Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]

Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I know exactly why this is occuring. Any engineer can tell you why just by looking at the kind of rust that is occuring and how it is occuring. This is called "disimilar metal corrosion". It occurs with two materials of different ION charge that stay in touch with each other for prolonged periods of time. A metal with a high ION content will want to transfer positively charged IONS to a metal with less IONS. This occurs most when humidity is present, as the water also will carry an additional positve ION charge. It has nothing to do with the paint and exfoliation will start to occur anyway if this is not treated. I saw some people start painting the cars again, and that is great, but your best bet is the get "Zinc Chromate Primer" from an Aviation store or small aircraft store. This is designed to stop any kind of ION transfer from metals such as steel to galvanized metals and aluminum and such. Sand it back down a lot to get the damaged metal off (not just rust), then spray with Zinc Chromate Primer.

I have a few degrees in engineering and the aicraft industry. trust me on this one.

As usual, Mitsu screwed up again. What else is new.

Goddluck, and I hope this helps!
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GaryChios
Hey guys, I know exactly why this is occuring. Any engineer can tell you why just by looking at the kind of rust that is occuring and how it is occuring. This is called "disimilar metal corrosion". It occurs with two materials of different ION charge that stay in touch with each other for prolonged periods of time. A metal with a high ION content will want to transfer positively charged IONS to a metal with less IONS. This occurs most when humidity is present, as the water also will carry an additional positve ION charge. It has nothing to do with the paint and exfoliation will start to occur anyway if this is not treated. I saw some people start painting the cars again, and that is great, but your best bet is the get "Zinc Chromate Primer" from an Aviation store or small aircraft store. This is designed to stop any kind of ION transfer from metals such as steel to galvanized metals and aluminum and such. Sand it back down a lot to get the damaged metal off (not just rust), then spray with Zinc Chromate Primer.

I have a few degrees in engineering and the aicraft industry. trust me on this one.

As usual, Mitsu screwed up again. What else is new.

Goddluck, and I hope this helps!
Except the body construction section of the shop manual shows both parts as steel w/o zinc coating.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

i need to go back to school....lol
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by strat

Except the body construction section of the shop manual shows both parts as steel w/o zinc coating.
They might be the same base material, but the alloys used wiuth the steel have to have two different alloy material percentages for this to happen.
If you take both pieces to a metalurgy lab, they can analize for you.

Trust me, I know this subject very well, and I use to do Aircraft Inspections, and this can be a common problem.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

What about up front where it's plastic and metal contact?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=intake+rust
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by n00dle

Thats pitting, I cant tell why that happened. It could be the quality of the alloy

Thanks
-Gary A
Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by n00dle

The paint just worn away. I added 3m paint protection film to the area, as shown in the other thread. In my case the paint showed wear but the area had not worn down to the metal.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:00 AM

Has anyone gone to their dealer about this? And what has the dealer said to you? I plan on checking out my car as soon as I can (Silver Evo, 5/2003 build date) I bet you it's rusted. I'm going to check the paint/corrosion warantee. Car does not even have 1000 miles on i!!! We could probably get a class action suit againt Mitsu for this. I had a 1997 Eclipse GSX for almost 7 years, not one spot of rust on it, affter sitting in many NY winters.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:04 AM

These issues should be addressed period!

recall is eminant.

You shouldnt be dealing with this at all.. contact the dealer for all of us .

cheers

gino
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Doesn't seem like anyone's let the dealer know yet. No one's reported back if they did.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

How is this occuring?
Consider the following picture. What is shown is that the areas rusting in fact have no paint on them. What occurred is that Mitsubishi bolted up the bumper beam to the unibody prior to any painting. Recall that the first step is a hot dip, followed by various spray coats.

Thus raw metal is bolted to raw metal then the assembly is dipped. Some of the interface is coated while portions are not. The material is not able to fully penetrate the interface. Over time water is able to penetrate the interface and rust occurs.

You can bet that Mitsubishi knows exactly what is occurring from these pictures given they know the production work instructions. Now how long will it take for someone to admit to this? My bet is never....

Last edited by strat; Oct 3, 2003 at 04:47 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

And close up of the raw metal area.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Can anyone come up with other areas that may have rust potentially building up. So far it's the rear bumper beam that is being noted by many here. Has anyone checked the front bumper beam to see if there's rust there?
Old Oct 3, 2003, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

If a sufficient amount of owners write to the NHTSA, they will start an investigation. If they find that the rust negatively affects the bumper assembly integrity (duh) they will likely rule it a safety hazard and require a recall.
So, forget the lawsuit stuff, just write to the NHTSA. More effective and forces real action by to improve their production process.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

**** i just came home with a silver one LOL.
Gary thanks for th info. I guess i know what im doing this weekend to my evo with only 48 miles on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]