Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock Sub w/rear strut brace??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Sub w/rear strut brace??

ok so i got a rear strut brace finally (just kept forgetting to get one lol) and i relized when i looked in my trunk the stock Sub in the SSL is covering the shock tower... so what i wanted to know was has anyone installed a strut brace while retaining the stock sub in that location?...I dont have a problem modifing it and i will almost definately be keeping the sub there, i just wanted to see if anyone has come up with any solutions that look good... any pictures etc

theres gotta be someone who has done this, i cant be the first to decide i wanted to keep the stock sub there
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

What are you hoping to gain from a rear strut tower brace? I have heard it doesn't do much (other than look good). Maybe racing in reverse?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binarysleep
What are you hoping to gain from a rear strut tower brace? I have heard it doesn't do much (other than look good). Maybe racing in reverse?
dude i picked it up for nothing, regardless your chassis can never be too stiff, i autocrossed this past summer and this upcoming summer would liek to try my hand at some smaller TA events, im hoping to gain whatever i can gain from it, but the stock location of the SSL sub is also perfect and prevents the sub from sloshing around if it was in a sub box

i simply want to know if anyone has modified there stock sub to fit a rear strut brace

please only respond to post pictures or answer my question, not to ask why i want to do it, ive stated my reasons, that should suffice
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:17 AM
SME
Evolved Member

I know people that just ziptied the sub to the brace lol
Old Feb 23, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

from what i am told you cant use both
Old Feb 23, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

I also have a SSL, and have also wondered about putting a rear brace in...I haven't yet, but have you considered cutting into the sub enclosure. I haven't looked at the sub in awhile, so I am not sure where it is mounted in relation to the rear shock towers, but maybe just a small amount of trimming will make the two work together?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I dont think it is possible. As you said the sub sits right on the rear tower. Therefore it would be impossible to bolt it up to the tower because the sub is right there. You would pretty much need to hack open the box then modify it to fit then seal it back up. Dont think that would happen or be worthwhile. What if you do what I did and sell your stock sub and replace it with a small powered sub like a basslink?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think the two are compatible. I thought about it, but decided I didn't want to compromise my sound for something I probably couldn't feel anyway. For you, I would suggest removing the sub, installing the bar and letting a sound shop custom build a box that is compatible with the bar.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

it just isn't possible. i think there are a few companies that make an enclosure that fits in the front left corner of the trunk.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

ive made fiberglass sub enclosures before but i think it is possible to modify the sub, but i dont think its gunna be an easy fix, i will be attempting it as soon as my friend gives me the brace this weekend, i will let everyone know how it turns out, with pictures as well, or i will let you guys know if it is completely worthless attempt and i fail miserably lol , either way this will settle the matter for good since if it is possible in anyway it will be happening
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there was a thread on how to modify the mounting points not too long ago