Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]

Old Oct 14, 2003, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wait you have to wait for a MITSU rep at a MITSU dealership?!? sounds like he just wanted to get rid of you.......
Old Oct 14, 2003, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

ya thats what i figured. he said the rep had to take a look at it. I think ill stop by again today to see what he says.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Ha, I've got that reply from the serviceman before--'did you buy it here.' What the hell does it make a difference?
Old Oct 14, 2003, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Mine said that too, and the rep acted like he was crazy for telling me that in the first place. I think that most all Mitsu dealers are gunshy to ok anything that needs to get done on an Evo.

Mine is getting fixed by shop of my choosing for no charge, btw.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

XRS-Lift, what did you say you took it in for? Usually you have to make an appiontment to see the rep. They have reps asigned to differant regions, then they have certain days they go to each dealer to deal with procedure as well as complaintes. That is what I had to do. I had a cracked headlight lense that the dealer didn't want to fix because they said I couldn'tprove that I didn't hit something. The crack was up under the hood and there were no marks on the outside but, they still said I hit something. The Mitsu rep took one look at it and told them to replace it. Go see the rep, you never know. I thought it was a waist of time, too.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

i went and talked to the guy. He prettymuch either wanted to give me the runaround or just thought my evo was the only one rusting. Thank god for this site i said well all evos are like this, even this guys is rusting "pointing at another evo owner there. So he told me to make an appointment to see the dude and bring a printout of the threads on this "forum" i spoke of. I asked him if he had internet access at the dealership, he said ya and BAM. Took him to this forum, showed him the threads and the MANY pics posted by u awsome guys and he was totally on my side after that. Once u show them proof that ur not just some *****y whiny *** customer and it is a real problem, they side with you.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 01:52 AM

"Then you have to go to the dealer u got it at"

My reaction would have been simple. Pimp slap the **** out of the person that told you that. Probably get in trouble for it hehe, but he would never say such a thing again.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

I had my evo on a lift last night and the entire undercarriage and back area around the rear bumper has been undercoated. I wonder if the dealer undercoated the car after hearing about the rust problems. BTW, no rust in any other areas where there is no undercoating. Those areas have been coated with wax-like material. Weird!

Matt
Old Oct 15, 2003, 08:23 AM

Place of purchase

Just a few notes about the response(s) you got from the dealer. The "Did you buy it here?" may be a legitimate question. I can't say specifically about Mitsu, but I do know for a fact that some OEM's require that the car be returned to the point of purchase, rather than burden another dealer with warranty work - if the second dealer (the one where it wasn't purchased) is within a certain distance from the dealer wher it was taken for the work- If I remeber correctly it was 40 miles. For example: If I purchase my car at daeler A and then take my car to dealer B, who is only 15 miles from dealer A, dealer B is required to tell the customer to return the car to the dealer where it was purchased (dealer A).

If there was a problem with the dealer where the car was purchased then it would take the intervention of the factory rep (sometimes just a phonecall) to approve having the work done at another dealer.

OTOH, some OEM's require all dealers, regardless of distance or purchase status to perform warranty work on their makes. However, the dealers do have the right to scheduling priority. In other words they can give their customers scheduling preference over a car not purchased at their dealership - so the wait may be longer.

As for that "They get paid for warranty work" line we so often hear - it is true, the OEM pays the dealer for warranty work performed. However, they are paid per a time/labor guide that oft times has no relationship to the real time required to perform the work. Usually a losing proposition for the dealer. Not all warranty work falls in this category, Sometimes recalls are homeruns because they are performing the same task over and over and over again and get very proficient at it - thus beating the allowed time.

Something like rust - especially on vehicles as new as the Evo's - would have to be examined by a Mitsu factory rep. It would get bounced on submission for payment if a dealer made the decision for a repaint or repair. They are just CYA.

Sorry for the length, just thought this needed some clarification.

Adios,

Fusoguy
Old Oct 15, 2003, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Whenever a dealer asks if you bought it there, ALWAYS say yes regardless of whether it is the truth or not.

SC~
Old Oct 15, 2003, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Be sure to remove and advertising on your car from dealerships as well. I still enjoy removing them right after they affix them to a car before I drive it off the lot. If they aren't paying me to advertise, I'm not going to be a charity billboard for them.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Well i didnt want to drive all the way to the dealer i got it from. I was going to buy it from this specific dealer but they didnt have the color i wanted at the time. Also im not very fond of the dealer i got it at so i dont want them working on my car anyway. This dealer is somewhat close to my house so i would rather have them familiar with my car, plus they havnt said anything that would indicate they are not mod friendly. Anyway, im taking my car back soon and we will see what they do. Ill keep u posted.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

My car is rusting on the outside!!!(body)
My dealer told me the rep would be in town at the end of the month.
He told me he would call me for an appointment when he knew the exact day.
This will be my third trip to the dealer for this problem.

I think the dealers only get 66% of what they would normally charge if it is warranty work.(I think?)
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
took mine to my dealer on last friday, made an appointment for tuesday, went in yesterday, head tech helped me disassemble it all, I be him lunch that I had rust, we pulled it off and lo and behold, was really funny having all of the people from the dealership asking what the hell we were doing and then when they walked back by and saw the rust all they could say was "damn, that's not right", had dealership run me over to Lowe's to pick up some rustoleum, took the affected areas down to bare metal and sprayed two coats on them, while the paint was drying I put the car up on the lift and replaced my paint on crap gaskets for my UR test pipe with some homemade jobbies me and the head tech cut out, if you ask me, getting that bumper off sucked, but then again I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to fit, btw, be careful when tightening those bolts from the inside of the trunk towards the rear for the bumper, my driver side one snapped off hell I didn't even have the thing tightened all the way down when it snapped, and it wasn't cross threaded, good luck to all on this, my dealership was super cool, hell they aren't even the ones who I purchased my Evo from.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
Whenever a dealer asks if you bought it there, ALWAYS say yes regardless of whether it is the truth or not.

SC~
What happens when they find out that you didn't buy it there.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]