Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

License Plate Lights - Not Working

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2009, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
License Plate Lights - Not Working

As the title states, I noticed that my liscense plate lights were not working the other day. Actually they probably haven't been working since some idiot rear ended my car almost 2 years ago.

I am wondering if there are any quick locations to check before I start probing. I don't have a wiring diagram currently and I plan on checking that once I get home from work.

My plan is to first check the bulbs, then check the voltage at the bulbs, and then check fuses. If I don't find the problem then I am taking it back to the body shop to let them have fun with it. I'd rather just get this fixed myself.

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks...
Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

yeah first check the bulbs obvisiouly then make sure there is power going to them... if theres no power there then check the wiring connections, there is a connection on the back drivers side that the licenses plate lights connect to and if thats plugged in then check fuses... hope this helps!!
Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on checking the bulbs and connection behind the bumper cover. When I did the JDM bumper swap I forgot to plug that one back in and almost got a ticket for not having plate lights.

Josh
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
+1 on checking the bulbs and connection behind the bumper cover. When I did the JDM bumper swap I forgot to plug that one back in and almost got a ticket for not having plate lights.

Josh
haha me to thats how i figured it out!!!
Old Apr 7, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the suggestion on the connector on the drivers side.

I will follow up but my guess is that it is probably the connector unless the bulbs are super fragile and broke upon the collision.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

i got in a rear end collision and my bulbs didnt crack but the connector did which made the connection become undone but with some electrical tape i was able to put the two ends back together and tape them solid and they work perfect noW!
Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Well I have checked the bulbs/voltage and the bulbs look fine and no voltage. I have checked the 7.5A fuses and they were fine and should be fine considering my rear tail light works. One thing I just also noticed was that the side marker lights weren't working either.

I have a feeling that there is a problem somewhere around the connector F-12 in the wiring. F-12 is connected but I still need to check the voltage there. If I have voltage, I probably have an issue with the bumper harness.
Attached Thumbnails License Plate Lights - Not Working-wiring.bmp  
Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

your side markers and licenses plate light are both on the same harness that i was saying comes unplugged sometimes in a crash so if you checked that then im not sure what else could be the problem
and i cant open the image to see which wire you are talking about if you could post it again it would be great
Old Apr 9, 2009, 05:16 PM

bulb, power, fuse ,then any grounds
Old Apr 22, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evil-evo
bulb, power, fuse ,then any grounds
I probably need to check the grounding... Checked bulbs, probed for power, checked the fusing (I'd have more problems than I do if it was this) but I have not probed for ground continuity.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

have you gotten an electrial tester to test to see if you have power going to the ends of the wires... and have you checked the connection behinth the bumper?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, considering the OP either found his problem and didn't post the solution or just said eff it and ran without them, I'm going to bump/commandeer this thread, since I'm in this boat. As it actually turns out, I've been in this boat since I bought the car, but didn't know until this past winter until a friend pointed it out.

At this juncture, I know these things:

1) These lights are part of the circuit for the driver's tail light. That works fine, and as such the fuse is good (I did physically check despite it not being necessary).

2) The wiring harness in the bumper is not broken, a continuity test reveals a complete circuit.

3) The chassis side of the harness reads 0v across.

4) My trunk light assembly is a continuous circuit through the bulb, yet that is not functional either, nor does it receive voltage at the harness.

Things I intend to check at this juncture:

1) Verify that voltage exists at the start of the lighting harness under the dash.

2) Check the quality of the ground for the lights. From what I can tell it's inside the trunk.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I just went for inspection and my rear bumper lights don't work, my passenger rear running light works, driver's side does not. My driver side brake and running lights were burned out as were the bumper lights yet the passenger were fine. I can't find the problem. Thanks!