Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How exactly does the stock radiator fan work (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The man has no idea what the wires are for, but advises on using them. LOL. Folly I tell you...
Old May 15, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Just take the fan out completely and never look back. Been running without one for a year now temp never moved from where it used to be.
Old May 15, 2009, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The man has no idea what the wires are for, but advises on using them. LOL. Folly I tell you...
hmph here BTW
Old May 16, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The OEM fan, the one on the driver's side, is variable speed. The box is the controller.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazybaldhead
The box works like this:

it takes a signal from your coolant temp sensor on the head, near the thermostat, figures out if your car is moving or not and switches the engine fan on slow speed only at 92 deg C (in a VII) if the temp gets to 97-98, then both fans come on at high speed until temps are less than 91 deg C.

(I live in Trinidad and it gets to 32-34 deg C here every day)

if you turn on your AC it bypasses this controller and puts on the fans on high speed regularly and the engine temps hover around 85-90 de C.

If you bypass the box and run the fan on all the time the following will happen:

You will lose power due to parasitic drag on your alternator.
Your battery and Alternator will not last as long as they should
Mileage will decrease.
Your fan may not last very long either. On a cool morning with no stops for traffic in my 30 min commute the fans may never even come on. Now imagine the fan being on all the time, it puts much more wear on the fan.

lastly, the car will actually run HOTTER at highway speed that if the fan were cutting out and coning on as it should.
Originally Posted by bruce988jl
Well I guess I could chime in on this. I work for Bosch Automotive and do testing with radiator fans and motors so yea...

I'm not sure exactly about the one on our cars (lancers alike) but I believe its a PWM, pulse width modulator that basically has a bunch of high current transistors that allow it to regulate the speed of the radiator fan at any given time. So it takes the 12v going in and runs it through the transistors at a high switching frequency allowing for the ECU to control what speed the fan spins at. Technically if you bypass it the fan would just constantly stay on at max speed.

Keep in mind this is based off the Bosch FCM (Fan Control Modules) that I've dealt with...

Hope that helps...?
Originally Posted by barneyb
The OEM fan, the one on the driver's side, is variable speed. The box is the controller.
Have been looking for this info for two days. Thanks

I would like to remove this control box but sounds important in a DD.

Was thinking you could use the signal wire from the ECM to trigger a relay to the fan?