Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2003, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bumper beam issue is easy to fix with a sanding disk and a can of pray paint

what really pisses me off is the ILL fitting rear door and resulting paint chips on the lading edge of the quarter panel - - I really dont like the idea of having the quater panel re-sprayed - basically to me its a nightmare
Old Sep 20, 2003, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarmac Black with rust

Only 3 months of ownership and 5000 short miles, and mine was in the same shape. Kudos to Al for finding this in the early stages - it was spreading pretty heavily. With the dremel, sandpaper, and some Rustoleum primer and paint - the situation is now under control. Tomorrow I'm going layer a clearcoat on it, then set 3 coats of Zaino (which has excellent paint protection qualities among other things).

The details are now on my webiste (in signature) as well. Will add more pics to the site tomorrow after the zaino goes on.

Enjoy!

Old Sep 21, 2003, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Tarmac Black with rust

Originally posted by AvatarOfWar
Only 3 months of ownership and 5000 short miles, and mine was in the same shape. Kudos to Al for finding this in the early stages - it was spreading pretty heavily.
So what your pictures show is that the rear beam was attached to the car before the full paint process was completed! Basically it looks like they attached the beam over the zinc based primer coat. This along with the void in the firewall seam on my car leaves me questioning Mitsubishi's quality.

I think that the correct protection is a protective wax spray such as this product,

Wurth Protective Wax Spray

I have seen alternatives at auto body paint stores.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

You think you could spray that w/o taking off the bumper?
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EVO_RPM
You think you could spray that w/o taking off the bumper?
No, because the rust is under the bumper support which is bolted onto the frame. you can't get it until you take it off.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Its very easy to take off - took me like 20 mins

Take out the tail lights

Two 10 mm screws in the rear wheel wells - one inside the quarter pannels on each side in the trunk - - 4 10 mm screws in the back of the trunk and then a 10 mm and a snap on each side under the tail lights - two 12's on each side to take the beam off - - its worth a peak

And about 17 lbs OFF your car !!!
I'm no mechanic, so I can't find the "4 10mm screws in the back of the trunk." Where exactly is that? I took off the plastic piece in the trunk where the latch goes, but there's no screws there. Am I looking in the totally wrong place?
Old Sep 21, 2003, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Thoe99
I'm no mechanic, so I can't find the "4 10mm screws in the back of the trunk." Where exactly is that? I took off the plastic piece in the trunk where the latch goes, but there's no screws there. Am I looking in the totally wrong place?
After you take off the pastic piece, you need to crane your head around to the inside of the back of the car looking into the small holes in the inner trunk metal, near the top lip. There are 4 screws sticking out of the bumper and being held into place by 4 10mm bolts. Carefully remove them as not to drop them down into the abyss between the two body panels - lost forever.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

just got word from my dealer... (who has hooked me up with no problems at all for my clutch.. recall leak check... and now the rear bumper rust) that my car will be ready to be picked up tomorrow at noon... today i sent it off to a local bodyshop of my choice to get the rust problem fixed.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
The bumper beam issue is easy to fix with a sanding disk and a can of pray paint
Why the **** should anyone have to take apart their brand new $30k car and sand and spraypaint a part of it? Absolutely unacceptable.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by JRock

Why the **** should anyone have to take apart their brand new $30k car and sand and spraypaint a part of it? Absolutely unacceptable.
$30k is nothing for a car.

I like taking my car apart.

Every car has rust.

Acceptability is relative.

and Finally, if you take the car to Mitsu they would be happy to do it for you (if you own an Evo, that is), I just like working on the car.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:13 PM

I disagree. Every car doesn't have rust. I have a 1993 Chrysler and I cannot find any rust on it. The unit-body was treated and painted before the bumpers and fenders were put on. So far, I'm glad that I haven't bought an Evo yet. Bad paint, rust, clutch issues, tranny complaints, etc. For $30K, one shouldn't have to worry about rust - on a 2 month old car. No way. Do we all agree that Mitsubishi has a quality control problem? Too bad Toyota doesn't build something to compete with the Evo
Old Sep 24, 2003, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Too bad generalisations are such a good display of incomplete knowledge.
A few EVO's show up with surface rust on the bumper assembly and immediately has quality problems
Lets keep things in the realm of reality, shall we.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by kitra
I disagree. Every car doesn't have rust. I have a 1993 Chrysler and I cannot find any rust on it. The unit-body was treated and painted before the bumpers and fenders were put on. So far, I'm glad that I haven't bought an Evo yet. Bad paint, rust, clutch issues, tranny complaints, etc. For $30K, one shouldn't have to worry about rust - on a 2 month old car. No way. Do we all agree that Mitsubishi has a quality control problem? Too bad Toyota doesn't build something to compete with the Evo

thx for the laugh.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by AvatarOfWar

$30k is nothing for a car.
I shouldn't have bothered putting the price in there... ANY NEW CAR... NONE OF THEM should have RUST. wtf.

I don't even own one and I'm angry. I'm angry because the car is everything I want - turbo, AWD, 4-door, name-brand parts on it stock, good performance, good handling, everything. But it's made by so it's turning out to be a typical low-quality automobile. Subaru is barely better.

I wish Honda, Toyota, and Nissan made AWD, turbo, high-performance cars for $30k because then there'd be some quality and reliability to back up the performance instead of taking a gamble on a second-tier Japanese brand which has a much much greater potential to be a problematic lemon than a first-tier brand car does.

Some of you have no problems with your Evos - good for you! Consider yourselves lucky. I no longer believe I can take a $30,000 chance to reach that position too, especially when the odds are greatly against me and I'd be stuck with it if it had problems because dealers certainly don't want to fix anything on the car and the resale is going to be absolute crap on them when word gets around about all the issues going on with them.

I have to say that right now I'd feel more confident putting down close to the same price for a Ford Mustang Mach 1, and I'd never buy a Ford because they're always plagued with problems and quality control issues, but you know what, at least the ****er wouldn't have RUST ON IT.

Last edited by JRock; Sep 25, 2003 at 03:22 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by JRock

I have to say that right now I'd feel more confident putting down close to the same price for a Ford Mustang Mach 1, and I'd never buy a Ford because they're always plagued with problems and quality control issues, but you know what, at least the ****er wouldn't have RUST ON IT.
what planet are you from? I had an '02 GT a couple cars ago, and it had all kinds of quality issues. Don't get me wrong, I loved that car, but I'm easy to please and I don't let real world things like broken parts or rust bother me. I calmly take care of them, and go back to enjoying the car.

If you think Honda's don't rust, all I ask is that you please share whatever drugs you are on. $30k cars rust, and here's a newsflash - so do $100k cars.

For the record, it took me all of a few hours to address this "serious" issue that keeps you from owning the car of your dreams, and I'm not a mechanic or even very experienced at removing body panels and such. This is also the first time I've sanded rust, primered and painted it as well. If you're not ready to get your hands a little dirty, performance cars probably aren't going to make you happy in the long run.

Quick Reply: Evo's Rust Issues [MEGA MERGE]