Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2003, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both the EVO engines at the dealership (new) had surface rust on it - very aparent when you look at the block from the top after lifting the hood. I've not seen this before - is the block steel? has anyone else seen this? Does it matter?
Old Sep 7, 2003, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Both the EVO engines at the dealership (new) had surface rust on it - very aparent when you look at the block from the top after lifting the hood. I've not seen this before
Last time I checked bare cast iron blocks WILL get surface rust within a short period no matter who it is made by
BTW, yes the blocks are not aluminum they are cast iron
Old Sep 7, 2003, 08:41 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Cast iron and getting rained on from the cowl. Although its not the prettiest thing to look at, its 100% normal.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crap Al! I was shocked to see those rust pics.

Now I'm not sure if I wanna get an EVO if its gonna become a rust bucket. let us know if you find any more rust
Old Sep 7, 2003, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Noize
I've taken all the other "the sky is falling" Evo posts with a grain of salt, but this really pisses me off.

The warranty fully protects us against this, but I'm not filled with reassurance about quality control seeing rust like that on a very new car.

Everyone, check your car. If there are more than one like this, we need to do something about it immediately. Mitsubishi can not/will not ignore a glowering problem of this magnitude, I guarantee it.
The last thing I want is my car to turn into a rust bucket, then get someone to try to match the factory black paint.

Al, thanks for the heads up!
whats most disturbing to me is that this is occuring on a KEY structural area - - if this rust went any further is would start to effect the bumper beam support's strength and after a while it would prob be very weak - NOT what you want when a suv smacks you at 40 mph

That boeing wax sounds great

I LOVE my EVO But I assumed that the japs had this type of rusting under control - - - someone one told me that they design in rust areas like this in deep frame areas to make the cars fall apart in 7 - 8 years so you'll have to buy a new one

In any event - I was shocked to say the least when i saw that !
Old Sep 7, 2003, 09:39 PM

Something else interesting here is the location of the rust. From what I can gather reading the description and viewing the picture, the rust is occurring in one of the newest structural parts of the evo: between the bumper beam (new for u.s. only) and the chassis/bumper.

Perhaps they did not foresee that moisture would be trapped between the two pieces of metal, or did not design the mating surfaces correctly to ward off rust.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by PToast
Something else interesting here is the location of the rust. From what I can gather reading the description and viewing the picture, the rust is occurring in one of the newest structural parts of the evo: between the bumper beam (new for u.s. only) and the chassis/bumper.

Perhaps they did not foresee that moisture would be trapped between the two pieces of metal, or did not design the mating surfaces correctly to ward off rust.
I think you hit the nail right on the head man - its a US crash test dummy issue - they are prob not used to that heavy bumper beam
Old Sep 7, 2003, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Man thanks for that info Al! I wasn't expecting that picture, thats for sure!! We may all be able to ward off some really F@c%ed-up rust damage down-stream thanks to your constant monkeying around with your car .

You should seriously consider contacting MMC with that picture, and ask them if this is normal rust for a new car? If they ask why you have the beam out, you can always say you got the pic from Shiv! Jk ...Shiv

In all truth, I could imagine that pic would cause some MMC folks to lose a little sleep!

N10S
Old Sep 7, 2003, 11:41 PM

After looking at the pictures will the Evo have problems with rusting away as the car gets older .
Old Sep 8, 2003, 12:47 AM

has anyone gone to Satan about this issue
Old Sep 8, 2003, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

dam, i gotta check on mine also...
Old Sep 8, 2003, 05:02 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Pulled the bumper rear clip apart this morning, per Al's instructions. Zero rust. I will continue to watch it, as I was able to get it apart in about 10-15 minutes. Hopefully this is a freak isolated case. I was thinking about that marine stuff a guy mentioned, but now I'm going to hold off until I see what others find.

Its not that hard of a job, people, and worth checking. Please post your results!

Seth
Old Sep 8, 2003, 05:33 AM

I am interested to see what other people are finding.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

You've gotta be kidding
Old Sep 8, 2003, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by N10S
Man thanks for that info Al! I wasn't expecting that picture, thats for sure!! We may all be able to ward off some really F@c%ed-up rust damage down-stream thanks to your constant monkeying around with your car .

You should seriously consider contacting MMC with that picture, and ask them if this is normal rust for a new car? If they ask why you have the beam out, you can always say you got the pic from Shiv! Jk ...Shiv

In all truth, I could imagine that pic would cause some MMC folks to lose a little sleep!

N10S
Forget going to MMC about this issue, go to NHTSB about this and they will make MMC recall all the cars for new rust coating at NO CHARGE!!!!

Quick Reply: Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]