO and BMW. However when I think about $/HP ratio EVO would be a second car after GTR.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

So after being a year has the person who started this thread made a descision yet?lol
Old May 18, 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ImJoey
you guys are bumping a thread from a year ago. Just had to mention how funny it is that the OP mentioned his turbo timer as a mod while questioning if he could take on a 335i.
well to the moron who brought up this old thread that was probably one of the worst rebuttals iv ever heard and to the guy above now that I look back thats a palm forehead moment but it was a copy and paste job from the signature

And yes I made the decision a long time ago. I like the BMW but Id rather have my evo besides his is modded and I smoked him by a good 9 cars with the same mods I have in my sig now. I also smoked a JB3 335 so Im good with the evo for now. It would be nice if someone would close this thread
Old May 18, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oliwer78
335i can be a perfect DD, when EVO not necessarily. After 2hrs driving ANY EVO one can see the difference b/n EVO and BMW. However when I think about $/HP ratio EVO would be a second car after GTR.
wow i wish people would stop bumping old school threads should recieve points for that. now on to this comment i guess you missed the fact that a gtr cost 109k and just a exhaust system is 6k and up not to mention the 25k tranny. $/hp RATIO does not go to the GTR for the average owner now if your making 6 fiqures or have money then maybe in your case.

Oh and i recently drove 6hrs to San An to JMS to drop off my evo for the massive build i loved the drive and people on the road could not get enough of me pointing and saying HI waving etc. The one time i stopped for gas i got into a 20 minute conversation with people about the evo and how they wanted one nice to be on the open road with the evo 8 turbo spooling just pushing it
Old May 19, 2010, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RockmanX
wow i wish people would stop bumping old school threads should recieve points for that. now on to this comment i guess you missed the fact that a gtr cost 109k and just a exhaust system is 6k and up not to mention the 25k tranny. $/hp RATIO does not go to the GTR for the average owner now if your making 6 fiqures or have money then maybe in your case.
why would anyone waste money on the gtr? its not a good looking car and the new m3 is a much nicer car inside and out. before anyone argues "oh no its not" im going to go ahead and tell you that i have rode in the gtr during an autox and it felt like a complete pig. the new m3 on the other hand is a different story. the m3 is a better track car and rides better than the gtr. the m3's interior is by far the nicest of ANY car ive been in, very soft seats and almost zero road noise with an amazing sounding engine. 10 times out of 10 i would take the m3, and guess what else? the m3 is cheaper to insure than the evo and you dont have to pay for the car to be serviced for 4 years/50,000 miles

Last edited by evo8426; May 19, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:10 AM

evo all the way
Old May 19, 2010, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Crazy responses
Old May 19, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
why would anyone waste money on the gtr? its not a good looking car and the new m3 is a much nicer car inside and out. before anyone argues "oh no its not" im going to go ahead and tell you that i have rode in the gtr during an autox and it felt like a complete pig. the new m3 on the other hand is a different story. the m3 is a better track car and rides better than the gtr. the m3's interior is by far the nicest of ANY car ive been in, very soft seats and almost zero road noise with an amazing sounding engine. 10 times out of 10 i would take the m3, and guess what else? the m3 is cheaper to insure than the evo and you dont have to pay for the car to be serviced for 4 years/50,000 miles
I've driven both and I'd take the GTR over the E9X M3. I'd be happy to own either but, I'd definitely take the GTR.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

I voted EVO. OBVIOUSLY you will get a biased opinion from an EVO website, but I know for a fact that a 335i with chip and exhaust vs Bolt on EVO IX at teh track, the EVO wins a lot of the listed categories. I have dragged against one, I have autocrossed against one, etc. I dont know what you consider practical, so I wont go there. As far as bang for your buck: I think you would see a lot more power with less money on an EVO compared to a 335i. In the end, it is really what YOU want. I would rock a 335i in a heartbeat. Just for the status quo of having a very good, dependable, and good looking car. (not to take anything away from the evo).
Old May 19, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

wow... i replied to almost a 18 month old thread LoL! FML.